Questions from a new Christian

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Questions from a new Christian

Post by Stu »

Ivellious wrote:I'm not sure we're on the same page. lements have not, to my knowledge, ever changed how they react and interact. H2O has always been water. Carbon has always had the unique adaptability to make 4 bonds. The laws of chemistry are, to our knowledge, not randomly shifting. Can you explain what you mean by "the effects the element has" means?

I understand that C-14 dating isn't perfect. But in return, I ask this: If we want to revoke all the different dating methods, how do you explain dinosaurs? How do you explain the fact that there is zero historical evidence to show that humans have ever interacted with them, or any of the other thousands of now-extinct fossilized creatures out there? You said Genesis specifically references these questions. Where again?
Indeed, how do we explain dinosaurs, in particular 150 million year old tissue samples!

It's all about assumptions, or as this article refers to, the "power of the paradigm" can be blinding. The "deep time" mentality is fixed in evolutionists (and even some creationists) and any evidence to the contrary simply requires an extraordinary explanation to wish it away; rather than the obvious one.
And these "fresh tissue finds" are now becoming more frequent as scientists know to actually look for them...

Dinosaur Bones Crack Open Surprises: Original Tissue

Sensational dinosaur blood report!

More Soft Tissue Found in Old Fossils
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member

Post by Ukranianlys »

Another question i just recently came up upon, Predestination, sense i know that most of you dislike the fact of people asking questions that have already been answered i look up quite a few posts, but none of them gave me a really strait answer to the problem: "If God knows what choice your going to make (lets say in the case of you choosing a red snowcone over a blue one) he knows your going to pick the blue one, that takes the free will out of it, and if he doesnt know which one your going to choose that he isnt Omniscient" any answers to this? im couldnt find one for the man who asked me this
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ukranianlys wrote:Another question i just recently came up upon, Predestination, sense i know that most of you dislike the fact of people asking questions that have already been answered i look up quite a few posts, but none of them gave me a really strait answer to the problem: "If God knows what choice your going to make (lets say in the case of you choosing a red snowcone over a blue one) he knows your going to pick the blue one, that takes the free will out of it, and if he doesnt know which one your going to choose that he isnt Omniscient" any answers to this? im couldnt find one for the man who asked me this
Ukranianlys, It's really pretty simple. If I can grasp this, then anybody can. God knows what color snowcone you will choose, because He's omniscient. But, you still have to choose for yourself which snowcone you want. Your choosing is where your freewill comes in. If you choose the blue one, then you were predestined to do so. But God would also know if you chose the blue one, then changed your mind, and picked the red one. In our universe, where we are bound by time, we have the freewill to make certain choices. God, who created the universe, and is not bound by time, can see everything, past, present and future, in a way that we cannot, because we are limited to this universe. Capiche?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member

Post by Ukranianlys »

Yes sir, thank you for that, it makes it very simple
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Ukranianlys wrote:Another question i just recently came up upon, Predestination, sense i know that most of you dislike the fact of people asking questions that have already been answered i look up quite a few posts, but none of them gave me a really strait answer to the problem: "If God knows what choice your going to make (lets say in the case of you choosing a red snowcone over a blue one) he knows your going to pick the blue one, that takes the free will out of it, and if he doesnt know which one your going to choose that he isnt Omniscient" any answers to this? im couldnt find one for the man who asked me this
There's also the fact that God can choose not to see. By this I mean he created the world and chose to interact with it in real-time, as we perceive it.

So as the Israelites moved through the desert God interacted with them and aided them as their journey unfolded.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
mikedmorgan
Newbie Member

Post by mikedmorgan »

