I want to start my own apologetics website. Thoughts?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Framework

I want to start my own apologetics website. Thoughts?

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Hi everyone. Lately I've felt compelled to make my own Christian apologetics website. I wanted to run the theme by people here to see what they think.

I'm really interested in the law. I recently graduated law school and I'm about to sit for the bar exam, so I wanted to theme my website around a trial or a legal proceeding.

I want to start with the standard of proof. Different circumstances require different standards of proof. For example, at a criminal trial, the accused has to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. In a civil trial (for example, a slip and fall case) you only need to say that the defendant is liable by a preponderance of the evidence, which basically means "more likely than not." The first standard is obviously harder to meet, since a criminal trial is a more serious matter than a civil trial. My argument is going to be that the level of proof you require will have an impact on what kind of proof you'll except.

Many atheists I've met say something like this: "When God comes down out of the sky and tells me that he exists and then performs a miracle to prove it, I'll believe." Now, that's an incredibly high standard of proof, but what they're getting at is that they want God's existence to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. My argument is that God's existence can be proven to this standard in a more indirect manner.

Then I want to go over evidence that points to the veracity of the Bible and Christian teachings. Atheists often deride the Bible as a product of "barely literate 1st century farmers", so I will adopt that premise as the opposing side. Every trial has a theory of the case, and I will use that for the defense's side of the case.

The question is, at the end of the trial (e.g. when you're done reading the articles), are you convinced that Christianity is a divinely inspired religion, or are you convinced that it was just a product of 1st century barely literate farmers?

I intend to present evidence that shows that the Bible has a wisdom beyond the knowledge of simple farmers and peasants. I will point to prophecies that came to be and scientifically correct passages of the Bible as evidence that the writers of the Bible were certainly not ignorant peasants. Obviously, just one could be a fluke, but I want to show that the large number of correct prophetical and scientific statements do not fit with the theory that the Bible was written by people who were not divinely inspired.

I want to talk a little bit about circumstantial evidence as well. For example, if Jesus did not commit these very public miracles, then how could he get thousands and thousands of people to follow him? Successful cult leaders like L. Ron Hubbard claim extraordinary accomplishments, but these were not done in the public eye to hide their veracity. But in the case of Jesus, his miracles were very public and well-known. This makes them easily disproven. I also intend to talk about how the critics of his day attributed his actions to sorcery. They could have easily denied him as a fabricator, but they could not since his actions were so public and well-known.

Finally, I want to rebut evidence that suggests the Bible is scientifically incorrect.

At the end, I'm going to ask readers to consider what they've heard and then decide which side of the argument they believe.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me on this?

Thank you. :)
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: I want to start my own apologetics website. Thoughts?

Post by Beanybag »

I'd to see this, if you're up for all that work.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Many atheists I've met say something like this: "When God comes down out of the sky and tells me that he exists and then performs a miracle to prove it, I'll believe." Now, that's an incredibly high standard of proof, but what they're getting at is that they want God's existence to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. My argument is that God's existence can be proven to this standard in a more indirect manner.
That is probably THE biggest fallacy that they say.
First off, no skpetic, muchless atheist, takes personal revelation as evidence, much less proof, wo why would they do it then?
Second, many saw what Christ did and they did NOT believe, so there is no reason for a believer to believe that when a skeptic says that, he means it.
Third, having debated with skeptics and THIS very thing have been brought up, ALL has said that they would most probably think "mental issue" with themselves BEFORE they would believe what they are seeing.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I wanted to do something similar. I've written two extensive apologetic volumes (over about 6 years), but have not finished either. I keep adding to them and finding new things I want to add. And I love to edit, reorganize ("to infinity and beyond!") One is devoted to inerrancy issues, how we received the Gospel, is it the Word of God, etc. The other is aimed at those who do not believe, providing a huge variety of information from Scripture, science, history, archaeology, etc. It's really cool to just have these volumes for myself - great to be able to print out portions and give people.

But I became discouraged and uncertain of the need, because: 1) There are ALREADY so many excellent resources easily available; 2) It seems few will really take the time to sift through the evidences and seriously consider them. Only dead serious thinkers seem to seek out apologetics stuff (perhaps a bit of an exaggeration). My background is that I am a writer/editor/designer, etc. I have a journalism degree. So my niche plan was to take the best of the best from a variety of top apologetic sources and to boil them down so that they are conversational and easy to read, reasonably short and concise, well organized per subject, and logically per typical questions/misconceptions. My volumes also have lists of resources, books, websites, etc.

