A question that athiest can't seem to answer.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

A question that athiest can't seem to answer.

Post by Swimmy »

How did Christianity rise so fast and quickly to become the #1 religion in Rome? The answer is Jesus. If Jesus was a fictional character, Christianity would have simply died out right away. Why would anyone at that time old enough to know that if Jesus didn't exist decide be persecuted for their beliefs? Why would a civilization who's forte was overindulgence suddenly find Christianity appealing? Christianity stood for everything Rome wasn't. It rose quickly and fast. Again it makes you wonder a rag like religion at the time had such a huge influence.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: A question that athiest can't seem to answer.

Post by Ivellious »

No reasonable person doesn't think Jesus was a real person. The question is what what Jesus was (a great and incredibly influential man or God?).

Also, the answer to your question "why did it rise so fast and last" has a number of factors. You could ask the same thing about Judaism (which, for the record, is much older than Christianity) and Islam as well. Many Far-East religious views have lasted 3 or 4 thousand years as well. In the meantime, numerous smaller religions and cults have risen fast and died out quickly. Circumstances dictate everything.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Swimmy wrote:How did Christianity rise so fast and quickly to become the #1 religion in Rome? The answer is Jesus. If Jesus was a fictional character, Christianity would have simply died out right away. Why would anyone at that time old enough to know that if Jesus didn't exist decide be persecuted for their beliefs? Why would a civilization who's forte was overindulgence suddenly find Christianity appealing? Christianity stood for everything Rome wasn't. It rose quickly and fast. Again it makes you wonder a rag like religion at the time had such a huge influence.
I think there's some disagreement, if the "Christianity" that was part of the state of the Roman Empire, was even true, biblical Christianity. Imo, any "religion" endorsed by a state, isn't the same "religion" that's in scripture.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

You could ask the same thing about Judaism (which, for the record, is much older than Christianity)
Judaism was the precursor to Christianity so it would stand to reason that it would have exploded as well and that reason is because it is truth.
Islam has not had the same impact the way Christianity has in a sense that Christianity would not be a religion you would choose if you wanted to be selfish or controlling.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

What's more amazing is that Christianity started in the very place that Jesus was crucified and that is Jerusalem. If Jesus didn't do everything that the new testament said he did christianity would never start there, and if he hadn't really resurrected all the pharasees had to do is roll out Jesus's body and that would have been the end of Christianity.

Gary Habermas took a survey of over 2000 new testament scholars (atheist and theist scholars) and asked them whether they believed the empty tomb was a historic fact, and an amazing 75% of them agreed that the empty tomb is a historic fact. Once you have established this the only logical explanation is the resurrection.

The disciples did not have the power, military training, or the money to bribe the roman guards to let them steal Jesus's body, plus they weren't expecting a physical resurrection but a spiritual one. How were they transformed from wimps who denies Jesus to tigers that went to their death for their belief in the resurrection.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

RickD wrote:
Swimmy wrote:How did Christianity rise so fast and quickly to become the #1 religion in Rome? The answer is Jesus. If Jesus was a fictional character, Christianity would have simply died out right away. Why would anyone at that time old enough to know that if Jesus didn't exist decide be persecuted for their beliefs? Why would a civilization who's forte was overindulgence suddenly find Christianity appealing? Christianity stood for everything Rome wasn't. It rose quickly and fast. Again it makes you wonder a rag like religion at the time had such a huge influence.
I think there's some disagreement, if the "Christianity" that was part of the state of the Roman Empire, was even true, biblical Christianity. Imo, any "religion" endorsed by a state, isn't the same "religion" that's in scripture.
The problem with that statement is that it actually goes against what the eay church fathers said and believed and one if the earliest church fathers was ignatious of Antioch and his description if the the early church of Christ is unmistakable . I suggest you get acquainted with him as he was a student of the apostle John :)
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

History tells us about the rise of Islam. Slaughter, violence and terror.

Christianity rose under the persecution of those conditions. Islam used those evils to spread an ideology. Why would you seperate Judiasm?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

Ivellious wrote:No reasonable person doesn't think Jesus was a real person. The question is what what Jesus was (a great and incredibly influential man or God?).

Whats your conclusion from having investigated the objective unbiased historical evidence ? Was he just a nice moral teacher who strolled the beaches of Galilee spreading good will, or, was he who he claimed to be : The very Creator of the Universe who is clothed in flesh ? Was he a Liar , Fraud, and Deluded...or.....was he authentic in every way ?
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Dallas
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Dallas »

Ivellious wrote:No reasonable person doesn't think Jesus was a real person. The question is what what Jesus was (a great and incredibly influential man or God?).
At first I was going to say "Well, my friend doesn't believe Jesus was a Man or God." Then I saw the word "reasonable" :P
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.