Isaiah 65: 17 =<

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Isaiah 65: 17 =<

Post by Tina »

So this passage in the Bible continues to plague me. I'm actually sad about it if it means every single former thing. =,<
"for the former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind"
What about people..will we forget them? people we love..........I don't want to forget the people I love.......I don't care if it's past, future, present, life, or death.......love is love... why would we be made to forget that?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Isaiah 65: 17 =<

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Most Hebrew Scholars see this as a form of Hebrew Parallelism which is a poetic device used to make a strong point without necessarily being literally true (in the sense of prose). Other passages speak of God "forgetting our sins". God is all knowing and so it's not literally saying he will "forget" something in the sense that he remembers that something happened. What it's saying is His forgiveness is such that it will just as if we'd never sinned.

We won't forget people. People will be a part of heaven. Jesus' parables and teachings of heaven speak of specific people from the Old Testament who are in paradise. Be assured, while it may well prove that we're overwhelmed and joyful with all that will take place, there's no reason to believe on the basis of that verse that we will forget everything and everyone from our lives now.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Isaiah 65: 17 =<

Post by Tina »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Most Hebrew Scholars see this as a form of Hebrew Parallelism which is a poetic device used to make a strong point without necessarily being literally true (in the sense of prose). Other passages speak of God "forgetting our sins". God is all knowing and so it's not literally saying he will "forget" something in the sense that he remembers that something happened. What it's saying is His forgiveness is such that it will just as if we'd never sinned.

We won't forget people. People will be a part of heaven. Jesus' parables and teachings of heaven speak of specific people from the Old Testament who are in paradise. Be assured, while it may well prove that we're overwhelmed and joyful with all that will take place, there's no reason to believe on the basis of that verse that we will forget everything and everyone from our lives now.
Thank you, that really helps =>
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