Disgusting

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Disgusting

Post by Murray »

Most disgusting thing I've ever read for a plot as a movie

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-film-outlawed- ... 26836.html

It should be illegal, freedom of speech or not that is just beyond vile
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Disgusting

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Don't worry, nothing will come of this. Christians will just yawn.

Imagine if Muhammad was being insulted? I can hear the rocks flying, the glass shattering; I can smell the buildings burning, I can sense the panic as you barricade your home against the rioters...for such is the way of the world.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

what goes on in the mind of a person that would even think about that , even yet make a movie about it. It's just sick....
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Murray wrote:Most disgusting thing I've ever read for a plot as a movie

Agreed, just horrible y[-X

It seems anything goes these days :x
Blasphemy was abolished as an offense in 2008 and on Tuesday the film board gave Wingrove's film an "18" rating, meaning it may be viewed by adults.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Stu wrote:

Blasphemy was abolished as an offense in 2008 and on Tuesday the film board gave Wingrove's film an "18" rating, meaning it may be viewed by adults.
Blasphemy doesn't even describe it, that's just so intolerant its ridiculous.

Heck i bet you they would outlaw it if it had the Prophet Muhammad in it.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Murray wrote:
Stu wrote:

Blasphemy doesn't even describe it, that's just so intolerant its ridiculous.
Precisely, I mean at what point does something like that become offensive, so offensive that it is likely to insight a potential violent response.
Heck i bet you they would outlaw it if it had the Prophet Muhammad in it.
Yip.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

I am at a loss for words. This is dumber than Family Guy religious jokes, where making an image of a chronically obese Jesus is considered comedy. Yes, there seriously is a joke on Family Guy, or something called "Seth MacFarlane's Calvacade of Comedy" that's just fat Jesus trying to heal somebody but he can't because he has heartburn.

I'd like to see what would happen if something similar was done to a major atheistic figure such as Charles Darwin, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, etc. I guess South Park already did that, in the episode where Richard Dawkins has sex with their teacher. Dawkins was not pleased.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I don't like South Park, but I guess you could say I "appreciate" that they are one of the very, very few truly equal opportunity comedies that makes fun of absolutely everybody. Family Guy is ridiculously hypocritical and "preachy".

Hopefully this thing doesn't get more attention because of the ban.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

narnia4 wrote:I don't like South Park, but I guess you could say I "appreciate" that they are one of the very, very few truly equal opportunity comedies that makes fun of absolutely everybody. Family Guy is ridiculously hypocritical and "preachy".

I stopped watching Family Guy because of the stupid "preachy" nature of the show. When I watch a comedy show, I want to get a good laugh, not get a ham-fisted attempt at shoving somebody's beliefs down my throat. They're not even good arguments anyway. Anybody who knows anything about apologetics can defeat every single one, with most of them simply being strawman or ad hominem attacks, but I don't think they can be considered ad hominem because they're directed towards strawmen.

I also hate the way they deal with controversial subjects. I saw an interview/ developer diary with some of the Family Guy producers and they literally treat controversial subjects in the same light as "We mentioned AIDS and 9/11 in the same sentence. We're cool!"
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Callisto
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Callisto »

Dudeacus97 wrote:
narnia4 wrote:I don't like South Park, but I guess you could say I "appreciate" that they are one of the very, very few truly equal opportunity comedies that makes fun of absolutely everybody. Family Guy is ridiculously hypocritical and "preachy".

I stopped watching Family Guy because of the stupid "preachy" nature of the show. When I watch a comedy show, I want to get a good laugh, not get a ham-fisted attempt at shoving somebody's beliefs down my throat. They're not even good arguments anyway. Anybody who knows anything about apologetics can defeat every single one, with most of them simply being strawman or ad hominem attacks, but I don't think they can be considered ad hominem because they're directed towards strawmen.

I also hate the way they deal with controversial subjects. I saw an interview/ developer diary with some of the Family Guy producers and they literally treat controversial subjects in the same light as "We mentioned AIDS and 9/11 in the same sentence. We're cool!"
I stopped watching it very soon after it first aired, actually. Glad I did because it was not only insulting but... stupid.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

South park is more funny anyway :ewink:
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Murray wrote:South park is more funny anyway :ewink:
So true!
-Dinesh D'Souza

-John Lennox
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Don't worry, nothing will come of this. Christians will just yawn.

Imagine if Muhammad was being insulted? I can hear the rocks flying, the glass shattering; I can smell the buildings burning, I can sense the panic as you barricade your home against the rioters...for such is the way of the world.

FL
How prophetic!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that Christians have realized WHY people make movies / "art" controversial - free publicity.
The more you ignore the stupid and untalented, the less press they get.
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by cheezerrox »

Rob wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Don't worry, nothing will come of this. Christians will just yawn.

FL
How prophetic!
Very, very true. Good observation. Let's make sure to offer our prayers for those in harm's way.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel