Bible verses about expatriation

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Sleepykid
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Bible verses about expatriation

Post by Sleepykid »

Just a few general questions. I've looked up in my topical guide words like "flee", "persecution", "trouble", etc., but couldn't find anything that rang a bell. I vaguely remember being told a verse that said something along the lines of "Foolish is the man that sees trouble and does not flee." That would apply to me in seeing trouble in my country's future.

Can anyone quote me any Bible passages you think could be relevant with regards to being foolish if one does not try and avoid bad situations, politically or otherwise?

Alternatively, are their any scriptural verses that might suggest to "sink with the ship" and try and help out, even if you know your nation's in a bad way?

Just curious. I've looked around but can't find any verses that speak on this, even in a general way.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Bible verses about expatriation

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Expatriation is mostly a punishment in the Bible, or the result of difficult situation at home brought on by disobedience to God. God's command to Abram to leave his country (Genesis 12) is one example of ''positive'' expatriation but, mostly, expatriation is not good.

Since most of the world is in a mess, where were you thinking of going?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Sleepykid
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Sleepykid »

"Difficult situation at home brought about by disobedience to God" would sum it up nicely. Again, I haven't made plans to any specific country because I don't know if this is, at least, a biblically-encouraged course of action. Now, I've seen examples of it happening. Paul seems to have made a routine of leaving cities that otherwise would've killed him for his heresy. I'm simply asking if there's a Bible verse to the tune of "If you see something bad about to happen, and you don't move out of the way, you've no one but yourself to blame." Maybe it's in Proverbs?

Also, sorry for the thread necro. I'd like some input on this though in light of the worsening situation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Proverbs 22:1-13 1 If you have to choose between a good reputation and great wealth, choose a good reputation. 2 The rich and the poor have this in common: the Lord made them both. 3 Sensible people will see trouble coming and avoid it, but an unthinking person will walk right into it and regret it later. 4 Obey the Lord, be humble, and you will get riches, honor, and a long life. 5 If you love your life, stay away from the traps that catch the wicked along the way. 6 Teach children how they should live, and they will remember it all their life. 7 Poor people are slaves of the rich. Borrow money and you are the lender's slave. 8 If you plant the seeds of injustice, disaster will spring up, and your oppression of others will end. 9 Be generous and share your food with the poor. You will be blessed for it. 10 Get rid of a conceited person, and then there will be no more arguments, quarreling, or name-calling. 11 If you love purity of heart and graciousness of speech, the king will be your friend. 12 The Lord sees to it that truth is kept safe by disproving the words of liars. 13 Lazy people stay at home; they say a lion might get them if they go outside.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony