Know of any good books about history?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Short1
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Know of any good books about history?

Post by Short1 »

Hey everyone, I'm itching to learn more about history and was just curious if you knew any good books (like paperback) that you enjoyed and would recommend. Obviously I could just google something and start reading, but I'm looking for something more themed and readable.

Thanks!
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Know of any good books about history?

Post by Tina »

lol the Bible ^^
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The Story of Civilization by Will & Ariel Durant. WARNING: it is 11 volumes long and will take you a few years to read.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Dallas
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Dallas »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The Story of Civilization by Will & Ariel Durant. WARNING: it is 11 volumes long and will take you a few years to read.

FL

Few years worries me the most :P
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Christian history?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

www.willdurant.com

You could borrow or buy the first book in the series, Our Oriental Heritage and take it from there. You'll find the Durants' writing engaging and a pleasure to read. Our Oriental Heritage covers the preconditions and the beginnings of civilization until about 300BCE.

You won't be disappointed!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:http://www.willdurant.com

You could borrow or buy the first book in the series, Our Oriental Heritage and take it from there. You'll find the Durants' writing engaging and a pleasure to read. Our Oriental Heritage covers the preconditions and the beginnings of civilization until about 300BCE.

You won't be disappointed!

FL
Just a reinforcement to this recommendation. I have read the entire 11 volume set (and yes it took several years). It really is outstanding.

In terms of just a one volume book of history, you'd have to narrow it down. There's a lot out there.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender