How good a proof of God's existence is this?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

How good a proof of God's existence is this?

Post by ultimate777 »

Bill: "God must exist."
Jill: "How do you know."
Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."

Is what Bill says all we really need to know on the subject of God's existence? After all, "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so" goes the song.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: How good a proof of God's existence is this?

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

It's good enough for me now that I know what I know, but might not be good enough for someone else who knows nothing of God's existence.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

If you are trying to win an argument or convince somebody with that logic, you're gonna lose. That's circular reasoning.

1. The Bible is God's word.
2. God's word is true.
3. It is true because the Bible says so.

In a logical argument, you can't say that the Bible proves itself without anything else. That would be fallacious.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Yeah Daniel220 makes a good point, for those who have additional knowledge on the subject that could suffice; but as for engaging in a straight up debate it's tricky ground.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

But it's circularity doesn't make it false.

Like you said, it's all I need to know, because of what I do know. But for those who don't know...well, it is foolishness. 1 Cor. 1:18
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

You're right, jlay, it doesn't make it false. But good luck convincing anyone who is not already a believer by using circular reasoning. Just saying that a book says it is right does not make for a very good argument by itself.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

This argument would work just as effectively if you substituted the Koran or any other religious text that talks about a deity in its place. I wouldn't rely on it much.

Bill: "God must exist."
Bill: "Because the [Koran] says so."
Jill: "Why should I believe the [Koran]?"
Bill: "Because the [Koran] was written by God."
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

OOOO my turn.

Bill: "Evolution must exist."
Bill: "Because the science book says so."
Jill: "Why should I believe the science book?"
Bill: "Because the science book was written by scientists."

:lol:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:OOOO my turn.

Very nice :)
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Tina »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:It's good enough for me now that I know what I know, but might not be good enough for someone else who knows nothing of God's existence.

Dan
What do you know that makes that good enough?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Tina wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:It's good enough for me now that I know what I know, but might not be good enough for someone else who knows nothing of God's existence.

Dan
What do you know that makes that good enough?

Thats a pretty big subject Tina, I don't know if I could cover everything but to be short there is plenty of evidence out there if you are willing to do a lot of reading, for example you could start on the mainsite and progress from there or there are many other sites available also for study.

Dan
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

ultimate777 wrote:Bill: "God must exist."

Is what Bill says all we really need to know on the subject of God's existence? After all, "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so" goes the song.
This argument wouldn't stand by itself as a formal argument. You could try to prove the statements there, however, and reword it so that it isn't fallacious. Off the top of my head-

If the Bible was written by God, then God exists.
The Bible was written by God
Therefore, God exists.

There the argument is solid, obviously you would need to prove the second premise. You could reword it so that you have less burden as far as how much you have to prove.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

ultimate777 wrote:Bill: "God must exist."
Ivellious wrote:If you are trying to win an argument or convince somebody with that logic, you're gonna lose. That's circular reasoning.

1. The Bible is God's word.
2. God's word is true.
3. It is true because the Bible says so.

In a logical argument, you can't say that the Bible proves itself without anything else. That would be fallacious.
Ive is right, it is circular. It is circular because it presumes God exists to prove God exists. For example, God must exist because the Bible was written by God. And how do you know the Bible was written by God? Because God exists... (or something akin to that).

I also cringe at the thought of Christians who would leave it at the "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so" song. Especially in those moments of life where one is feeling no love.
narnia4 wrote:This argument wouldn't stand by itself as a formal argument. You could try to prove the statements there, however, and reword it so that it isn't fallacious. Off the top of my head-

If the Bible was written by God, then God exists.
The Bible was written by God
Therefore, God exists.

There the argument is solid, obviously you would need to prove the second premise. You could reword it so that you have less burden as far as how much you have to prove.
This is formulated better, and the second really is a big task to try to prove to others. All it takes is for a non-Christian to make a judgement that it has some errors to disregard it entirely. And given our judgements are influenced by our existing beliefs and experiences, one is in a hard spot if they are going to try convince a non-Christian that God is real because the Bible was written by God. Furthermore, there probably isn't any one argument that will convince an Atheist that God is real.

But knowing reasons and having defenses will make one more secure in their beliefs which will also be more palatable to others who may not initially agree or are without an opinion.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Me too! Me too!

Bill: "The geologic column proves the earth is billions of years old."
Bill: "Because the fossil record dates the geologic column."
Jill: "Why should I believe the fossil record?"
Bill: "Because the geologic column dates the fossil record."
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Stu wrote:

Me too! Me too!

Bill: "The geologic column proves the earth is billions of years old."
Bill: "Because the fossil record dates the geologic column."
Jill: "Why should I believe the fossil record?"
Bill: "Because the geologic column dates the fossil record."
:pound: :pound: