God said:,, Don´t kill"

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
BryanH
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God said:,, Don´t kill"

Post by BryanH »

Because of the truth claims contained within the Bible which sets it apart from any other religious text.

Here is a link http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... ntro3.html
Being apart doesn't make it inspired by God.

My question remains the same: how do you know that Bible is God's work without the previous point you were talking about?

Just because the Bible has some bald ideas about the creation of the universe?
So do have other religions. And they are also very true compared to what we know today.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

BryanH wrote:
Because of the truth claims contained within the Bible which sets it apart from any other religious text.

My question remains the same: how do you know that Bible is God's work without the previous point you were talking about?

So do have other religions. And they are also very true compared to what we know today.
There is always an element of faith in everything we do, EVERYTHING we believe.
But that faith should be based on something and not be "blind faith".
One can NOT believe that the Bible is the word of God because somewhere in the bible, someone says so.
Our belief in the bible has to be based on MORE than that.
I submit that for some that is "enough" and that is their choice.

Each person must find out what makes them believe or reject the Bible as Word of God and WHY and then, in as honest a manner possible, test that view if it is correct.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

BryanH wrote:

If you can't do your own research thats your problem, there is plenty of information on the authenticity of the Bible on this site and on many others.
I do not have the time to write pages of information.

Good luck

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

If you can't do your own research thats your problem, there is plenty of information on the authenticity of the Bible on this site and on many others.
I do not have the time to write pages of information.

Good luck
Thank you Dan for your time.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I would say if someone has a sincere desire to ask, "why the Bible?" that they get either Lee Strobles "The Case for Faith." Or, get Josh McDowell's "The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict."
McDowell' s is far more text bookish, but addresses every area from historicity to fulfilled prophecy. Both were written by men who sought to gather research to debunk the Bible and the Christian faith, and were converted during their venture.
BryanH wrote: I would prefer a God that could zap all the bad people away as well.
Bad according to what?
And why are you so sure you wouldn't fall below that good/bad threshold?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

Bad according to what?
And why are you so sure you wouldn't fall below that good/bad threshold?
Then I would be zapped away:))
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Bryan,

I'm all up for honest, sincere discussion. I don't think you are. It's not a matter of objections, as people do have sincere objections, and I think we should be prepared to provide answers. But I don't believe for a minute you are such. So maybe being zapped away (from this forum) would be a blessing to us all. Or, maybe I'm being too judgmental. :shakehead:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

I'm all up for honest, sincere discussion. I don't think you are. It's not a matter of objections, as people do have sincere objections, and I think we should be prepared to provide answers. But I don't believe for a minute you are such. So maybe being zapped away (from this forum) would be a blessing to us all. Or, maybe I'm being too judgmental.
I think that you can always ban me. But my opinion is that as long as I have been here, I treated everyone with respect as much as possible.

I also admit that I did made mistakes while I was here, but I also learned a lot from you guys.

I know I'm not perfect jlay, but maybe sometimes it's good to have someone like me on such a forum.

It gives people someone to bounce idea with and also to remind them why they have so much faith in God.

How can you define good without evil? :mrgreen:
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Bryan,
I'm not a moderator, and have no more rights here than you.

A skeptic ought to be consistently skeptical. And I mean in regards to the info you bring to the forum in an attempt to undermine the foundations of Christianity. But you aren't consistent. You read something somewhere that fits your end game, and without any skepticism towards it, you dump it here, and say, "read this article." This is a discussion forum. It is where we actually shape the argument, not that we would never use a link.

We have a lot of skeptics here, many that are great contributors to this forum. Heck, there are even some who used to post that I miss. As I said, this isn't an issue of objections or being challenged. But the question is, are you here just for fun, because you enjoy being skeptical and elephant hurling. Or are you sincerley seeking answers, and are you open to the purpose of this board and forum.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

And even if you aren't open Bryan, that is still not even the issue. The issue is when you assert something (without any proof mind you), we address it and answer it thoroughly, such as the case with us not knowing anything about God, but then to our utter dismay we find that you are STILL using the same false argument as if we'd never addressed it. That is the frustrating part with you Bryan. At a minimum, when you assert something and it is addressed, unless you offer additional and convincing arguments against it, please do not assert it again. It's just a big waste of time and no one is liable to take you seriously.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

We have a lot of skeptics here, many that are great contributors to this forum. Heck, there are even some who used to post that I miss. As I said, this isn't an issue of objections or being challenged. But the question is, are you here just for fun, because you enjoy being skeptical and elephant hurling. Or are you sincerley seeking answers, and are you open to the purpose of this board and forum.
What I can say is that I'm very interested in the divinity subject.
And even if you aren't open Bryan, that is still not even the issue. The issue is when you assert something (without any proof mind you), we address it and answer it thoroughly, such as the case with us not knowing anything about God, but then to our utter dismay we find that you are STILL using the same false argument as if we'd never addressed it. That is the frustrating part with you Bryan. At a minimum, when you assert something and it is addressed, unless you offer additional and convincing arguments against it, please do not assert it again. It's just a big waste of time and no one is liable to take you seriously.
Sorry Byblos if I have put you and others in a difficult situation at times. Sometimes when you talk about radical different topics, well, that can happen. If it helps with anything, I felt the same on some topics.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

if I have put you and others in a difficult situation at times.
Never put me in a difficult spot, we have different world views and presuppositions that shape how we view the evidence.

We don't get into tight spots, we just walk away when we are throwing our pearls away.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

Gman wrote:
Ivi wrote:God said to Moses : "Don´t Kill." but why did He tell to the Izrael people to kill a lot of other nations . To kill babies, old people... well everyone.
Actually the correct context of this law was not to "murder" not killing itself. Killing was allowed by G-d only when all other avenues were exhausted. We can see this even today in our justice system when police carry guns and sometimes have to use them in order to protect the innocent. As for killing babies it's the only time you will see that in the Bible and particularly in the land of Israel and not anywhere else. Why? We are not too sure.. Some say that G-d knew how they were going grow up, others say that they were the offspring of a genetically altered race known as the nephilim, and others answer this way..
that is not the only time God either commands or speaks of killing children.