Kurieuo wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:Kurieuo - have you ever considered Christianity? It might answer some of your skeptisms
y:-? It answers too many of life's questions and many things we tend to innately hold as true. That's got to make it wrong doesn't it? Too much of an elephant perhaps. ;)
The fact that Christianity answers "too many questions" should strike you as proof of it's truth, not proof of it's falsehood. You MUST determine whether the answers that Christianity gives are true or false. If they are true then you have nothing to do, but follow. If they are false, then you must continue to seek until you find the answers you are looking for. I personally believe that if you are honestly looking for truth, and not an easy way out, then you will always end up following Christ in the end. Read "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis. It's a good place to start as far as rational thought on Christianity goes....
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

mikedmorgan wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:Kurieuo - have you ever considered Christianity? It might answer some of your skeptisms
y:-? It answers too many of life's questions and many things we tend to innately hold as true. That's got to make it wrong doesn't it? Too much of an elephant perhaps. ;)
The fact that Christianity answers "too many questions" should strike you as proof of it's truth, not proof of it's falsehood. You MUST determine whether the answers that Christianity gives are true or false. If they are true then you have nothing to do, but follow. If they are false, then you must continue to seek until you find the answers you are looking for. I personally believe that if you are honestly looking for truth, and not an easy way out, then you will always end up following Christ in the end. Read "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis. It's a good place to start as far as rational thought on Christianity goes....
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Kurieuo was making a funny in that post. He's a moderator here, and a Christian.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

mikedmorgan wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Ahh CS Lewis. He was rational and then he converted to Christianity, so Mere Christianity must be nothing more than the writings of someone deluded. I got much better things to do with my time than waste it reading something that would make so much sense of the Christian or Theistic position.

Sorry, I'll stop. I'm just characterising what I see often going on with those who often debate on the other side (non-Christian). In fact, making some allusions to posters on this board, but I won't name names. ;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
mikedmorgan wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Kurieuo was making a funny in that post. He's a moderator here, and a Christian.
You trying to ruin my fun? y[-(
Wozzo
Newbie Member

Post by Wozzo »

Reading your testimony, it could almost have been mine, apart from a few minor differences.

Just one question, why Young Earth ?

I believe that the Creation story fits with the findings of science, and apart from the '6 days' issue it all follows neatly and aligns. For me 6 days is a statement of 6 stages.

Maybe thats a bit simplistic, however apart from the time dilation theory I have seen it does produce a paradox that conflicts with current science to believe that the world and the universe is only a fairly recent creation, and I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

Everything else is not an issue if the timeline can be explained. i.e. God din't say that Dinosaurs wouldn't exist, nor does Creation rule out the mechanism to allow intra species genetic mutation, and development of change (i.e. growth and development).

Cheers

wozzo
Bovey
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Bovey »

Kurieuo wrote:
You're thinking finite, God made it as simple as possible. And the way that you're thinking might actually drive you in the opposite direction of christianity. No that doesn't make it wrong.
Mt. Olive Lutheran (LCMS)
Psalm 91
John 3:27-28
Ukranianlys
Familiar Member

Post by Ukranianlys »

Just a quick question, how can I trust that this web site tells the truth? Or other christians? In a book I read that atheists were 4 times more likely to go to jail, but when looked it up, it was the exact opposite and that Christians and other religious people populated jail more than their non religious counterparts?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ukranianlys wrote:Just a quick question, how can I trust that this web site tells the truth? Or other christians? In a book I read that atheists were 4 times more likely to go to jail, but when looked it up, it was the exact opposite and that Christians and other religious people populated jail more than their non religious counterparts?
First, you need to test what is said here, or anywhere else, in light of scripture. 1Thessalonians 5:21-22 21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; 22 abstain from every [a]form of evil.
In a book I read that atheists were 4 times more likely to go to jail, but when looked it up, it was the exact opposite and that Christians and other religious people populated jail more than their non religious counterparts?
Whether this is true, or not, I don't know. But, who's to say that people didn't become Christian after they were incarcerated?

-Edward R Murrow

Ukranianlys
Familiar Member

Post by Ukranianlys »

I see, thanks yet again, I will return if I have more questions
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Ukranianlys wrote:Just a quick question, how can I trust that this web site tells the truth? Or other christians? In a book I read that atheists were 4 times more likely to go to jail, but when looked it up, it was the exact opposite and that Christians and other religious people populated jail more than their non religious counterparts?
When in jail, what's the best and quickest way to get your sentence reduced? Say you've found God. Of course some people do actually find God in jail, but just sayin'.