Neil Turok: Endless Universe

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Neil Turok: Endless Universe

Post by 1over137 »

Has someone read his book? (http://endlessuniverse.net/) Are there some problems with his theory?
I have not read his book yet, just discovered it.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Neil Turok: Endless Universe

Post by RickD »

Infinite regress alert... :beat: infinite regress alert... :beat:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:Has someone read his book? (http://endlessuniverse.net/) Are there some problems with his theory?
I have not read his book yet, just discovered it.
Their theory is based on the cyclical model which results in all kinds of absurdities (such as time needing time at the rounding edge of a singularity before another bounce). I also doubt the book addresses the BVG theorem of 2003, which states that for any type of universe to be anthropic it must follow the inflationary model (having a Hubble rate of inflation greater than zero). The theorem further states that any inflationary model would have to have begun via a singularity. So it doesn't really matter how many bounces or cycles or bangs have occurred, every single one of them must have had a beginning. In other words, like Rick said, infinite regress on a cosmic scale, infinitely irrational.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:Infinite regress alert... :beat: infinite regress alert... :beat:
y:| :heart:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Byblos wrote: Their theory is based on the cyclical model which results in all kinds of absurdities (such as time needing time at the rounding edge of a singularity before another bounce). I also doubt the book addresses the BVG theorem of 2003, which states that for any type of universe to be anthropic it must follow the inflationary model (having a Hubble rate of inflation greater than zero). The theorem further states that any inflationary model would have to have begun via a singularity. So it doesn't really matter how many bounces or cycles or bangs have occurred, every single one of them must have had a beginning. In other words, like Rick said, infinite regress on a cosmic scale, infinitely irrational.
Thanks Byblos : )
I've just emailed your response to authors. Am interested if they respond.

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
Byblos wrote: Their theory is based on the cyclical model which results in all kinds of absurdities (such as time needing time at the rounding edge of a singularity before another bounce). I also doubt the book addresses the BVG theorem of 2003, which states that for any type of universe to be anthropic it must follow the inflationary model (having a Hubble rate of inflation greater than zero). The theorem further states that any inflationary model would have to have begun via a singularity. So it doesn't really matter how many bounces or cycles or bangs have occurred, every single one of them must have had a beginning. In other words, like Rick said, infinite regress on a cosmic scale, infinitely irrational.
Thanks Byblos : )
I've just emailed your response to authors. Am interested if they respond.
Not that I object but as a matter of courtesy you could have checked with me first.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I apologie. Sorry. :oops:

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I apologie. Sorry. :oops:
No worries. Had I known though, I would have phrased it a bit differently but now you've peaked my interest, let me know if they respond.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Byblos wrote:
No worries. Had I known though, I would have phrased a bit differently but now you've peaked my interest, let me know if they respond.
: ) sure. you are friend Byblos. thanks.

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
No worries. Had I known though, I would have phrased a bit differently but now you've peaked my interest, let me know if they respond.
: ) sure. you are friend Byblos. thanks.
Any time. Let's just hope what I said makes sense, considering I'm not a physicist. :shock: