Jesus figures before Jesus?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Jesus figures before Jesus?

Post by Dallas »

My friend and I were talking about Jesus, and he gave me this website. He told me there were Jesus figures before Jesus came about.

http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chri ... ate-jesus/

What are your guys's thoughts?
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Jesus figures before Jesus?

Post by wrain62 »

I would not give either of those movies much credibility.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
seveneyes
Recognized Member

Re: Jesus figures before Jesus?

Post by seveneyes »

You know, these supposed links to Christ in other figures of the past are actually urban legends. The only things that ever resemble anything in the Gospels are the fact that in the past, people had Virgin Gods, because virginity was revered as purity and also, the false Gods at times were killed and rose from the proverbial dead because death has always been seen to be the final end and thoughts of life after death have been one of the main existential questions of man from the beginning. These existential questions are in place by God for a reason, so it is no mystery to me that Ideas of rising from the dead have been prevalent in all sections of our worlds history and cultures.

If you want to see the truth about these supposed similarities to Christ in the old "Gods" stories, you need to read them for yourself. -Consider that Isis and Osiris had a child in the mythology that was considered to be the sun god who at one point rose from the dead and Isis was considered to be the virgin, but when we read about it we find that Osiris was ripped to pieces by another God and scattered over the desert floor. Isis then went to gather the pieces of him together to ressurect him and found all of the pieces except for his sexual organ. She then fashioned him one out of gold, brought him back to life and they had sex that resulted in Isis becoming pregnant with the New God, born of the virgin. However she was not a virgin and the story is nothing like the gospel at all.

Dionysus is another that many claim to be exactly like the gospel and I will paste part of that story for you to read

Dionysus had a strange birth that evokes the difficulty in fitting him into the Olympian pantheon. His mother was a mortal woman, Semele, the daughter of king Cadmus of Thebes, and his father was Zeus, the king of the gods. Zeus' wife, Hera, discovered the affair while Semele was pregnant. Appearing as an old crone (in other stories a nurse), Hera befriended Semele, who confided in her that Zeus was the actual father of the baby in her womb. Hera pretended not to believe her, and planted seeds of doubt in Semele's mind. Curious, Semele demanded of Zeus that he reveal himself in all his glory as proof of his godhood.

Though Zeus begged her not to ask this, she persisted and he agreed. Therefore he came to her wreathed in bolts of lightning; mortals, however, could not look upon an undisguised god without dying, and she perished in the ensuing blaze. Zeus rescued the fetal Dionysus by sewing him into his thigh. A few months later, Dionysus was born on Mount Pramnos in the island of Ikaria, where Zeus went to release the now-fully-grown baby from his thigh. In this version, Dionysus is born by two "mothers" (Semele and Zeus) before his birth, hence the epithet dimētōr (of two mothers) associated with his being "twice-born".

In the Cretan version of the same story, which Diodorus Siculus follows,[29] Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Persephone, the queen of the Greek underworld. Diodorus' sources equivocally identified the mother as Demeter.[30] A jealous Hera again attempted to kill the child, this time by sending Titans to rip Dionysus to pieces after luring the baby with toys. It is said that he was mocked by the Titans who gave him a thyrsus (a fennel stalk) in place of his rightful sceptre.[31] Zeus turned the Titans into dust with his thunderbolts, but only after the Titans ate everything but the heart, which was saved, variously, by Athena, Rhea, or Demeter. Zeus used the heart to recreate him in his thigh, hence he was again "the twice-born". Other versions claim that Zeus recreated him in the womb of Semele, or gave Semele the heart to eat to impregnate her.

The rebirth in both versions of the story is the primary reason why Dionysus was worshipped in mystery religions, as his death and rebirth were events of mystical reverence. This narrative was apparently used in several Greek and Roman cults, and variants of it are found in Callimachus and Nonnus, who refer to this Dionysus with the title Zagreus, and also in several fragmentary poems attributed to Orpheus.[citation needed]

The myth of the dismemberment of Dionysus by the Titans, is alluded to by Plato in his Phaedo (69d) in which Socrates claims that the initiations of the Dionysian Mysteries are similar to those of the philosophic path. Late Neo-Platonists such as Damascius explore the implications of this at length.[32]

-Now if you choose to believe that this is anything like the Gospel of Christ, I would encourage you to actually read the Gospel.

-Dont believe the hype brother! Urban legends all of them! They are also all about Gods who had their soap opera lives not in the realm of human beings either. They are characters and stories of something said to have happened in some spiritual dimension. There was no actual physical birth or Resurrection for any of these stories...