If the 2012 presidential race is between Obama and Romney...

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: If the 2012 presidential race is between Obama and Romne

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote: Just remember, FL. Where the U.S. goes, its big shadow to the north will be right there as well.
oh...yes...you're right. I don't really care for 4 more years of President Osama. The next time I'm in Vermont I'll get one of those Romney bumper stickers. Better a space cadet than the Muslim Brotherhood.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

After further review, you are hereby prohibited from posting anymore about politics, since you voted for good ole Jimmy.
I knew confessing that would cause me grief, but not near as much as having actually done it. :esurprised: But, at the time, Carter appealed to my youth, just as did Obama to the youth of four years ago. Although only 11 years younger than Gerald Ford, he seemed much younger, more hip, and a break from all those old dinosaur Republicans of that era. JC's was a message of "change" and "hope," and I bought that message hook, line and sinker. It's also why I don't think anyone should be able to vote before turning 21. It's just way too easy to manipulate youth with uninformed political views.

And much like Obama, Carter naively seemed to believe that the only reason so many around the world hated America, is merely because we are just so misunderstood, and that if they only understood our benevolent and peace-loving hearts, that they would come to love us, understand us, and partner with us by embracing in one big international hug. Stupid, naive and exceptionally dangerous, such views are. Nothing has changed: The bad guys typically only understand what hurts them - economically or militarily, and we forget that at our own peril. The Nazis, WWII Japan, the Stalinists, today's Islamists - to all of them, negotiations and peace conferences were/are only a tool to achieve by diplomacy what they were/are also willing to achieve by "ANY MEANS NECESSARY." But Obama and those like him think our enemies can be reasoned with, and so we'll eventually all be able to sit around a warm fire singing "Kumbaya." That kind of thinking appeals to youth, and it's so easy to make them believe everyone over 50 or those sporting some gray hair are all clueless, heartless warmongers who want to start wars and starve the poor. And so when young kids look at the mess our world is in, to them, such manipulative dishonesty seems to make sense.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote: Just remember, FL. Where the U.S. goes, its big shadow to the north will be right there as well.
oh...yes...you're right. I don't really care for 4 more years of President Osama. The next time I'm in Vermont I'll get one of those Romney bumper stickers. Better a space cadet than the Muslim Brotherhood.

FL
y#-o that's so completely wrong, FL. That stereotype is way off the mark. I don't mean the space cadet, Muslim brotherhood thing. What I find so appalling is that you actually believe you can find a Romney bumper sticker in Vermont. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip, this clip is for you and everyone else who chooses to vote for Romney, because he's not as bad as Obama.
clip
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yep, I'm guessing Vermont has about as many naked hippies as does CA. Of course, they have a lot more hair on their backs up VT way.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Philip wrote:Yep, I'm guessing Vermont has about as many naked hippies as does CA. Of course, they have a lot more hair on their backs up VT way.
And that's just the women .....
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Vermont is the most beautiful state I have seen. With comments like yours, no wonder some Vermonters want to secede from the Union. You ''Americans'' should be ashamed of yourselves! and Canuckster should be immediately deported to the Frozen Wasteland from whence he came.

FL y**== y**== y**==
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Vermont is the most beautiful state I have seen. With comments like yours, no wonder some Vermonters want to secede from the Union. You ''Americans'' should be ashamed of yourselves! and Canuckster should be immediately deported to the Frozen Wasteland from whence he came.

FL y**== y**== y**==
Vermont does have a lot of natural beauty, FL. I'm sure it looks more beautiful to you, since Quebec is pretty much a wasteland, like the one Bart came from.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Vermont is indeed one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. Especially the Green Mountains area. Have spent some nice summers traveling there and also wonderful days, during the winter, skiing at Killington. Actually had my first "experience" at skiing chest-deep snow there.

Killington has a many miles long trail. Mind you, at the time, I'd not yet skied Western powder. So, one day I was skiing Killington's longest trail. The snow was extremely deep, off trail, but the trail itself had been machine groomed and wasn't very deep. But as the trail kept weaving in and around these pristine, five-foot high snow fields, I couldn't resist cutting through one. But just as I did, I just kept plowing deeper and deeper and finally was only stopped by a large tree. But by the time I hit the tree, the only parts of my body still above the snow were basically my head and neck. I didn't understand that you have to get up on top of deep snow, so as to make cuts and turns - and also to be able to stop. Also, the snow wasn't exactly powder - it was "Eastern powder" (heavy and rather wet). Luckily, I was skiing with someone (who didn't see me cut into the field, but heard me yelling for help). I couldn't believe how heavy that snow was, as I couldn't even get my arms up enough above the snow to dig out, much less to free my legs. Of course, before I was "rescued," my friend made sure to get some humiliating photos of my predicament.

Beautiful place, but gets extremely cold. You know when people in northern CT (not exactly known for being warm) refer to VT as being like Siberia, as it gets absolutely frigid.

Sorry, for that huge rabbit trail, but I love VT!
Last edited by Philip on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Vermont does have a lot of natural beauty
Philip wrote:I love VT!
OK. I forgive both of you.

FL I :heart: VT

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip, I also had a great time skiing at Killington! My most memorable skiing experience was about 12 years ago at Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. There were only a handful of skiiers on the mountain, because the temperature was 0 degrees F at the bottom of the mountain, and even colder at the top! You think skiing in wet snow is hard, try skiing on a sheet of ice!

FL wrote:
OK. I forgive both of you.
FL, how can you not lovermont, if you live near Montreal? Ive been there once. It's a barren wasteland. y>:D<

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick, as for skiing on ice - that's basically what I learned to ski on, in the resorts of the NC mountains. Yes, they do get nice snow there, but they often have daytime temps which warm up enough to make the surface soft, and so when the temp plunges in late afternoon and overnight, the early morning skiing can be extremely icy and hazardous. Often, there are sheets of ice you can't see until you are right on top of them. Plus it's not like NC and other eastern ski areas have nice, wide slopes - and thus the same wide margins for error - as do Western slopes. And if you can run an intermediate run on NC ice, you can just about ski any advanced slopes with in deep Western powder. But, alas, at 54, several days of skiing can really be rough on the knees.

And forget that zero and below stuff - that is absolutely brutal!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And forget that zero and below stuff - that is absolutely brutal!
Precisely why I moved to Florida. :sunny:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Precisely why I moved to Florida.
Yes, Rick, and also where the State Bird is the mosquito! :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Precisely why I moved to Florida.
Yes, Rick, and also where the State Bird is the mosquito! :lol:
And, Florida is also where other state birds fly for the winter. :lol:

FYI, I've has less trouble with mosquitos here, than when I lived in Massachusetts. y:-?

-Edward R Murrow