Religion and Science Unification

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
skakos
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Religion and Science Unification

Post by skakos »

I have written an article about how belief in God can be based on Logic, while at the same time science is also based on faith. We should not forget that Aristotle (the founder of Logic) was a proponent of the existence of a First Cause while Godel (the world's greatest logician after... Aristotle) had also written a proof for the existence of God. The article can be found at http://harmonia-philosophica.blogspot.c ... ation.html or at http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.c ... lazj6wq-2/. I would love to here your comments.
Last edited by skakos on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Re: Religion and Science Unification

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi Skakos

I am still chewing my way through it, but I would like to say I am very impressed so far. Being a layman you have made it very easy to understand, I also like the format and structure which makes for easy reading.

The background colours are pretty cool to. ;)

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

Thanks Dan! Looking forward to more comments after you finish it!
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Welcome to the board skakos.

I will definately have a look

God Bless

Silvertusk.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I have finished reading it and I thought it was very insightful and engaging, the thing I liked about it the most was that it wasn't confrontational or abusive.
If I was an atheist reading that I wouldn't have been offended by anything, which I think is important for deeper thinking.

There were some typo's etc... but other than that I think you did a great job.
I am sure you will get some better critique's from other members who are smarter than me. :D

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

If "smart" is knowing what others have "proved", then I would very much wish to be stupid...
Your comments are valuable.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

skakos wrote:If "smart" is knowing what others have "proved", then I would very much wish to be stupid...
Your comments are valuable.

Thanks y>:D< y@};-
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

Most of the times "arguments" against religion are founded in a very twisted version of what "religion" is (but again, this is my opinion).
Religion is most about being human, while science is just a tool and nothing more...
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

And it is really funny that Dawkins, the high priest of atheism today, is a professor and teaching at the College of St. Mary... :)
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

Have updated the article with a new section about "Medicine", the old beloved "argument" or scientism lovers...
skakos
Familiar Member

Post by skakos »

Some additional arguments:
  • Exact science is good for many things, mainly things which are measurable and can be experimentally tested.
  • Exact science has limits. There are many things which cannot be measured or written down using mathematics. And these things are the most important things in life.
  • Intuition is as much as good a tool for learning about "reality" (if such thing even exists), as is logic. And there are many great scientific theories that have come out of the blue based on instinct.
  • The logic of many people (including many great mathematicians) tell them that a First Cause exists. The fact that the logic of other people does not lead to the same conclusion, does not negate the logic of the abovementioned people.
  • Religion should learn its limitations and scope, but so must Science...
And Science should stop from being dogmatic as it is now. Everything in science is based on axioms. And axioms are based on instinct and change constantly (see what happened with Eucledian Geometry). Stating that ideas like "materialism" are "scientifically correct" is pure and crude DOGMATISM.

If you think "logic" is the way to go and that logic is against God, think twice. Aristotle (the founder of Logic) and Godel (the second greatest logician after Aristotle) had logical arguments IN FAVOR of God...

On the other hand, what could we ask from religion to change? Could it change the moral values it believes in? Should we really want religion to change the "respect your mother and father" advice?