Reincarnation in scriptures

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Reincarnation in scriptures

Post by twinc »

RickD wrote:
twinc wrote:to one and all so far - exactly what was the question - answer awaited - twinc
Twinc, you posed the question, in your original post in this thread. Did you forget already? I think it's time for your nap.
are you the okay kid - twinc
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
twinc wrote:to one and all so far - exactly what was the question - answer awaited - twinc

Your question is too vague, maybe if you define what you mean by reincarnation first.

Dan
as found in the Bible and not the evolution one - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Your question is too vague, maybe if you define what you mean by reincarnation first.

Dan
as found in the Bible and not the evolution one - twinc
Twinc, we all are anxiously awaiting you to tell us where reincarnation is in the bible. Please stop being so vague, and just come out with it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

the question was ? - the answer is you tell us - crazy - twinc
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Feck it, I'll give an answer.

Yes.

From what I gather the idea of reincarnation was not completely alien to some early Christian thinkers, thinking mainly gnostic Christianity here. Early and proto-Judiaism I must confess I've not heard much murmurings from regarding reincarnation but would be happy to hear otherwise.

It would be much easier if you simply told us your opinion as opposed to asking questions and then guiding us towards a specific answer that you are looking for.

I would be grateful if you could expand upon reincarnation as an evolutionary concept as opposed to a biblical one. I'm familiar with it as a Hindu/Buddhist and I'm rather shaky on the Christian idea but haven't heard anything about evolutionary reincarnation. Reincarnation always struck me as more revolution than evolution.

Could you provide a explanation of your understanding of reincarnation in Christian and early Judaic streams of thought?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Proinsias wrote:Feck it, I'll give an answer.

Yes.

From what I gather the idea of reincarnation was not completely alien to some early Christian thinkers, thinking mainly gnostic Christianity here. Early and proto-Judiaism I must confess I've not heard much murmurings from regarding reincarnation but would be happy to hear otherwise.

It would be much easier if you simply told us your opinion as opposed to asking questions and then guiding us towards a specific answer that you are looking for.

I would be grateful if you could expand upon reincarnation as an evolutionary concept as opposed to a biblical one. I'm familiar with it as a Hindu/Buddhist and I'm rather shaky on the Christian idea but haven't heard anything about evolutionary reincarnation. Reincarnation always struck me as more revolution than evolution.

Could you provide a explanation of your understanding of reincarnation in Christian and early Judaic streams of thought?
Of course you're shaky on the Christian idea of reincarnation, so are we. That's because it doesn't exist (Hebrews 9:27).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Of COURSE Christians and Jews have always believed in reincarnation. It's called the Resurrection! My bodiless soul well get its carne back . . . Jac 2.0. More tl;dr's than before--enough volume to test even God's infinite patience!

I can't wait! (pun intended)

:ebiggrin: y:o) 8-}2
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Byblos wrote:
Proinsias wrote:Feck it, I'll give an answer.

Yes.

Of course you're shaky on the Christian idea of reincarnation, so are we. That's because it doesn't exist (Hebrews 9:27).
here then is imho what Christ really meant when He said "ye must be born again" - the ye was Nicodemus who was a Jew and not a Christian - all who are not Christians must be reincarnated or born again - once they are Christian, reincarnation ends and no longer applies as necessary for really the only way is The Way which is acceptance or rejection of Christ and Christianity - again listen to Christ as He says "who do some jews and you as early Christians say that I am reincarnated - guess what the answers were and then He said you as Christians who do you say I am - twinc
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

That seems, in my opinion, to frame Christ more in terms of a Buddha, a teacher offering a method to release one from samsara.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Proinsias wrote:That seems, in my opinion, to frame Christ more in terms of a Buddha, a teacher offering a method to release one from samsara.
Yep. twinc's ''Christianity'' is so in name only.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

It seem that twinc's theology of Christ being reincarnated, is in twinc's own words, "WEIRD AND WACKY AND FALLIBLE,FLAWED,FAULTY, lorra,lorra nonsense,crazy,way out,weird and wacky modern stuff ad infinitum and ad absurdum."
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

RickD wrote:It seem that twinc's theology of Christ being reincarnated, is in twinc's own words, "WEIRD AND WACKY AND FALLIBLE,FLAWED,FAULTY, lorra,lorra nonsense,crazy,way out,weird and wacky modern stuff ad infinitum and ad absurdum."
it is not twinc who has it wrong but your base over apex so guess where some people get their way out,weird and wacky crazy nonsense - Christ never ever was reincarnated except in your faulty thinking and conclusion - just in case you have not yet realised Christ was Christianity and did not need to be born again - come home now and do not wait for a personal revelation as granted to Peter but be told here that Christ was an incarnation whilst Jesus could have been a reincarnation - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:
RickD wrote:It seem that twinc's theology of Christ being reincarnated, is in twinc's own words, "WEIRD AND WACKY AND FALLIBLE,FLAWED,FAULTY, lorra,lorra nonsense,crazy,way out,weird and wacky modern stuff ad infinitum and ad absurdum."
it is not twinc who has it wrong but your base over apex so guess where some people get their way out,weird and wacky crazy nonsense - Christ never ever was reincarnated except in your faulty thinking and conclusion - just in case you have not yet realised Christ was Christianity and did not need to be born again - come home now and do not wait for a personal revelation as granted to Peter but be told here that Christ was an incarnation whilst Jesus could have been a reincarnation - twinc
Oh, so people have to become reincarnated, which is the same thing as being born-again? Got it, twinc!

-Edward R Murrow

twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

It is important to realise that Christians do not have to be born again - non Christians have to be born again as Christians to accept or reject Christ as saviour of the world - guess how this will be made possible - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:It is important to realise that Christians do not have to be born again - non Christians have to be born again as Christians to accept or reject Christ as saviour of the world - guess how this will be made possible - twinc
Twinc, you're not making any sense. People become born again when they place their faith in Christ. That is the same as becoming a Christian. And, it's made possible, by the efficacious work of Christ.

-Edward R Murrow