The Lamb of God and England

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The Lamb of God and England

Post by twinc »

did they or did they not - did those feet in ancient times walk on England's mountains green and was the holy Lamb of God on England's pleasant pastures seen ? - twinc
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The Lamb of God and England

Post by Katabole »

Hi Twinc.

I assume you are speaking about the long held tradition in England regarding the silent years of Jesus. The Bible does not say what Jesus did between the ages of 12 and 30. The tradition is that he was subject to his parents until his earth father Joseph died and then became apprentice to his uncle Joseph of Arimathea who as part of Jesus' family was kinsman redeemer according to Israelite law. After Jesus died, it was Joseph of Arimathea who claimed the body of Jesus from Pilate and the only way he could have done that is if he was related to the family, just as we would today if a family member died and was at the local morgue.

The earliest known writing of Joseph of Arimathea outside the Bible claims that he was the head of a tin mining district which is the reason why he became a rich man. During the first century AD, the island of Britannica was the largest supplier of tin for the Roman Empire. Evidence is found on the south east coast of England in the Cornwall district of extensive tin mining operations from that era.

I do know that there is a letter in the Vatican from Saint Augustine in the sixth century to the Pope at that time, claiming that credit should be given to the British Isles as the first place Christianity spread outside Judea because Joseph of Arimathea would have continued to travel there and since the Bible claims he was a follower of Jesus he would have brought Christianity with him. Augustine must have known that the early Christian monks only built their monasteries on the holiest of ground and the reason why the old Glastonbury Abbey was built where it was is because Jesus, his mother Mary and Joseph of Arimathea lived there while they were employed in mining.

There is a low budget documentary on Youtube which is worth your time to watch entitled 'Traditions of Glastonbury' from biblical archaeologist, Dr. E. Raymond Capt. if you want to know more about the long held British tradition.

Evidently in William Blake's poem, part of which you quoted above, he is asking if Jesus living in the British Isles was actually true based on Britains long held tradition that it was.

Hope that helps you.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

exactly so Katabolle and not everyone knows the truth about the Holy Grail which was the great secret and those who came to know were sworn to secrecy etc - I wasnt so we might get to know at last if everyone here behaves themselves - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Saint Augustine was from the 4th century, not the sixth.
Is there a reason that the NT does NOT mention that Joseph of Arimathea was a relative of Jesus?
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:Saint Augustine was from the 4th century, not the sixth.
Is there a reason that the NT does NOT mention that Joseph of Arimathea was a relative of Jesus?
it does say for fear of the Jews etc - it does seem it would become public knowledge - I read it is mentioned in the Torah or Talmud - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
it does say for fear of the Jews etc - it does seem it would become public knowledge - I read it is mentioned in the Torah or Talmud - twinc
The NT is very open about who was Jesus family - James, Judas, etc, why hide the fact that Joseph was family too?
Doesn't make a lot of sense...
And after the fall of Jerusalem the Jews had NO power to persecute anyone and since GOJ was written after that, why hide the truth about Joseph?
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

PaulSacramento wrote:
twinc wrote:
The NT is very open about who was Jesus family - James, Judas, etc, why hide the fact that Joseph was family too?
And after the fall of Jerusalem the Jews had NO power to persecute anyone and since GOJ was written after that, why hide the truth about Joseph?
so who was Saul/Paul persecuting before his Damascus experience and afterwards hiding from and let down in a basket to safety - who was stoning Stephen and who confined Peter in chains in prison - btw it only adds to the conjecture that James,Jude etc were presumed to be or accepted as family but not really so - who knows - twinc
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

twinc wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
twinc wrote:
so who was Saul/Paul persecuting before his Damascus experience and afterwards hiding from and let down in a basket to safety - who was stoning Stephen and who confined Peter in chains in prison - twinc
ALL that happened BEFORE the gospels were written, that is my point.
John states that Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but in secret ( because of the issues of THAT time, not when John was writing, hence John NAMED him and said he was a disciple).
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

St.Augustine landed in England in 597 - twinc
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Correct Paul. Sorry, its been awhile since I looked through documents at the Vatican library and was just going on memory which fails me periodically. :oops:
PaulSacramento wrote:The NT is very open about who was Jesus family - James, Judas, etc, why hide the fact that Joseph was family too?
What I've always found fascinating about it, is that if Joseph of Arimathea wasn't from Jesus' immediate family, why would the Roman authorities give him charge over a body that wasn't a family member, especially considering that he boldly went to Pilate and demanded the body?
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Katabole - Augustine came to England in AD 597 which is the sixth century - Augustine of Hippo was fourth century - twinc