Adam & Eve

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
LittleShepherd
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by LittleShepherd »

Nope sorry I don't buy it. Too much information. Too in depth. It seems to me that most christians need a crutch. By that I mean something to lean on when they can't handle the burden of life.
Not at all, if you know anything at all about genetics and genetic variation.

Did you know that two chimpanzees(for one example -- almost any animal will do) that <B>look almost identical</B> actually have <B>more</B> genetic variation than two humans who <B>look completely different</B>?

The lack of large genetic variation is quite strange given just how different each human can look. There are many animals that have much, much greater genetic variation, but much less change in actual appearance or structure.

So no, the "too much information, too in depth" argument doesn't hold any water. It doesn't take much variation at all within humans to get completely different hair textures and colors, vastly different skin colors(we are all technically one color, scientifically speaking -- some just have more active melanocytes than others), and many other differences like those between height and bone size.

You would be right about one thing -- Christians do need a crutch. That's kind of the whole point of Christianity. We aren't good enough, can never be good enough, and need Christ to help us up since we are incapable of helping ourselves. We simply see the truth of the matter rather than run around with blinders. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

I would suggest reading "book 1" of CS Lewis' "Mere Christianity." It goes over the existence of an absolute moral law, our knowledge of this moral law(and the fallacies involved in denying it), and our inability to live up to this moral law. When you understand that, Christianity makes much more sense.
jerickson314
Established Member

Post by jerickson314 »

LittleShepherd - I thought Marcus was saying that the defenses of Christianity he has seen are too complicated to be true - not the genetic variation between humans. :?:

His argument still doesn't hold water, but I think you refuted something different from what he was saying.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

Oh...well...my point still stands. :P

I dunno. I got the impression he was calling the explanations of how there are all sorts of different-looking peoples too complicated. Perhaps the topic being discussed in this thread threw me off...
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

I am sort of surprised that no one pointed out that all of Adam and Eve's children, except for one, died in the flood.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

j316 wrote:I am sort of surprised that no one pointed out that all of Adam and Eve's children, except for one, died in the flood.
I did, first reply. :)
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Felgar wrote:
j316 wrote:I am sort of surprised that no one pointed out that all of Adam and Eve's children, except for one, died in the flood.
I did, first reply. :)
Sorry, I missed that.