Homeschooling

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Homeschooling

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Byblos, I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. 8)

On another note, my house is a mess. Would it be wrong of me, to host an OCD party?
:pound: Oh man that is just cruel (in a brilliant way). You have no idea, I will have a field day with that.
Ahh, now it makes sense why your Catholic Byblos. The rituals make you feel normal with the rosery, hail Marys and the like. :poke:
OCCD=Obsessive Compulsive Catholic Disorder. Byblos, your diagnosis is complete. Now, go and sin no more. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos, now I know why you're such a big NY Giants fan...your favorite player is Ocd Umenyiora.

Get it? :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Byblos, I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. 8)

On another note, my house is a mess. Would it be wrong of me, to host an OCD party?
:pound: Oh man that is just cruel (in a brilliant way). You have no idea, I will have a field day with that.
Ahh, now it makes sense why your Catholic Byblos. The rituals make you feel normal with the rosery, hail Marys and the like. :poke:
OCCD=Obsessive Compulsive Catholic Disorder. Byblos, your diagnosis is complete. Now, go and sin no more. :pound:
What, no penance?
RickD wrote:Byblos, now I know why you're such a big NY Giants fan...your favorite player is Ocd Umenyiora.

Get it? :pound:
You got me all figured out Rick. y>:D<
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

Ivellious wrote:This is pretty broad as far as the topic goes -- What do you think about the idea of parents homeschooling their kids? Is it good/bad? Should there be restrictions on who can? How do you think it affects the education of the children?

I ask because it seems homeschooling is overwhelmingly done by Christians in this America, often to instill a religious overtone to their children's education that is not found in public schools.

Not only to instill a religious (relationship to the Creator) overtone, but, to get ALL SIDES of a particular topic and issue...something which the public school Bigots dont want to present to our children. IE: Scientific Intelligent Design , special Creation found within all the modern sciences, etc... in conjunction with atheistic naturalism and materialism worldviews (all without opening the cover to the Bible i might add , which nullifies the mantra that 'its religion') .

Looking at these 10 important reasons to homeschool, it is plain that if you dont, youre literally tossing your kids to the wolves for brainwashing on secular, godless, unproven theories in addition to exposing impressionable children to the many dangerous social ills of our day . They should be protected until they are at least mature enough to see and discern the many various dangerous teachings of our culture and from public education (indoctrination really) . http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/bene ... oling.html There are all kinds of accredited ciriculums for the Homeschooling Parent(s) to use , and I even beg of you to not use our public school system for your childrens sake AND yours too.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

A tad over the top, I'd say.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

Canuckster1127 wrote:A tad over the top, I'd say.
Over the top in accuracy . No need to throw the kids to the wolves prematurely.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

It must be a great comfort to you to have this all worked out with such a high degree of certainty.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

Canuckster1127 wrote:It must be a great comfort to you to have this all worked out with such a high degree of certainty.
It is. And its important to expose what goes on in public schools as a reality including the way the typical amoral Student turns out from godless ideologies and constantly being indoctrinated into an 'accidental/unpurposed' atheist worldview which has a direct bearing on how One thinks, feels, and behaves in society.

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

My cousin is home schooled, and there family is extremely religious. Personally, I think its best for him to be home schooled, because he really has not developed socially enough to be cast into the high school atmosphere.

But a thing to remember about home schooling is they do go to an academy and interact with other children twice a week, so they do develop some social skills, but they are still very protected form the negative attitudes one would see at high school.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I have nothing against homeschooling. My kids have times of homeschooling. I don't condemn the entire public school system however.
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I have nothing against homeschooling. My kids have times of homeschooling. I don't condemn the entire public school system however.
Our American public school system are bed-fellows with the lifestyle philosophies of our culture ... they are inseperable . I condemn both because both serve to produce godless morals, ethics, and values which an atheistic worldview encourages . Whenever biblical absolute moral mandates are viewed as 'antiquated' and 'Taliban-like' to follow...then it should not surprise us that our youth are joining the national STD epidemic of 33 circulating STD's of which 2 are fatal being shared among some 60,000,000 Americans with 15,000,000 new cases added annually , as an example . And condom instruction in our Junior High School Health Classes arent helping the situation but is making it worse -- so much for the 'safe sex' mantra from our Public School System. No God = no moral framework to live by . No Godly teaching = a ship minus the moral rudder which is much needed for living life properly and safely.

wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

CallMeDave wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I have nothing against homeschooling. My kids have times of homeschooling. I don't condemn the entire public school system however.
Our American public school system are bed-fellows with the lifestyle philosophies of our culture ... they are inseperable . I condemn both because both serve to produce godless morals, ethics, and values which an atheistic worldview encourages . Whenever biblical absolute moral mandates are viewed as 'antiquated' and 'Taliban-like' to follow...then it should not surprise us that our youth are joining the national STD epidemic of 33 circulating STD's of which 2 are fatal being shared among some 60,000,000 Americans with 15,000,000 new cases added annually , as an example . And condom instruction in our Junior High School Health Classes arent helping the situation but is making it worse -- so much for the 'safe sex' mantra from our Public School System. No God = no moral framework to live by . No Godly teaching = a ship minus the moral rudder which is much needed for living life properly and safely.
I am in public school and have been for the the last 12 years and I see the immoral character of many young ones including myself but it is from the students that create it more than from teachers and curriculum. Teachers vary on the influence and act with indifference to the character of the students(they can help many individually but as a whole they are not very able to put their guidence upon the masses). Many teachers have a hard time getting a productive student teacher relationship and are forced to act a bit like them to get respect (cursing, sexual innuendos, slacking on giving them honest grades) but that is just about as bad as it gets for teachers; and the respect from students is helpful in communication to the students ina way that students feel they are not being judged by them. Curriculum despite being secular does not have a direct effect on students' morality and they would be rebellious even in religious curricualum. An being secular, school systems have a humanism philosophy base which all administrative and teachers use in dealing with the moral situations of the school. When you have a public school this is absolutly neccesary which is why I do not like it very much. There benefits to the system and the students are just as capable (or more so) of being loving as they are cruel and sexually depraved. This is what I report.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
CallMeDave
Valued Member

Post by CallMeDave »

wrain62 wrote:
CallMeDave wrote:
I am in public school and have been for the the last 12 years and I see the immoral character of many young ones including myself but it is from the students that create it more than from teachers and curriculum. Teachers vary on the influence and act with indifference to the character of the students(they can help many individually but as a whole they are not very able to put their guidence upon the masses). Many teachers have a hard time getting a productive student teacher relationship and are forced to act a bit like them to get respect (cursing, sexual innuendos, slacking on giving them honest grades) but that is just about as bad as it gets for teachers; and the respect from students is helpful in communication to the students ina way that students feel they are not being judged by them. Curriculum despite being secular does not have a direct effect on students' morality and they would be rebellious even in religious curricualum. An being secular, school systems have a humanism philosophy base which all administrative and teachers use in dealing with the moral situations of the school. When you have a public school this is absolutly neccesary which is why I do not like it very much. There benefits to the system and the students are just as capable (or more so) of being loving as they are cruel and sexually depraved. This is what I report.
First, we must consider what a 'secular' school system entails ; here is the online definition for 'secular' :

sec·u·lar
   [sek-yuh-ler]

adjective

"Of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; unholy ; temporal: (secular interests)".

Given this description, it is easy to determine how a typical student whos gone thru 12 + years of such academic indoctrination will turn out . Theres going to be a predictive outcome for any impressionable child who is indoctrinated with unholy and unsacred ideologies which an atheistic worldview encourages . What we think about our origins , meaning and purpose to life , etc.. has a direct bearing on we will act, behave, talk, and interact socially. In fact, it will be the catalyst for how we do life . Atheistic-Secular Humanism is the worse possible religiousity that we can make our children absorb for years on end. Those who do homeschooling with a distinctive Christian ciriculum are going to have a graduated Teen vastly different to its secular counterpart .

Rachel
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by Rachel »

I was homeschooled for a couple of years. The state of the public schools in my area had gotten very bad. I was under so much stress and was scared to death of the other students because many of them had become very violent. There was drug use and sexual immorality, and it eventually got to be too much. I was having too hard a time trying to focus on my studies. My family pulled me from public school and put me into homeschool.

The pros of it were that I could finally focus on my studies and learn! I had been stressed out because I wanted so badly to learn things, but the bad things happening around me and how my fellow students treated me distracted me too much. I was also happy that I could talk about things that were important to me, like God and His Creation. In public school, I had been reprimanded for not following their belief in the theory of evolution. I didn't have to worry about that with homeschool. I could study evolution later, when I felt more like looking into it, as a way of trying to understand what some believe is true, but that was not a time that I felt comfortable doing it. I was able to finish my last several years of high school in only a couple years because it was easier to just sit and study and do my school work with homeschool. Even though I had read the books cover to cover and done all the end-of-chapter activities in my public school books, they still had things set up on a specific timeline, so there was no way to finish early. I really enjoyed it, over all.

The cons of it were only that my parents were not particularly cut out for the job of being my teachers or making sure that I got the proper social interaction. I would have been better off if we could have gone to church, but my mother and I lived with my grandparents, and they always seemed to have a low opinion of church and God, so we never went to services because she feared their retaliation (something she now regrets). My main social interaction was with the other kids on my street. I believe that it takes a certain kind of parent to make homeschooling really work to its fullest potential. Mine just weren't those kinds of parents.

I think in my case, I might have benefited more from going to a private school instead of being homeschooled. But I think my situation is a little less common than with most other homeschooled children.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are pros and cons to everything, to only see ONE side is naive.
Some kids do very well with homeschooling and other don't.
Some parents can do it and others really shouldn't.
One can argue about the social aspects also, but again we have pros and cons to go with it.
Then there is the issue of post-secondary education and the environment that is very different from any homeschooling environment.
I know a few kids that were private schooled and home schooled and when take out of that system of learning had a hard time with the more "unforgiving" methods of university.
Of course I know some that did just fine too.