Prehistoric cave "movies" discovered

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Prehistoric cave "movies" discovered

Post by DRDS »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/wo ... 20011.html

Prehistoric cave 'movies' discovered
Researchers figure out how Stone Age artists created an animation effect in cave drawings.

My personal suggestion, "prehistoric man" was made in God's image with high intelligence and the necessary abilities to create things like this at such a "primitive" time. :D
KBCid

Re: Prehistoric cave "movies" discovered

Post by KBCid »

Now that was quite enlightening.
Just keep in mind that if we can't name the motion designer then we can't assert it was intelligently designed. It was probly just some scratching by a neaderthal that evolved to look like a motion picture. since it is so old it has had billions of minutes for random mutation and natural selection to edit the original picture to give the 'appearance' of having been designed that way. I'm sure that most every scientist will agree with me too.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

KBCid wrote:Now that was quite enlightening.
Just keep in mind that if we can't name the motion designer then we can't assert it was intelligently designed. It was probly just some scratching by a neaderthal that evolved to look like a motion picture. since it is so old it has had billions of minutes for random mutation and natural selection to edit the original picture to give the 'appearance' of having been designed that way. I'm sure that most every scientist will agree with me too.
Cool, I'm going to attribute the drawing to a benevolent deity, I'm sure that most creationists and ID'ers will agree with me........
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Proinsias wrote:Cool, I'm going to attribute the drawing to a benevolent deity, I'm sure that most creationists and ID'ers will agree with me........
Lol. Good reply. Now by chance what exactly is it that would lead one to conclude intelligent agency? Just curious to see what others think.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Not so much conclude an intelligent design and moreso a mark that looks like it was made by a human or 'stoneage artists' as the article says. I tend to go with the school of thought that a while ago humans lived in caves, sometimes with fire, and often painted pictures of animals on the walls and roof of the caves. It doesn't seem like a huge leap to me that someone somewhere gave a horse two or three tails at different angles which would flicker in the firelight.

I can't think of any other agent, intelligent or not, that fits the profile of a cave dwelling, fire using artist. It doesn't seem to be the sort of thing a plant or a deer or a deity would do.

I suppose it could have been random mutation and natural selection that led the rock to arrange itself in the manner of palaeolithic cave art. It seems far more likely to me that it was the people who drew those pictures that evolved and not the paintings as we have a pretty good understanding of mutation and selection in people and comparatively little knowledge about mutation and selection in rock which imitates art.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Proinsias wrote:I can't think of any other agent, intelligent or not, that fits the profile of a cave dwelling, fire using artist. It doesn't seem to be the sort of thing a plant or a deer or a deity would do.
LOLOLOLOL. Excellent response. You an intelligent agent look at something in the natural world and by way of logic and reason deduced that first it is something that other intelligences would have done... and second you make the further observation that nothing else would logically or rationally do it.
There are some moments when it is a great joy to observe intelligence in action.
Proinsias wrote:I suppose it could have been random mutation and natural selection that led the rock to arrange itself in the manner of palaeolithic cave art. It seems far more likely to me that it was the people who drew those pictures that evolved and not the paintings as we have a pretty good understanding of mutation and selection in people and comparatively little knowledge about mutation and selection in rock which imitates art.
your killing me here.... my sides hurt. LOL @ "rock which imitates art"