Heaven??

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Heaven??

Post by Tina »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5QBZU870Ms <------What do you think of this video?
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
cubeus19
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Heaven??

Post by cubeus19 »

What do I think? I actually think it's a very bland description of heaven. I also think it may be inaccurate. I mean come on, the color orange does not exist in heaven because it is considered the color of sin or man??? And plus how do we know he is telling the truth about his experience and didn't just make it up? I mean did he claim to have a near death experience or did he just receive this revelation of heaven through prayer, dream or meditation? Now if he did have a nde I would give him a little more credibility not much credibility but some. But since I don't know whether or not he had a nde I don't know if I should give him any credibility. But if you are wanting to know more about what heaven will be like I would suggest you check out the book "A travel guide to heaven" by Anthony Destefano or any of the various books about heaven by Randy Alcorn. Their works are very high quality, and they are based mostly on scripture and they all seem to have mostly positive reviews. So that's where I would go.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I tend to not buy any stories about people going to heaven, for several reasons: First, they are almost always vague and basically leave it open to your imagination to fill it in so it seems "just like you thought it would be." Second, they tend to contradict each other rather badly...Now, I'm a firm believer that heaven or the afterlife in general is not a country club for Christians and can be very different for different people, but if you stick to Christianity, those inconsistencies mean someone is lying, at least. Third, considering the "personal experiences" always seem to coincide with endless media tours and book deals, I think it's easy to write them off as media-grabbers who can recite a story many times.

My favorite was this kid from Nebraska (I think) who was really young and the son of a pastor. I watched his interview with some tv company and is was utterly robotic and scripted to the letter. I think the interview happened after the book about this kid's NDE was out. Because of that, the interviewer started correcting the kid when he said something that wasn't what the book said. Then he'd backtrack and his dad would start coaching him to get back to his original story. I saw it as some parents manipulating their kid for attention.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Ivellious wrote:I tend to not buy any stories about people going to heaven, for several reasons: First, they are almost always vague and basically leave it open to your imagination to fill it in so it seems "just like you thought it would be." Second, they tend to contradict each other rather badly...Now, I'm a firm believer that heaven or the afterlife in general is not a country club for Christians and can be very different for different people, but if you stick to Christianity, those inconsistencies mean someone is lying, at least. Third, considering the "personal experiences" always seem to coincide with endless media tours and book deals, I think it's easy to write them off as media-grabbers who can recite a story many times.

My favorite was this kid from Nebraska (I think) who was really young and the son of a pastor. I watched his interview with some tv company and is was utterly robotic and scripted to the letter. I think the interview happened after the book about this kid's NDE was out. Because of that, the interviewer started correcting the kid when he said something that wasn't what the book said. Then he'd backtrack and his dad would start coaching him to get back to his original story. I saw it as some parents manipulating their kid for attention.
Are you talking about the book "Heaven is Real"? Ya, I've read that. Not sure I believe it though.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

cubeus19 wrote:What do I think? I actually think it's a very bland description of heaven. I also think it may be inaccurate. I mean come on, the color orange does not exist in heaven because it is considered the color of sin or man??? And plus how do we know he is telling the truth about his experience and didn't just make it up? I mean did he claim to have a near death experience or did he just receive this revelation of heaven through prayer, dream or meditation? Now if he did have a nde I would give him a little more credibility not much credibility but some. But since I don't know whether or not he had a nde I don't know if I should give him any credibility. But if you are wanting to know more about what heaven will be like I would suggest you check out the book "A travel guide to heaven" by Anthony Destefano or any of the various books about heaven by Randy Alcorn. Their works are very high quality, and they are based mostly on scripture and they all seem to have mostly positive reviews. So that's where I would go.
I wish we could know if someone was telling the truth or not.....I'm so curious about Heaven that I tend to consider things that could be true, to might actually be true....
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Not sure on the title or names or anything like that, but that title kind of rings a bell. I just remember the interview being really sketchy.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Ivellious, I would not be so harsh on any one doing an interview on TV or radio. I have done both. Interviewers often have a script to follow – high points of a book and if the interviewee strays, they do bring it back. A Good interviewer can do this without anyone really noticing, and mediocre or bad interviewer may have an agenda to make a person look bad, or stay so strong with the preplanned questions that they cannot adapt the interview and make it flow smooth if it goes off script.

Also, interviewee’s can get nervous. It is an experience to be on TV with bright lights and several camera’s pointed at you. The Interviewee need to watch for a red light on the camera and a person waving to look at which camera’s red light is on. It can be intimidating. After a few times doing this, an interviewee get’s into the swing of things and flow with it. They also want you to talk bullet points. You need to think quick and stay on topic and make a point within 30 seconds or less.

