Revelation

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Revelation

Post by 1over137 »

So, he started to be vanityful. (Is this a word?)
FL wrote: I'm not sure what you mean. You'll have to re-word your question.
You said before, that he went astray. To go astray means to get lost. So, he got lost?
FL wrote: It is never wise to do something wrong.
Was going astray wrong? If yes, then it was not wise. How then can creature "full of wisdom" do something unwise?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:So, he started to be vanityful. (Is this a word?)
He started to be vain. Vanity ,(''the vain are full of vanity'',) vanity is rooted in pride and is a danger for anyone who has more of something than other people: more money, more education, more intelligence, more possessions, more power, more beauty, a better husband/wife, a better job, a better car, a bigger home, a bigger swimming pool, a bigger portfolio...and so on. Think about this, 1/137. Each one of us has more of something than someone else, so each one of us is a possible victim of pride. In this light, re-read the story of the encounter between Jesus and the rich young man (Mark 10:17-31) and put your riches in the place of the young man's.

Getting back to Satan, he let his beauty, his adornment and his power corrupt his spirit. So, he started to be vain.
1over137 wrote:Was going astray wrong? If yes, then it was not wise. How then can creature "full of wisdom" do something unwise?
I can be full of Godly wisdom but still choose to do something wrong for my personal gain. In other words, I know what is right but I choose what is wrong. Again, this choice is based in vanity/pride and has as a goal to build myself up at the cost of someone else, e.g. a theif knows it is wrong to steal - he has that ''wisdom'' - but he steals anyway.

That's it for now. I'm leaving for the weekend but I'll be back on Monday. It was nice talking with you!

FL

EDIT: the word ''astray'' means getting off the correct path. This could be going astray geographically, socially, spiritually and so on.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Yeah, we were gifted for some purpose, reason and not to be vain.

Joy from speaking with you, on my side, FL.

Enjoy the weekend, I'll continue later on.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Since FL answered my questions, I'd like to return to the following:

neo-x:
You say that we inherited the sin. But how have we inherited it? It's not in our DNA, it's not physical entity that everyone is born with. You say that we lack of God's nature of being pure, that we are born without being pure. How come that we are born imperfect?

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:Since FL answered my questions, I'd like to return to the following:

neo-x:
You say that we inherited the sin. But how have we inherited it? It's not in our DNA, it's not physical entity that everyone is born with. You say that we lack of God's nature of being pure, that we are born without being pure. How come that we are born imperfect?
Since I believe in the doctrine of original sin I would say we most certainly have inherited not only sin, but its wages as well, i.e. death.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

neo-x:
I already explained this I think, but anyway, sin literally means "missing the mark or goal", in the context of original sin, man kind have sinned and have lost the glory which was once given to them when they were created by God. I do not think sin is a dynamic entity/personality/object in itself. I would see sin as a "lack of virtue/perfection". In this sense, I do not think there is sinning gene in our DNA. But our spiritually awaken state (not only in the spirit but in our physical bodies) which Adam and Eve once had, was lost due to the disobedience and therefore we have spiritually inherited that spiritual imperfection. It is important to note that God himself had told them of the death (spiritual) should they eat from the tree. So naturally when they ate, their spiritual pureness was lost. And because of that loss, Adam and Eve were no longer pure, they were sinners.

You have to understand that when I say spiritual with regards to Adam and Eve, I mean a complete person (spirit + body). Adam and Eve were like us in physical shape but they were also made in the likeness of God which was also represented by their spiritual state. It is hard to put down in words, but imagine them as human gods or more than humans. What I am trying to say is that they were all human but they had something extra which was gone when they sinned and so therefore while sin is not something our DNA would carry, the lack of that pureness was apparent when they begot children as they were born complete humans (so no DNA problems there but that extra thing was missing) and they did not have that pureness which Adam and Eve had.

Perhaps one could argue that had they not sinned, their children would have been born just like their parents (God-like), and we may even argue that that God-like pureness once was a part of our DNA, but I do not think the argument will be conclusive.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Neo: Could not be the following possible?
Adam and Eve were perfect. But they sinned and lost perfection. They teach their children to their image except the thing connected with their sinning, that is, disobeying God. Because, I think that they learned their lesson and learned to obey God. Could not their children be perfect?

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

hana, how could they?

what god had given them at their creation was unique and coukd not be obtained through works. so it was never in their own hands, they could not undo sin. no one can, for the price of sin is death, so being god like is not something any human could just wish and be ir achieve it by hard work, god alone can do it and that is why he sent jesus christ to redeem mankind.

adam and eve did realize their mistake and most probably taught their children to obey god as well, but effort alone cud not undo the fallen state. satan had told them that they will kbow the difference between good and evil, what he never tild them was , by sinning they will never be good enough to meet god's standard of good.

sorry for the formatting, im writing from my phone.

P.S : I am on a vacation for the next week, so I might not be able to respond till then but will do as soon as I am back. Take care
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com