God Incarnate ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

God Incarnate ?

Post by twinc »

Was God ever incarnate before "He dwelt amongst us" - has He or will He ever be again - any comments - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: God Incarnate ?

Post by PaulSacramento »

One can argue that He was incarnate when he visited Abe and told him what he was going to do with Soddom.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:One can argue that He was incarnate when he visited Abe and told him what he was going to do with Soddom.
yes and also elsewhere even though the Jews accepted that "no man can see God and live" - so guess who they saw and did not recognise in spite of being told in the scriptures - no excuses since " Jehovah came unto His own and they did not know Him or accept Him" - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:One can argue that He was incarnate when he visited Abe and told him what he was going to do with Soddom.
yes and also elsewhere even though the Jews accepted that "no man can see God and live" - so guess who they saw and did not recognise in spite of being told in the scriptures - no excuses since " Jehovah came unto His own and they did not know Him or accept Him" - twinc
Well, the readings of any scripture are based on the type ( genre) of writing BUT under the context of that chapter in Genesis, it's hard to argue that 3 People represented God and that God was "in person" speaking with Abe as Abe tried to "persuade" God to "change" his mind.
Of course the Jews also do NOT believe in a personification of evil, ie:satan, Yet He is mentioned in Job so...
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Abraham,as a jew,bowed down and worshipped Him and addressed all three as one and was addressed by all three as one - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:Abraham,as a jew,bowed down and worshipped Him and addressed all three as one and was addressed by all three as one - twinc
Yep.
Still, if a person doesn't "see" it, then they don't "see" it.
I know quite a few Christians that don't accept the Trinity because they just can't get their "minds around it", BUT they accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour.
We need to realize that by the time Jesus came around that there wasn't just ONE Judaisim, with only ONE set of beliefs.
Not all believed in the resurrection or any type of existence after death ( Saudacees), many focussed on the Law and correct behaviour under the interpretation of that Law by a elected few ( Pharisees) and some withdrew from society ( Essenses) and others were all for armed revolt ( Zelots).
And all could site the proper scriptures to justify their views.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:
twinc wrote:Abraham,as a jew,bowed down and worshipped Him and addressed all three as one and was addressed by all three as one - twinc
Yep.
Still, if a person doesn't "see" it, then they don't "see" it.
I know quite a few Christians that don't accept the Trinity because they just can't get their "minds around it", BUT they accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour.
We need to realize that by the time Jesus came around that there wasn't just ONE Judaisim, with only ONE set of beliefs.
Not all believed in the resurrection or any type of existence after death ( Saudacees), many focussed on the Law and correct behaviour under the interpretation of that Law by a elected few ( Pharisees) and some withdrew from society ( Essenses) and others were all for armed revolt ( Zelots).
And all could site the proper scriptures to justify their views.
hold fast here to return later but you have not mentioned reincarnation - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I don't know much about reincarnation in Judaisim, sorry.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:I don't know much about reincarnation in Judaisim, sorry.
it is in the NT not the OT - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I don't know much about reincarnation in Judaisim, sorry.
it is in the NT not the OT - twinc
Reincarnation in the NT?

Reincarnation in what sense?
re·in·car·na·tion
   [ree-in-kahr-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form.
rebirth of the soul in a new body.
a new incarnation or embodiment, as of a person

World English Dictionary
reincarnation (ËŒriːɪnkɑːˈneɪʃən)

— n
1. the belief that on the death of the body the soul transmigrates to or is born again in another body
2. the incarnation or embodiment of a soul in a new body after it has left the old one at physical death
3. embodiment again in a new form, as of a principle or idea
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

search the NT untill I come back - maybe someone else may help - twinc
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

twinc wrote:search the NT [for reincarnation] untill I come back - maybe someone else may help - twinc
There is no reincarnation in the Bible: Hebrews 9:27.

PaulSacramento gave a good definition of reincarnation:
PaulSacramento wrote:1. the belief that on the death of the body the soul transmigrates to or is born again in another body
2. the incarnation or embodiment of a soul in a new body after it has left the old one at physical death
FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
twinc wrote:search the NT [for reincarnation] untill I come back - maybe someone else may help - twinc
There is no reincarnation in the Bible: Hebrews 9:27.

PaulSacramento gave a good definition of reincarnation:
PaulSacramento wrote:1. the belief that on the death of the body the soul transmigrates to or is born again in another body
FL
I have to agree with this. Unless one wants to count the resurrected and transformed body as being "reincarnated" (quite a stretch), I just don't see it at all. I don't even know of a passage I could twist to SOUND like reincarnation in the usual sense.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

twinc wrote:Was God ever incarnate before "He dwelt amongst us" - has He or will He ever be again - any comments - twinc

Incarnate in the flesh?

Incarnate in regards to a Theophany?

You are not specific as to the type of incarnate - do you mean material, spiritual, fleash, etc...?

Please note this:

Exodus 24:9, 10, 11 Then Moses went up, also Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10 and they saw the God (Elohim) of Israel. And there was under His feet as it were a paved work of sapphire stone, and it was like the very heavens in its clarity. 11 But on the nobles of the children of Israel He did not lay His hand. So they saw God (Elohim), and they ate and drank. NKJV

Interesting the 70 saw God before what happened whe God said this to Moses...

Exodus 33:20 But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"

Note it states, cannot see my face (Hebrew: pāniym) and does not refer to seeing God as he chooses to reveal Himself...

Think about it
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

From what I understand of religions that preach reincarnation, it is NOT the same as resurrection.
A soul being reincarnated typically is on ANOTHER body, at times even an animal.
The resurrection is the "bringing back to life" of the body we had but in its perfect state ( for believers).
The bodies we once had will be resurrected but like Christs body - flesh and Bone, it will be a "spiritual" body in the sense that it will not die or experience corruption but be like the bodies of the angels, a body that is material AND spiritual.