Revelation 22:18-19? Question

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Revelation 22:18-19? Question

Post by Dallas »

Revelation 22:18-19 "18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." (KJV)

Can somebody tell me how John knew that the book of Revelation would be apart of the Holy Bible? It's just mind-bogoling how he knew about this. Or is this out of context?
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Revelation 22:18-19? Question

Post by RickD »

Dallas, I tend to think he is referring only to that specific book(Revelation).
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I believe John was referring to the book of Revelation itself. He knew based upon his visions and sense of leading that it was from God through him. I think that's clear in his mind at the time of writing and that the original receiving audience, the churches referenced in the early chapters would understand that John is conveying actual words and messages of Christ and the Spirit.

It is common for people to reference these verse, combined with the convenience of it being the traditionally placed last book in the Bible and then apply it by inference back upon the entire cannon or Bible.

Similar happens when peope quote II Tim 3:16 which instructs 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

The contextual reference would be to the Old Testament as the New Testament was not yet complete nor cannonized and recognized by the greater Christian Community.

Is it a valid inference? Perhaps. In terms of the immediate context however it's a clear expansion of the original intent of the author and the original understanding of the intended audience.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Post by seveneyes »

It seems to me that since the Bible hadn't been written yet, John was talking of the prophecy that he himself was writing as the book. Evidently he was writing that which he was instructed to write, coming from God who is the spirit of prophecy. It is understandable to me that it fits perfectly with what we now have.