It just became this huge project that I've worked years on but am unsure what to do with them. Plus I need to get it all in a better layout/graphics software/format that is much easier to edit. But I also feel a bit weird about how it might be received - as in "what qualifies YOU to write such a volumous work." Or in giving copies to some, it can be overwhelming - it may seem like fanatic overkill. I certainly don't want to get people to "drink" in what they need to hear through a "fire hose." And I guess that is why I love websites, as one can just go to precisely what questions/answers they are interested in. But again, there are already such a huge number of resources available. It may turn out to be more of a resource for my children, or their children. Who knows? But I've totally enjoyed writing them, and have learned a ton while doing it. The cool thing about apologetics is that you are always learning and discovering stuff you didn't already know about.
Last edited by Philip on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Philip wrote:I wanted to do something similar. I've written two extensive apologetic volumes (over about 6 years), but have not finished either. I keep adding to them and finding new things I want to add. And I love to edit, reorganize ("to infinity and beyond!") One is devoted to inerrancy issues, how we received the Gospel, is it the Word of God, etc. The other is aimed at those who do not believe, providing a huge variety of information from Scripture, science, history, archaeology, etc. It's really cool to just have these volumes for myself - great to be able to print out portions and give people.

But I became discouraged and uncertain of the need, because: 1) There are ALREADY so many excellent resources easily available; 2) It seems few will really take the time to sift through the evidences and serious consider them. Only the dead serious persons seem to seek out apologetics stuff (perhaps a bit of an exaggeration). My background is that I am a writer/editor/designer, etc. I have a journalism degree. So my niche plan was to take the best of the best from a variety of top apologetic sources and writer, but to boil them down so that they are conversational and easy to read, reasonably short and concise, well organized per subject and logically per typical questions/misconceptions. My volumes also have lists of resources, books, websites, etc.

It just became this huge project that I've years on but am unsure what to do with it. Plus I need to get it all in a better layout/graphics software/format that is much easier to edit. But I also feel a bit weird about how it might be received - as in "what qualifies YOU to write such a volumous work." Or in giving copies to some, it can be overwhelming - seem like fanatic overkill. I certainly don't want to get people to "drink" in what they need to hear through a "fire hose." And I guess that is why I love websites, as one can just go to what they are interested in. But again, there are already such a huge number of resources available. It may turn out to be more of a resource for my children, or their children. Who knows? But I've totally enjoyed writing it, and have learned a ton while doing so. The cool thing about apologetics is that you are always learning and discovering stuff you didn't already know about.
I agree with you in that apologetics may sometimes be overkill, but as long as it helps one person, it's worth all the work.

If you'd like, I'm sure I could set aside some website space for you when I do this.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks, Lux - who knows, I may have something to contribute.

Few thoughts on you building a site:

At this point, there are so many good apologetics materials out there that what I see the greatest value in is pointing people in the right direction, to the right resource, to good answers from quality sources. When I started my volumes, they actually began as a booklist - back when the web was just getting started. One thing a good apologetics website should always do is to encourage questions that will be responded to and have lists of questions linked to articles answering them. We just don't need to re-invent the wheel, certainly where the works of others are quite excellent. But I do find great value in condensing the information of others. Especially for those under 35-40, they are just not going to dig through enormous amounts of info to get to the answers they seek. Although I find this quite disturbing, it is, however, a fact one must consider.

I've become acutely aware that there is a generation - and YOU can define its age brackets - that I call the "ADD Generation." They are the constant texters, short attention span types, relentlessly and simultaneously engaging various electronics, computers and other constant distractions. Many of this "generation" typically just don't have the focus needed for in-depth analysis. They want information spoon fed to them: They want to input quick questions and to receive instant answers. You've got to make your points quickly with most of them. Any effective apologetics website needs to be cognizant of this. Long, wordy articles just won't reach this demographic. Make it easy for them!
Last edited by Philip on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lux Aeterna
Acquainted Member

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Haha, I agree.

My strategy would be to present a less detailed but more high-impact website. There are many places that pour over every detail. Instead, this is meant to distill some of the most relevant arguments so that it will grab and retain the attention of casual surfers. I'm hoping the unusual theme combined with some strong, relatively simple arguments will be enough to make it accessible to most people.

Of course, I plan on providing citations for everything... I just imagine a website that's very streamlined and geared toward people who might be investigating Christianity but hasn't put in the commitment to read everything in detail yet.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Lux, and another good idea would be to have key landing pages, each with a header of some type of provocative question - that is intuitively phrased as people surfing for its answer would likely search by (example: "What evidence is there that God exists?").

I would also keep in mind that apologetics are not just for unbelievers, but that they can greatly benefit growing the faith of believers as well (especially in areas like prophecy fulfillment or inerrancy issues).

Also, VERY key, you need to make sure someone competent in website optimization techniques is involved in your site.

In case you missed it, here's a link from a previous post of mine which stresses the importance of practicing apologetics: http://normangeisler.com/articles/apolo ... getics.htm
Callisto
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Callisto »

I sometimes go to a website called pleaseconvinceme.com - it's evidence-based and the person running it is a cold-case homicide detective (policeman). I'm friends with him on Facebook (his name is Jim Wallace or sometimes J. Warner Wallace, and he was an atheist for the first 35 years of his life, so he knows all the old arguments and objections). It might be something you can get ideas from if you're sure you want to have your own website.
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

What I would do, also, is perhaps put a quote from a major atheist/other skeptic on the very issue, then at the end have a quote supporting Christianity.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox