What made you decide to leave?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

What made you decide to leave?

Post by mum1983 »

This question is for those of you who have left church. What made you decide to leave in the end? Was it one big thing or many little things?

I am thinking of leaving my church of six months. If I'm completely honest, it's because some of the congregation has let me down. No one has been openly rude, but it's more little snubs--people being friendly in private, but at church on a Sunday, they walk right past without a word. At my Baptism, I shared with the church that I have anxiety and depression and one man who had never spoken to me before came over to tell me that he suffers with this as well. He told me that his wife is suffering also and that we should all get together sometime and meet up. I requested this man's friendship on facebook and he has ignored my request (I know this must be the case, because I can see him active on other friends' pages) and that has hurt me. I also have issues with another member who is very nosy and judgemental. I recently read somewhere that other church members shouldn't matter---you're there to praise God, but it's not that easy. Gearing myself up to talk to these people (there is no easy "escape" afterwards because they all congregate in the hall for tea and coffee afterwards) and put on a smiling face and act like nothing is wrong is really getting to me now. It's getting harder and harder for me to put on the fake cheery act. I want to tell these people what I really think of them, but I'm not able to do that. I feel like if I have to go through all this every Sunday, I shouldn't even be going. I should stay home or try to find a new church. On the other hand, I wonder if this is "The Enemy" trying to get to me. It's all upsetting no matter which way I look at it.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What made you decide to leave?

Post by jlay »

Sorry things aren't working out for you at this congregation.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

You're a Camaro driver in a Corvette club. Find another church and stop worrying about it.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I went through 3 churches before I found the one that I fit into, pray God for guidance.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.