Go to hell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

Go to hell?

Post by Anonymous »

When I was an inquisitive, growing, intelligent & switched on young lad going to Sunday School (from a good christian upbringing), I asked my Sunday School teacher this question:

Would a budhist or muslim or hindu child (even though they had never had the chance of knowing the christian god) go to hell if they died? The answer from her and the parish preist was YES.

That is the crutial moment that I doubted all I had been taught and decided that I had heard enough BS became a non believer.

Please feel free to attempt to enlighten me.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Would a budhist or muslim or hindu child (even though they had never had the chance of knowing the christian god) go to hell if they died? The answer from her and the parish preist was YES.
The answer to your question is easily found in Scripture. In Romans 2 we are told that those that never had the opportunity to hear about Christ will be judged by what is in their harts, i.e. their conscience.

Romans 2:14-15 (NIV)
Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, [15] since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.

The further question that needs to be answered is what is the age of accountability? At what age does a person take responsibility for his/her own actions? I believe that God knows that about every person, but it seems to be in the 10 to 14 yo range. I know it's a gross generalization, many can be accountable earlier or later in life. At that age, I would expect that a non-Christian would start questioning and investigating, and come to know about Christ, and be able to make a decision.

If a person makes a conscious decision not to be a Christian, they are doomed to eternal punishment.
That is the crutial moment that I doubted all I had been taught and decided that I had heard enough BS became a non believer.
I find it curious that you would base your decision on something such as this, with blind belief that those who answered you had the exact right answer. Did you not ever think that you should investigate this on your own and make an informed decision? It seems to be a very shallow approach to something that is very important. I think you had made up your mind to be a non-believer based on a variety of issues, not just one.
Please feel free to attempt to enlighten me.
If your mind is made up, no-one here can enlighten you, regardless of the answers we give.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com