So if this child and parents were not used to this – no wonder the interview looked bad. So don’t judge them too harshly. Think of the kid with all this going on and have a llittle heart...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I understand your point, as I've done interviews before (not on tv, but I get the point). I've seen what you are referring to. But this one in particular was just a little bit off. For instance, at one point the kid said something about not meeting God, but in the book he had said God gave him a tour of Heaven. When the interviewer pointed that out, the dad jumped in and led the kid on like "No, no, remember, you saw God, and then you did this, etc. etc." and this went on the whole time. It was more the dad giving the answers than the kid, but it seemed really strange how the kid was getting his story mixed up and the dad knew all the gory details better than the kid...

Another example was when the kid said he saw a dead relative , and the kid said he was wearing a color, but the dad jumped in all of a sudden to correct him and say "no, he was wearing white, remember?" and the kid nodded...Again, the whole thing was so scripted not on the interviewer's part, but the kid and his dad.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Ivellious wrote:I understand your point, as I've done interviews before (not on tv, but I get the point). I've seen what you are referring to. But this one in particular was just a little bit off. For instance, at one point the kid said something about not meeting God, but in the book he had said God gave him a tour of Heaven. When the interviewer pointed that out, the dad jumped in and led the kid on like "No, no, remember, you saw God, and then you did this, etc. etc." and this went on the whole time. It was more the dad giving the answers than the kid, but it seemed really strange how the kid was getting his story mixed up and the dad knew all the gory details better than the kid...

Another example was when the kid said he saw a dead relative , and the kid said he was wearing a color, but the dad jumped in all of a sudden to correct him and say "no, he was wearing white, remember?" and the kid nodded...Again, the whole thing was so scripted not on the interviewer's part, but the kid and his dad.
I don't understand why people do that. I mean, if you're a Christian, you wouldn't lie like that to be famous. ...Losing faith in humanity
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Those are people who don't embody your religion properly. Most people don't. It's why I choose to judge people on an individual level as opposed to following the mantra of "all Christians are pure, and atheists are evil, all blacks are criminals, all Asians are smart, etc." It's silly to presume certain characteristics that way.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Was the kid disabled – paralyzed - on a respirator? Was he the boy that was in the car accident? If so, do not discount any pain medication the boy might have been on during the interview either. Also, a good interview would have edited out bad parts due to these kinds of things but one with a agenda, will not, and keep them in.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

No, the kid was fine actually. It was several years removed from the experience (another odd thing, the kid had been like 3 when it happened, but somehow was capable of recounting a book's worth of info). He talked fine, seemed to be normal. He had been near death because of an organ transplant, not a horrible accident or anything.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Ivellious wrote:No, the kid was fine actually. It was several years removed from the experience (another odd thing, the kid had been like 3 when it happened, but somehow was capable of recounting a book's worth of info). He talked fine, seemed to be normal. He had been near death because of an organ transplant, not a horrible accident or anything.
Ya, it sounds like that 4 year old kid whose appendix was messed up and he told his dad a lot of info about heaven.......idk it does seem a little sketchy, though things like this always do
pebbleanrock
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by pebbleanrock »

Tina wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5QBZU870Ms <------What do you think of this video?
I am mystified by this. First lie of the Bible, snake says "you will not cease [die]'. Solomon said the dead have NO thinking abilities. Jesus said 'David is in the ground " when asked about his where abouts. After Jesus said to Mary that he was going to resurrect Lazarus, she said ' I know he will come back at the end time Resurrection'. This infers he would be non-thinking in the ground till then.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Illvelious, Yes there were two kids - one was in a car accident and the other not.

Just a point of reference - try to be more specific in describing whom one is referring. I thought you were talking about the boy who is paralyzed from the car accident!
Tina wrote:...I don't understand why people do that. I mean, if you're a Christian, you wouldn't lie like that to be famous. ...Losing faith in humanity
Sadly Tina, there are those out there that do these kinds of things. Jesus said, by their fruit you will know them. That also cuts both ways to us as well, how does our life shine for Christ? I lost faith in humanity long ago, so I place my faith in Christ alone.

When you understand how people desire to slay the good in the world as they did so Christ Jesus – One's faith in humanity is lost. You also see the same thing in people’s attack against Christians as well. Such folks, shout in similar contexts like this: We must Prove them hypocrites ! Their faith no better than anyone else’s, so off with their heads! Christian aren’t Good, so let’s slay them, mock them – lets write on websites and put them on trial – so we can shout Crucify!

Why do people want to slay goodness in others? Look at the occupy wall street people – if one does well – you hear them shout –Rich people are evil we need to take what they have! Does matter the charities they give too or the character – if they are decent folk – its let put them on trial and slay them and take what they have. When people desire to poke fun, mock, despise goodness, put people on trial and all that and then is it any wonder bad things happen to good Christian people? And with every false accusation, mocking, trail, etc, a greater foe is revealed so that the events of Revelation chapters 19 thru 20 will come to pass, justified, and beyond all shadow of doubt.

Keep the faith Tina, in Christ alone

Learn to examine fruit for in doing so, all the flakes are revealed...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb: