The Flat Earth Myth

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
secretfire6
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Flat Earth Myth

Post by secretfire6 »

its been a long time since ive posted here. I'm glad to see some folks i recognize. anyway I've always understood that it was the early Catholic church that formed and perpetuated the idea of a flat earth, as well as the earth being the center of the universe and all things revolving around it. I also believe it was the church of England who claimed that the city of London was the very center of this "falt earth", but that idea may have come even earlier, im not sure on that one.
Gravity forces all large heavenly bodies to become spheres when they have enough mass. Even planets of solid rock will give in to this force as the gravity they have trys to pull everything into one center point. The unique relationship between the rotational forces, inertia of the orbiting objects and gravity DO keep all the objects in our solar system on one plane (or close enough). That plane is allways 90 degrees from the axis that the largest body is rotating on. for example the rings of saturn all stay in a plane that is 90 degrees from the axis that saturn spins on and all our planets, moons and asteroid belts rotate in a plane 90 degrees from the axis of the sun's spin. Pretty cool huh?
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

joelhamme wrote:Educated people in the Middle Ages did not believe that the Earth was flat, Christian or otherwise. That is anti-Christian propaganda, as is the idea that Christianity was anti-science. Unfortunately, a number of Christians believed the propaganda, and are anti-science.

BY GEORGE HE'S GOT IT, GIVE THAT MAN AN A PLUS :clap:

Sorry I waited so long to read and reply to your post :crying:
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

[quote="secretfire6"]its been a long time since ive posted here. I'm glad to see some folks i recognize. anyway I've always understood that it was the early Catholic church that formed and perpetuated the idea of a flat earth, as well as the earth being the center of the universe and all things revolving around it. I also believe it was the church of England who claimed that the city of London was the very center of this "falt earth", but that idea may have come even earlier, im not sure on that one.

Where in Hades did you ever get those ideas? They are Anti-Christian propaganda. Look it up :shakehead:
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

I don't remember where exactly..i'm pretty sure I read it on a non religious website, but it was some time ago. I do remember it was specific in saying that the church used the verses that speak of "the four corners of the earth" as support for this view. I also remember a very in depth story about how Galileo's discoveries with the telescope made him nervous because reporting the fact that the earth was a ball and that we all rotate around the sun was putting his life at risk with the church. However I've also heard the old flat earth belief blamed on ancient scientists too. Personally it doesnt matter to me really. I would only be concerned if there were people out there TODAY that think earth is a flat square.
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Yahoo Answers is not the first place I'd look for an insightful discussion, but the "Best Answer" on this thread is surprisingly good: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 502AAOn3xc

It addresses Galileo and the events of his time, secretfire6.
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

Lux Aeterna wrote:Yahoo Answers is not the first place I'd look for an insightful discussion, but the "Best Answer" on this thread is surprisingly good: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 502AAOn3xc

It addresses Galileo and the events of his time, secretfire6.
Yes, lovely answer that was. I think what it shows is that it's not so much about Chrisitanity vs Science as it is about progression vs tradition. sounded like both Popes wanted to appear neutral or something..as if they didnt want to go against the grain.
twinc
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by twinc »

there are some who actually accept that that this flat earth circles round the sun - the Bible has always had it right that the earth is not flat and that the sun and universe circle round it - twinc
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

twinc wrote:there are some who actually accept that that this flat earth circles round the sun - the Bible has always had it right that the earth is not flat and that the sun and universe circle round it - twinc
you're serious?? there are flat earth people around still today?? in developed and educated countries? I guess we will have to send them along on a mission to the ISS so they can see for themselves otherwise they will just say "oh those photos and videos are faked, the scientists are liars, nobody has ever been into space, blah blah blah"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

secretfire6 wrote:you're serious?? there are flat earth people around still today?? in developed and educated countries? I guess we will have to send them along on a mission to the ISS so they can see for themselves otherwise they will just say "oh those photos and videos are faked, the scientists are liars, nobody has ever been into space, blah blah blah"
FOOL! I see you're still in the dark about the earth's real shape. I, RickD, Danieltwotwenty all know the earth to be flat. Proinsias thinks it is carrot-shaped.

The Earth is FLat
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

secretfire6 wrote:
twinc wrote:there are some who actually accept that that this flat earth circles round the sun - the Bible has always had it right that the earth is not flat and that the sun and universe circle round it - twinc
you're serious?? there are flat earth people around still today?? in developed and educated countries? I guess we will have to send them along on a mission to the ISS so they can see for themselves otherwise they will just say "oh those photos and videos are faked, the scientists are liars, nobody has ever been into space, blah blah blah"
Secretfire, this whole running joke we have about a flat earth, stems from a temporary member who was a flat earther, and we kinda teased him about it. I don't think he took it too well, and he consequently never came back to the site. IMO, flat earth theory is one of the most ridiculous things that I ever heard, along with geocentrism. Both flat earth, and geocentrism are taken from some weird interpretation of scripture, and obviously, have both been proven as false by science, and observation. The hardcore flat earthers believe round earth is a massive conspiracy by the govt. and NASA. And, all pictures of a spherical earth, are fake. I spent a little time on their site, kinda hoping the whole flat earth belief was a joke. But, there really are people who believe in a flat earth. So, when you see us talking about a flat earth, you know why we have this long running joke.

P.S. Don't let Furstentum Liechtenstein read this post. He may think I've flown the coop. y:-$
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote: IMO, flat earth theory is one of the most ridiculous things that I ever heard
FOOL! ...but I forgive you. I know your just saying this to keep your job at the CIA.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Richard Dawkins said life appeared out of nowhere from nothing, Now that's even more ridiculous than the FET
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Murray wrote:Richard Dawkins said life appeared out of nowhere from nothing, Now that's even more ridiculous than the FET
Those that say dogmatically, that life appeared out of nowhere from nothing, refuse to believe in a Creator. I can understand that. Natural man doesn't want to be responsible to a God.

Many flat earthers believe scripture tells them that the earth is flat. That is more ridiculous to me. I wouldn't expect an atheist would want to believe in God. I would expect an educated Christian to realize that there is no round earth conspiracy, and the earth isn't flat. You have to realize that most of the educated flat earthers, have heard every objection to a flat earth, and they continue to defend flat earth theory. It's a stubbornness, and dogmatism, that many atheists don't even have.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
secretfire6
Established Member

Post by secretfire6 »

RickD wrote:
secretfire6 wrote:
Secretfire, this whole running joke we have about a flat earth, stems from a temporary member who was a flat earther, and we kinda teased him about it. I don't think he took it too well, and he consequently never came back to the site. IMO, flat earth theory is one of the most ridiculous things that I ever heard, along with geocentrism. Both flat earth, and geocentrism are taken from some weird interpretation of scripture, and obviously, have both been proven as false by science, and observation. The hardcore flat earthers believe round earth is a massive conspiracy by the govt. and NASA. And, all pictures of a spherical earth, are fake. I spent a little time on their site, kinda hoping the whole flat earth belief was a joke. But, there really are people who believe in a flat earth. So, when you see us talking about a flat earth, you know why we have this long running joke.

P.S. Don't let Furstentum Liechtenstein read this post. He may think I've flown the coop. y:-$
oh ok..wow haha. the harcore flat earther's do know that there are tests they can do themselves to see that the earth is indeed round don't they?
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

secretfire6 wrote:
RickD wrote:
secretfire6 wrote:

oh ok..wow haha. the harcore flat earther's do know that there are tests they can do themselves to see that the earth is indeed round don't they?
TESTS DESIGNED BY ROUND EARTHERS!!!