The Trinity.......beyond doubt

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The Trinity.......beyond doubt

Post by twinc »

perhaps the Jews state that Jesus is not directly mentioned in OT but the Trinity is but they seem to have missed that also "for Abraham rejoiced to see my days and he saw it and was glad" - dont you miss it but see the rendezvou at Mamre at Gen.18 - any comments - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Trinity.......beyond doubt

Post by PaulSacramento »

Those that reject the trinity doctrine do it based on the fact that it is NOT explicitly stated in the Bible and that is a fair enough critique BUT that "rule" then should apply to ANY doctrine NOT explicitly stated in the Bible.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Those that reject the trinity doctrine do it based on the fact that it is NOT explicitly stated in the Bible and that is a fair enough critique BUT that "rule" then should apply to ANY doctrine NOT explicitly stated in the Bible.
While I agree that the word "trinity", is not in the bible, the concept of the trinity is pretty clear in scripture.

And, belief in the trinity, or should I say, unbelief in the trinity, is a pretty good indication of whether a belief is cultic in nature.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

twinc wrote:perhaps the Jews state that Jesus is not directly mentioned in OT but the Trinity is but they seem to have missed that also "for Abraham rejoiced to see my days and he saw it and was glad" - dont you miss it but see the rendezvou at Mamre at Gen.18 - any comments - twinc
I have no idea what your point is as your question is too well - not clear at all - what do you mean?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Those that reject the trinity doctrine do it based on the fact that it is NOT explicitly stated in the Bible and that is a fair enough critique BUT that "rule" then should apply to ANY doctrine NOT explicitly stated in the Bible.
While I agree that the word "trinity", is not in the bible, the concept of the trinity is pretty clear in scripture.

And, belief in the trinity, or should I say, unbelief in the trinity, is a pretty good indication of whether a belief is cultic in nature.
Yep, the concept is there and the only way to reconcile many verses is a Triune God ( for lack of a better word) but none of that changes the fact that it isn't there stated explicitly.
My point though is that for those that use that as a reason, they must apply that reason across the board and they don't.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:

Yep, the concept is there and the only way to reconcile many verses is a Triune God ( for lack of a better word) but none of that changes the fact that it isn't there stated explicitly.
My point though is that for those that use that as a reason, they must apply that reason across the board and they don't.
I see what you're saying, but I guess I don't know enough specifically about JW theology, to say what you're saying. Perhaps you could lay out some examples of their inconsistencies on what they hold to that's not stated explicitly in scripture.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:

I see what you're saying, but I guess I don't know enough specifically about JW theology, to say what you're saying. Perhaps you could lay out some examples of their inconsistencies on what they hold to that's not stated explicitly in scripture.
The most blatant is the doctrine that Jesus is the incarnate form of the Archangel Michael.
There is NOTHING in the bible that says that BUT they view, according to their interpretations, the passages that mention Michael as IMPLYING that He is Jesus in his pre-incarnate form.
Examples are Daniel where Michael is the one that stands up for Israel (never mind that he is called ONE of the chief princes).
1Thessalonians where Christ will come with the voice of "the" archangel ( since according to the JW's there is only ONE archangel, Michael, then Christ is Michel)
Now to be fair, this whole idea of Michael - Jesus is NOTHING new nor was it invented by them.
But it is a prime of example of taking what MAY be implicit and making it doctrine and YET criticizing those that do the same thing in regards to the Trinity doctrine.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Thanks, Paul. I see it clearer now.

-Edward R Murrow

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jews did believe in the Holy Trinity. The difference in my mind was simply that they don't believe Jesus was part of it (the son/Messiah).
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ivellious wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jews did believe in the Holy Trinity. The difference in my mind was simply that they don't believe Jesus was part of it (the son/Messiah).
Ivellious, Judaism is unitarian. Christianity is trinitarian.
Maybe this'll help:http://whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation6.html

-Edward R Murrow

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Ah, shows how much I know. Guess I don't have many Jewish friends haha
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The whole notion of a "triune God" is blasphemy and heresy to a Jew.
Lets remember that we use the term "Trinity" because of tradition, I am sure that IF the doctrine had come to be in the 20th century for example, we would be using a different term and different wording to explain the nature of the relationship between Father, Son and HS.
Remember, to some Jesus IS the HS so there is a "biune" as oppose to a Triune God.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

You mean like Sola Scriptura? :esurprised: (okay, okay, I'll behave).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
You mean like Sola Scriptura? :esurprised: (okay, okay, I'll behave).
Hey! Who invited the Catholic? Be gone, heretic!!! :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

An old Irishman, McDougal, had a loyal and faithful dog who died. McDougal went to his parish priest and asked, "Father, could you say some prayers in Mass for my dog?" The old pastor said, "McDougal, you know very well that we don't pray for animals at Mass. Why don't you go down to that Baptist church and ask them? I'm sure they'll do it." "Well, ok, Father, I think I'll do just that. Oh, by the way, do you think they'll be offended if I offered them $5,000 to pray for my dog?"

Father exclaimed, "Why, McDougal, you never said your dog was Catholic!"
:pound:

-Edward R Murrow