Molecular Alternatives to DNA, RNA Offer New Insight Into ..

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Molecular Alternatives to DNA, RNA Offer New Insight Into ..

Post by 1over137 »

Following interesting article appeared in scientific newspaper:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143117.htm

How did the RNA world come into existence?
This pre-RNA world hypothesis has been gaining ground, largely through investigations into XNAs, which provide plausible alternatives to the current biological regime and could have acted as chemical stepping-stones to the eventual emergence of life. The current research strengthens the case that something like this may have taken place.
Comments? Thoughts? ( ... are appreciated )
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Molecular Alternatives to DNA, RNA Offer New Insight Int

Post by Ivellious »

This is pretty cool stuff. Could very well solve or push forward research toward solving a big question of early life on Earth. In particular, the argument about life having to arise using complex RNA/DNA sequences could be nullified altogether, because as this research seems to show, it is possible to have simpler information-holding material and it is possible for those simpler molecules to eventually evolve into those more complex forms.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

In a purely material world, one must honestly say, "Something like this HAD TO happen."

The article is fundementally flawed, IMO, with Darwinian presuppositions. The first paragraph sets the stage.
Living systems owe their existence to a pair of information-carrying molecules: DNA and RNA. These fundamental chemical forms possess two features essential for life: they display heredity -- meaning they can encode and pass on genetic information, and they can adapt over time, through processes of Darwinian evolution.
What do they mean by adapt over time? What they mean is that molecules to man is a fact, and we don't need evidence, just belief to back it up. That is religous ideology.

They take an experiement based in genetic manipulation (engineering that requires an intelligent mind) and impose that on to a hypothesis. In other words, they start with a belief and work backwards from there. "See, it could be plausible!!! How exciting!!" Not sure that actually holds up scientifically.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

It's not the end of the research, clearly, but before anyone would give you millions of dollars to work out whether it could have arisen naturally, someone needs to demonstrate that the molecules and the biology actually do function in real life (not just in theory), in addition to figuring out that these pre-RNA molecules could seamlessly transition into modern RNA systems through selection. I don't think anyone is presuming that this proves the hypothesis, it just shows that their hypothesis has theoretical merit and deserves further research.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

it just shows that their hypothesis has theoretical merit and deserves further research.
Further $$$$$$$ :lol:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Ivellious wrote:It's not the end of the research, clearly, but before anyone would give you millions of dollars to work out whether it could have arisen naturally, someone needs to demonstrate that the molecules and the biology actually do function in real life (not just in theory), in addition to figuring out that these pre-RNA molecules could seamlessly transition into modern RNA systems through selection. I don't think anyone is presuming that this proves the hypothesis, it just shows that their hypothesis has theoretical merit and deserves further research.
Through selection? Selection of or for what?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

The entire concept of simpler and simpler forms is "entirely" a construct of imagination. There is positively and absolutely no physical evidence from the geological record which shows anything simpler than complete forms. In order to have any traction a hypothesis should have some definable evidence to support its consideration.
Consider further, what evidence do we possess that would lead us to believe that even if the chemicals existed to allow for the opportunity of time and chance to assemble them into life that it actually could?
Two very important missing evidences that are foundationally important to even allow for its possibility.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
lucent
Newbie Member

Post by lucent »

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..."
It doesn't say exactly how this was accomplished. Really, what's the fuss?