Question about living for Christ and Buddhist's nirvana

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Question about living for Christ and Buddhist's nirvana

Post by cubeus19 »

Hey everyone, I was wondering about the fact that we as Christians are told to deny ourselves, love our enemies and resist temptation and evil and I got to thinking isn't it very similar to the Buddhist concept of denying their selves and reaching a state called nirvana?

From what I gather aren't Buddhists supposed to always take the road of most resistance on everything in order to reach nirvana? And if that is the case does Christ expect us to do something similar or almost similar? Or is there a difference between the two? Does Christ allow His followers room to relax versus what Buddhism teaches in the sense of always taking the path of most resistance? Just curious as to what you all know about this. Thanks!
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Question about living for Christ and Buddhist's nirvana

Post by Ivellious »

I think you'll find that many world religions share similar core values.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ivellious wrote:I think you'll find that many world religions share similar core values.
That settles it! I'm getting a big fat Buddha statue, I'm gonna sit it in my living room and dump a load of oranges and lighted candles at its feet.

What aroma of incense would you suggest? Should I listen to sitar music? And watch Bollywood films?

I really want to get this right...please help me.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Well, that certainly was misinformed and insensitive. Buddhism does not require you to inhale fumes and meditate 8 hours a day. I never said that Buddhism and Christianity are the same, but they do hold similar views for how you should live your life. Push yourself, live within your means, do not dwell on Earthly possessions, enjoy the little things in life, be charitable and help others, etc. etc.

Living your life by the tenets of each religion will likely lead to physically, spiritually, and morally strong lives. That was the point I was making.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Ivellious wrote:

Living your life by the tenets of each religion will likely lead to physically, spiritually, and morally strong lives. That was the point I was making.
Well! now I'm confused. Are you saying the Buddha and oranges and holy candles are a bad idea? Do you think I should get myself a totem pole and dance around it to the glory of the Raven? After all, aboriginals are a strong, healthy people in tune with Nature and respect the environment. I really want a spiritually strong life. Please help me find the right path!

FL yp(%)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Please help me find the right path!
FL, follow the path of Mormonism, and you'll get your own planet. ;)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

The Buddhist path to nirvana is about self-reliance, i.e. you work your way there, yet Christianity is about trust in Jesus's work on the cross - nothing is required from you, only to accept it. So I believe that's a major difference.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Once upon a time were two sailors from Australia who got off ship in London and decided to live it up in a local pub. After hours of drinking and rolicking good times, they went out into the night straight into a thick London fog. Inebriated, they staggered about trying to find their way back to their ship. They came across an old man wearing a military uniform with shiny medals all across his chest. The Ozzies asked him, ''Hey Mate! do you know where we are?'' The military man looked at them sternly and asked, ''Do you know who I am?'' Then, one Ozzie looked at the other and said, ''We're deep in the muck, mate! We don't know where we are and this chap doesn't know who he is!''

+ + +

If you don't know where you are in relation to God and how salvation comes about, you are lost! Just like the two Ozzies above, you are lost! and if you meet some haughty character pushing an esoteric faith, you are even worse off.

Buddhism is spiritual garbage, period. It has nothing to do with Christianity.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I think you'll find that many world religions share similar core values
I think you'll find that religions my be similar on the fringe values but are very different at their core.

The thing to understand about religion is that all relgions will get somethings right. That really isn't the question.
Buddhism on its surface may seem to revere the idea of selflesness, but a closer inspection reveals this is far different at the core than Christian surrender. FL hit it right on the head. Spiritual garbage.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are certain universal truths in almost all religions.
The goals tend to be very similar but the paths are were they diverge.
There is no room for Love in Buddhism, not the kind of love preached by Christ and the self-reliance taught in Buddhism is what leads us to Sin in Christianity.
To be honest, the self-reliance thing in Buddhism never made much sense to me since it would go against some of its core principles ( life being an illusion and suffering coming from wants), but I digress.