Simple math problem?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Simple math problem?

Post by RickD »

Alright, for all you math geeks. I was helping my son with his math homework, and this was one of his problems. I thought it was simple enough. Use the Pythagorean theorem, to find the answer, right? Apparently not. Teacher and answer book said I was wrong. Please show me why I'm wrong. Here it is.

Estimate the length of a square table with a diagonal length of √119 feet to the nearest whole number.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Simple math problem?

Post by Ivellious »

One would think the Pythagorean Theorem would work. I help my younger brothers and always get bothered by the "estimate the answer" problems because they have some weird way of coming with with the "right" estimates. Does the book or teacher give some different way of estimating these answers? Because otherwise, to me, I would think your line of thought is fine.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:One would think the Pythagorean Theorem would work. I help my younger brothers and always get bothered by the "estimate the answer" problems because they have some weird way of coming with with the "right" estimates. Does the book or teacher give some different way of estimating these answers? Because otherwise, to me, I would think your line of thought is fine.
No, the book just gives the answer as "11". Now, the diagonal of the square table, √119, is 11, when rounded to the nearest whole number. But, the problem is looking for the length of a side of the square, which is 8, when rounded to the nearest whole number.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I would have your kid ask for an explanation from the teacher on that one, because unless I'm just totally reading that wrong, the book has an error in it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:I would have your kid ask for an explanation from the teacher on that one, because unless I'm just totally reading that wrong, the book has an error in it.
He's going to ask the teacher tomorrow. I can't see what I'm missing. I posted the question exactly like his book says. And, the whole chapter is on the Pythagorean theorem.

-Edward R Murrow

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Well, math textbooks do tend to have occasional errors or typos in them. And if it's only one problem, I wouldn't worry too much. Let me know what he finds out, because I'm gonna feel stupid until I find out how to get that answer haha.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:Well, math textbooks do tend to have occasional errors or typos in them. And if it's only one problem, I wouldn't worry too much. Let me know what he finds out, because I'm gonna feel stupid until I find out how to get that answer haha.
I'm going to feel stupid, as well, because I told my son that I'm 100% sure I'm right. y[-o<

If I hear tomorrow, I'll post the answer.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

The book is wrong, you are right. It is that simple.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The book had the wrong answer. I'm so happy that I'm able to do 7th grade math. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

you were nervous there for a moment huh Rick? probably thinking i know i got the answer right....i hope i got it right...please let it be right y[-o< lol
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Zionist wrote:you were nervous there for a moment huh Rick? probably thinking i know i got the answer right....i hope i got it right...please let it be right y[-o< lol
Actually, I had complete confidence that I had the correct answer. After my son told me that the teacher said my answer was wrong, I did the problem a few more times, just to make sure. it was as simple as 2x2= 16. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

Zionist
Established Member

Post by Zionist »

lol :pound:
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Zionist wrote:you were nervous there for a moment huh Rick? probably thinking i know i got the answer right....i hope i got it right...please let it be right y[-o< lol
Actually, I had complete confidence that I had the correct answer. After my son told me that the teacher said my answer was wrong, I did the problem a few more times, just to make sure. it was as simple as 2x2= 16. :mrgreen:
You must be a relativist. :D
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
You must be a relativist. :D
Sure. The concept of math itself is relative. My 2x2=16, may be your 2x2=4. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow