Jesus Resurrection

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
BryanH
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Jesus Resurrection

Post by BryanH »

You haven't stumbled on some "Eureka" find that debunks Christianity
I don't think there is something that can debunk faith.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

It's the foundations of faith we're dealing with Bryan.
So, what's your end game? Why are you here? What do you think linking your skeptical finds on google searches, that have been asked and answered over and over, is contibuting to this forum.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

BryanH wrote:
Dude, seriously?
http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/apollonius.html
I mean, if you are gonna LOOK for "simialarities" you will find them, even if they are NOT the similar at all.What is your point?
Read the article about Jesus that I provided as well. Very similar to what you have provided from that website about Mithra and Appollonius.

Anyways, the article I have provided you with does not focus on such coincidences, but mainly on discrepancies in the Bible.
As I said, when you have time, read it through.
I take it that with the same "gusto" that you look at the information about the "discrepancies" in the bible, you look for the replies to said discrepancies?
I think that we ALL agree that :
Pigs have legs, pigs eat with their mouths and are ominvores, that are born vaginally, they suckle as infants, they have a cardio-pulmanry system, and so forht, JUST LIKE HUMANS.
But I don't think that YOU would confuse a human with a pig eh?
Icthus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Icthus »

Bryan, I've taken a good look at the link you provided, and I am, quite frankly, not impressed. The article makes a number of patently ridiculous claims (that the idea that Jesus never existed is credible, pagan myths as sources for Jesus' life, etc.) At times, what Mr. Barker says in the article is blatantly untrue. I really do wish to be charitable, but he makes the rather insidious claim that liberal and conservative scholars agree that most or all of Josephus' mention of Jesus is an interpolation. While most believe that some of it (the part where it is stated that Jesus was the Christ) is a later addition, most don't consider the entire thing to be one. He also claims, most unfortunately, that Paul seems unaware of Jesus as a person and never mentions his life. Paul obviously knew of Jesus as he mentions the last supper, if I'm not mistaken, as well as his resurrection. He also claims to have seen Jesus (the event that converted him), and it seems somewhat unlikely that a pharisee such as himself, living in Jerusalem, would have never heard of Jesus or about his life and works. Furthermore, the traditions found in Romans and Corinthians concerning the resurrection are likely much older than the letters themselves, and they suggest a date for some of the core beliefs of Christianity (like the resurrection) within a few years, if not weeks, after Jesus' death. I'd like to see legendary accrual work that quickly. In addition, Paul claims to have met with the disciples (at least Peter and James the brother of Jesus), and it would be odd if they never talked about Jesus in that time. It is distressing that he makes some of the statements he does, and I confess it doesn't leave me with much confidence in his method or his integrity.

Some of the article is just plain silly. The idea that Jesus could have survived being crucified (one that is extraordinarily unlikely, if not impossible given the rigors of the process in question) is thrown out there as a possible natural explanation with no examination whatsoever. Other claims (lol at the idea of Mark being written after 90) are simply fringe views presented as fact. I could go on, but I don't think it would do much good (I'd really rather not get snarky, and I do fear that such an attitude, or a facsimile thereof, would be the inevitable result of pursuing the matter of Mr. Barker's article any further). This article was clearly not written by anyone competent in New Testament studies (Dan Barker, a former minister who apparently doesn't like to do research). Also: The Freedom From Religion Society? Really?

While we're on the subject, and while someone has brought up Bart Ehrman, I found an interesting, multi-part interview with him on the existence of Jesus on Ben Witherington III's blog. It can be viewed at:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/bibleandculture/

I apologize if the link doesn't light up that nice shade of blue and become clickable (I really should improve my board using skills). Do be patient if it doesn't, and just scroll down a bit. The latest entry (the seventh, I believe) is quite relevant to this discussion, as Ehrman (no friend to Christianity most of the time) slams some of the parallels claimed by skeptics, including Apollonius of Tyana.

I'm not an expert, by any means (I've only been studying this stuff for a few months), but I wouldn't take this article seriously.

I do hope I've been helpful.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton