Bible infallibility, again...

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.

Is it possible that the authors of the Bible made mistakes?

No. The Holy Bible is the Word of God, and Its authors/translators were guided by the Lord while writing every word; original manuscripts and translations are divinely inspired.
No votes
The Bible is the Word of God, and authors of the original manuscripts were guided by the Lord while writing every word; original manuscripts are divinely inspired, but various translations can distort these Words.
58%
The manuscripts that compose the Bible may have flaws because of human error, but the overall Christian message is consistent. Minor transcription errors/inconsistencies that may exist do not interfere with the foundation of Christianity.
17%
The Bible is a guide for Christians, but it is likely that it has been drastically changed over time, and the Words we have now should be open to interpretation.
8%
Unsure.
8%
Other.
8%

Total votes: 12

Eureka
Recognized Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Bible infallibility, again...

Post by Eureka »

I have reviewed the majority of previous threads regarding the issue of an infallible Bible, and it looked like most Christians believed pretty strongly that the Bible contains no errors. I am just curious to see where people tend to draw the line in this belief. And if your belief is not accurately described in the poll options I offered, please tell me what you believe!

More importantly, why do you believe what you believe? Is it mostly faith? Is it the geographical/historical accuracy of the stories? The consistently fulfilled prophecies? Are there any people who believe in salvation through Christ, but believe that the Bible is merely an historical account of events rather than the Word of God?

Thank you in advance for any responses!
"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Bible infallibility, again...

Post by Silvertusk »

Clicked on the second on. I veer towards errors being down to mainly our interpretations of what was written - rather than anything wrong with what was written itself.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I don't think that the poll can actually benefit you with any useful insight. It is inadequate to cover the topic in my opinion.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Eureka wrote:More importantly, why do you believe what you believe? Is it mostly faith? Is it the geographical/historical accuracy of the stories? The consistently fulfilled prophecies?
All of the above.
Eureka wrote:Are there any people who believe in salvation through Christ, but believe that the Bible is merely an historical account of events rather than the Word of God?
I'm sure there are but it doesn't mean they're consistent with their theology.

P.S. I know some will disagree (and it might very well a semantic point) but the Bible is not infallible, it is inerrant, i.e. does not contain material errors (immaterial errors due to translations that is).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

I voted 2 as well. If you ever read the preface to the original 1611 KJV which has never been reprinted, #2 pretty much sums up what the scribes and priests King James asked to translate/transliterate said.

Original KJV Preface

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/pref1611.htm
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think one needs to define what "inerrant" and "infaillable" means.
Is it fair to apply the criteria of "inerrant = no errors whatsoever" to a book like Job, which was NOT written that way but was basically a huge parable?
Is it fair to apply that criteria or pslams? or the various parables of Jesus for example?
Historical and biblical criticisim has raised many questions about bible inerrancy and, depending on the person, these have been dealt with in various degrees of efficacy, but that these issues exist is something that no one can turn a blind eye to.
Eureka
Recognized Member

Post by Eureka »

I only avoided the word "inerrant" because my spell-check kept rejecting it. :) If there is confusion, I guess I'm really asking about the words that the authors of the Bible say were said by God/Jesus. We dissect these verses with attention to every single letter!

I guess I won't gain much insight from the poll, but hopefully I can get some insight from those who will tell me WHY they believe what they believe about these books.

This has been a HUGE struggle for me...I feel like there isn't any reason to accept the Word as flawless except through faith.

Thanks, E
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Eureka wrote:This has been a HUGE struggle for me...I feel like there isn't any reason to accept the Word as flawless except through faith.
You've got it backwards. You accept Jesus as Lord first, then the Bible will be revealed as inerrant to you by the Spirit of God.

For now, all you can do is read it and complain...been there, done that.

FL (Former atheist :twisted: )
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Bible is correct, our interpretation is the only thing in question.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Eureka
Recognized Member

Post by Eureka »

I started going to church (with my cousins) when I was around 13 or so, and I accepted Christ as an early teen. I was an active member of the church through high school and college, and bible study and prayer were a huge part of my life. It wasn't until after college that I started realizing that the only real reason I believed in salvation through Christ and an inerrant Bible was because I wanted to believe those things and I wanted those things to be true.

I am still drawn to Christianity, but I really think that if the Bible were the Word of God, it would be protected throughout time and translation, etc...which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Maybe I can harvest faith in a petri dish or something, and there will be hope for me yet ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Eureka wrote:I started going to church (with my cousins) when I was around 13 or so, and I accepted Christ as an early teen. I was an active member of the church through high school and college, and bible study and prayer were a huge part of my life. It wasn't until after college that I started realizing that the only real reason I believed in salvation through Christ and an inerrant Bible was because I wanted to believe those things and I wanted those things to be true.

I am still drawn to Christianity, but I really think that if the Bible were the Word of God, it would be protected throughout time and translation, etc...which doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Maybe I can harvest faith in a petri dish or something, and there will be hope for me yet ;)
Eureka, maybe you're still a Christian, and God is calling you back. Have you ever thought of that possibility? Maybe there's a reason why you found this forum. y[-o<
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Eureka wrote:I started going to church (with my cousins) when I was around 13 or so, and I accepted Christ as an early teen. I was an active member of the church through high school and college, and bible study and prayer were a huge part of my life. It wasn't until after college that I started realizing that the only real reason I believed in salvation through Christ and an inerrant Bible was because I wanted to believe those things and I wanted those things to be true.

There's nothing wrong with wanting something to be true. Anyone who says that their desires don't enter the picture is just lying to you and possibly even themselves. The problem is when you conclude something is true based on your desire for it to be true. That doesn't work. Wanting something to be true can lead you to give assent when the evidence suggests that there is good reason. It can lead you to maintain assent in the face of opposing evidence while you research the problem (this is known colloquially as giving something the benefit of the doubt). Desiring something not be true has the same impacts on the reverse side.

So why should you believe the Bible? Well, that's a different question then what leads a person to believe! You should believe it because it's true. How you know that is quite another matter. As Byblos hinted at, everything comes to bear on this question. Fulfilled prophecies are telling. The fact that archaeology has been a huge friend of the Bible is another. The fact that (despite claims to the contrary) it fits well with our moral intuitions works in its favor. The fact that it has a coherent worldview helps. The fact that it is just the type of revelation we might expect of a God giving us a "true religion" is worth considering. In the end, what does it for me is the historical evidence for Jesus' resurrection. I can't get around that, which means that I have to believe that Jesus is who He said He is, and if that is true, then what He believed about Scripture matters a lot. And He believed that Scripture was inspired. Therefore, on His authority, I believe the same. So then, along with FL, I'd point out that it's faith in Christ that really seals the deal--that by believing in Jesus, it becomes easy to accept the authority of Scripture and seeing it for what it is. Trying to see the Bible as the Word of God apart from faith in Christ seems rather backwards, to me. I would suggest it would have been backwards to all of the biblical writers, too. Every single book of the Bible was written to believers (whether Jewish or Gentile). All of them. So all of them presuppose that their readers already believe in YHWH and/or Jesus.

So I'd suggest the bottom line for you ought to be, "Are the claims Jesus made about Himself reliable?" Or, more basically, "Is Jesus who He said He was? Is He who the Bible presents Him to be?" If you say yes to that, then the questions of biblical authority and inerrancy take on a very different meaning. If you say no, then what's the point of discussing the nature of Scripture, anyway?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Bible is correct, our interpretation is the only thing in question.

Dan
I agree, we tend to look at the bible with 21st century glasses on, not a good thing since the bible, which it has MANY timeless truths, was written by ancient man FOR ancient man and we can never discount that fact when we try to interpret it.
Failed and flawed Humans trying to make sense of the WORD of God and believing they can do that WITHOUT error is far more arrogant than anything other than believing that we can have a better world without God.