Is God All-Powerfull?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is God All-Powerfull?

Post by ultimate777 »

Is God all-powerfull, and if so, is there anything He cannot do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Is God All-Powerfull?

Post by Kurieuo »

ultimate777 wrote:Is God all-powerfull, and if so, is there anything He cannot do?
Things that make no sense. That is, nonsense.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Kurieuo, if I understand what you said, I agree. However, somewhere, some people claim that God is all-powereful but there are things he cannot do. Even my preacher, a Godly man, a true believer, a good friend, but I am afraid a mental midget, claimed such if I understood him correctly. I tried to make him budge, but I don't think he did.

Why so many Godly, true believing people seem to act like mental midgets, is a topic unto itself.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ultimate777 wrote:Is God all-powerfull, and if so, is there anything He cannot do?

He can't go against his own nature but that has nothing to do with not being all powerfull.
It is just an absurdity.
*edit* It's not that he can't do it, it's that it would never happen due to the nature of God.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

God can't lie. God can't be unfaithful to Himself. And, I don't think God has the power to make the Cubs win the world series. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

ultimate777 wrote:Kurieuo, if I understand what you said, I agree. However, somewhere, some people claim that God is all-powereful but there are things he cannot do. Even my preacher, a Godly man, a true believer, a good friend, but I am afraid a mental midget, claimed such if I understood him correctly. I tried to make him budge, but I don't think he did.

Why so many Godly, true believing people seem to act like mental midgets, is a topic unto itself.
It really depends upon what they're saying God can't do.

Omnipotence only imples the power to do anything that is logically possible. So for example, God not being able to draw a square circle says nothing of His power because such is nonsense which is really nothing. There is no such thing as a square circle, at least on a 2D plane.

Or asking God to sin, is asking God to go against Himself. It makes no sense that God can stop being God to wrong Himself. However, anything that does make sense and is possible, God could do if He so desired.

There is also a second factor to God's omnpotence as well. It only entails of God what God desires to do. So for example, God would not want to commit evil, therefore the fact He can not do evil is a reflection on His nature rather than lack of power.

If there was any confusion, then I hope this helps.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Kurieuo, you said:

Omnipotence only imples the power to do anything that is logically possible.

No Sale.

So for example, God not being able to draw a square circle says nothing of His power because such is nonsense which is really nothing. There is no such thing as a square circle, at least on a 2D plane.

There is no nonsense, if God "cannot" irregardless he is not all powerful.

Or asking God to sin, is asking God to go against Himself. It makes no sense that God can stop being God to wrong Himself.

If he is all powerful He can absolutely go against Himself.

However, anything that does make sense and is possible, God could do if He so desired.

If that is all He can do, He is not all-powerful.

There is also a second factor to God's omnpotence as well. It only entails of God what God desires to do. So for example, God would not want to commit evil, therefore the fact He can not do evil is a reflection on His nature rather than lack of power.

If you think it through, I hope that will help.

Kurieuo
Technical Admin

Private messageWebsiteTop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick ReplySubject: Hide Quick Reply
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ultimate777,

Do you think an all-powerful god (as per your definition) can do ^&%&^%? If yes, please state how. If not, please state why not.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

God cannot be other than God. That isn't a limitation upon omnipotence. Attempting to create rhetorical asbsurdities are nothing but cosmic strawmen.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

ultimate777 wrote:Kurieuo, you said:

Omnipotence only imples the power to do anything that is logically possible.

No Sale.

So for example, God not being able to draw a square circle says nothing of His power because such is nonsense which is really nothing. There is no such thing as a square circle, at least on a 2D plane.

There is no nonsense, if God "cannot" irregardless he is not all powerful.

Or asking God to sin, is asking God to go against Himself. It makes no sense that God can stop being God to wrong Himself.

If he is all powerful He can absolutely go against Himself.

However, anything that does make sense and is possible, God could do if He so desired.

If that is all He can do, He is not all-powerful.

If you think it through, I hope that will help.
I guess this is where we differ: You might believe in a God of nonsense, but I don't.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Byblos,we are talking about whether God is omnipotent. I never claimed to be. Are you implying I did?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Kurieuo, why do you think you even know what is sense and nonsense? You seem to be getting God and Kurieuo a bit confused with each other. You have all the answers, so you think. I think I only have enough sense in this to know when an answer is no answer. You must realize how badly you contradict yourself. Surely you know what the meaning of all is.
Well, apparently, Bill Clinton did not know what the meaning of is is, as smart as he was :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777, it seems that from your responses, if God can't do something illogical, then He's not omnipotent. If that's not what you meant, can you clarify what you mean? It's coming across, at least to me, that God is not omnipotent in your mind, if He can't make a square circle. Maybe that's not what you're saying, but it's coming across that way.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

ultimate777 wrote:Byblos,we are talking about whether God is omnipotent. I never claimed to be. Are you implying I did?
I know what the subject matter is and no, I most certainly did not imply that you claimed to be omnipotent. I have no clue where you get even a hint of such an implication. But here's how you replied to K:
Kurieuo wrote:Omnipotence only imples the power to do anything that is logically possible.
ultimate777 wrote:No Sale.
Kurieuo wrote:So for example, God not being able to draw a square circle says nothing of His power because such is nonsense which is really nothing. There is no such thing as a square circle, at least on a 2D plane.
ultimate777 wrote:There is no nonsense, if God "cannot" irregardless he is not all powerful.
Kurieuo wrote:Or asking God to sin, is asking God to go against Himself. It makes no sense that God can stop being God to wrong Himself.
ultimate777 wrote:If he is all powerful He can absolutely go against Himself.
Kurieuo wrote:However, anything that does make sense and is possible, God could do if He so desired.
ultimate777 wrote:If that is all He can do, He is not all-powerful.

This clearly implies (in fact you state it emphatically) that God, according to you, ought to be able to do ANYTHING, including going against his nature or doing things that are by nature non-things (nonsense).

Then I asked you this:
Byblos wrote:ultimate777,

Do you think an all-powerful god (as per your definition) can do ^&%&^%? If yes, please state how. If not, please state why not.
I'd like a reply please.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777, Would you say that the Christian God is not omniscient, because He is not pantheistic?

-Edward R Murrow