Is this even right?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Protestant
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Is this even right?

Post by Protestant »

So the other day I said that I believed in God and I was asked to prove that point. And another Christian was around too who said "I don't know that I'm right I just think that I'm right", and they implied that I need to prove my point to say that. Although they seem to be correct I don't know if they actually are, it seems like they're trying to flip the question because then it implies that I should believe in God as if it's a flip of the coin.

What should I respond with?
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is this even right?

Post by Beanybag »

You're not trying to prove anything to anyone from the sounds of it. You let them have their beliefs they let you have yours.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Well I think you should tell them that your mother told you that you should always tell people nice things and to be polite when people ask you such things so as to make friends and know how to get along in life so as to have a happy disposition and make those around you eager to be with you and to be able to go to the corner store and be polite even with rude clerks because you never know when someone will need a shoulder to cry on and rudeness often hides a bruised soul so if you're nice and polite and gentle people will always want to be around you and have nice things to say about you even if they are not generally nice.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Protestant, you, don't need, to . Prove anything,to anyone.

I'm using, extra. periods and commas, to make, up. for FL, not using any.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

RickD wrote:Protestant, you, don't need, to . Prove anything,to anyone.

But how should I respond if I was asked this. What really killed me was a fellow "Christian" was there and said "Well I don't know that I'm right I just think so." but considering, he believes Big Bang Theory, Evolution, and the belief that the Bible isn't 100% correct I'm not too surprised.
Beanybag
Valued Member

Post by Beanybag »

I don't think I understand what you're saying. Can you explain?
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

Beanybag wrote:I don't think I understand what you're saying. Can you explain?
Okay I said that I believe in God and I know that I'm right, and another man asserted that unless I can back up my claim with facts that I cannot say that.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Protestant wrote:
Beanybag wrote:I don't think I understand what you're saying. Can you explain?
Okay I said that I believe in God and I know that I'm right, and another man asserted that unless I can back up my claim with facts that I cannot say that.
That is just silly.
There are many things we claim to KNOW based on experience and not facts, love for example.
There are any things we take on faith based on faith in things we trust - the Earth being round and orbiting the sun for example.
We don't KNOW any of those things in a way that WE can prove with facts per say ( unless I take you into space and you see the Earth and Sun, you don't know for a fact but we trust based on experience in trusting science).
If a person has a personal knowledge of God then NO ONE can say otherwise.
I can say I know Bob Jones and that Bob is 6Ft tall and blond hair and weights 185 lbs, BUT unless you see Bob and measure Him and Weight Him, those things are NOT facts and of course, if Bob dies before you have seen him, then there was no proof ( for you) that he even existed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Protestant wrote:

But how should I respond if I was asked this. What really killed me was a fellow "Christian" was there and said "Well I don't know that I'm right I just think so." but considering, he believes Big Bang Theory, Evolution, and the belief that the Bible isn't 100% correct I'm not too surprised.
Well then, you probably don't want my answers then. I'm a Christian, I believe the big bang happened, certain kinds of evolution are real, and I believe only the original biblical texts are inerrant.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

RickD wrote:
Protestant wrote:

Well then, you probably don't want my answers then. I'm a Christian, I believe the big bang happened, certain kinds of evolution are real, and I believe only the original biblical texts are inerrant.
No, he believes that the entire Old Testament is almost purely subjective. He believes in Darwinian Evolution, no logical thinker would deny that some forms of Evolution are true but I personally don't agree with that form. And as for Big Bang Theory, I don't have any personal vendetta against anyone that does believe it I just happen to disagree with it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Protestant wrote:
RickD wrote:
Protestant wrote:

No, he believes that the entire Old Testament is almost purely subjective. He believes in Darwinian Evolution, no logical thinker would deny that some forms of Evolution are true but I personally don't agree with that form. And as for Big Bang Theory, I don't have any personal vendetta against anyone that does believe it I just happen to disagree with it.
I find some of this difficult to believe. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Darwinian Evolution says that life came about by purely natural means. Not supernatural(God). I have a hard time believing a Christian pastor wouldn't believe "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". That's the first verse of the bible.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

It's more likely that your pastor believes in theistic evolution, and you're confusing that with Darwinian evolution. While I don't personally believe in theistic evolution, there's nothing necessarily unbiblical about it.

-Edward R Murrow

Beanybag
Valued Member

Post by Beanybag »

RickD wrote:I find some of this difficult to believe. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Darwinian Evolution says that life came about by purely natural means. Not supernatural(God). I have a hard time believing a Christian pastor wouldn't believe "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". That's the first verse of the bible.
Darwinian Evolution says that every living being evolved from a common ancestor, or a first living organism. It does not say anything as to where this organism came from.
Protestant
Acquainted Member

Post by Protestant »

RickD wrote:
Protestant wrote:
RickD wrote:
Protestant wrote:

I find some of this difficult to believe. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Darwinian Evolution says that life came about by purely natural means. Not supernatural(God). I have a hard time believing a Christian pastor wouldn't believe "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". That's the first verse of the bible.
There's a huge problem here and I did not communicate it right. My friend is a Darwinian Evolutionist not my pastor, sorry.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Beanybag wrote:
RickD wrote:I find some of this difficult to believe. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Darwinian Evolution says that life came about by purely natural means. Not supernatural(God). I have a hard time believing a Christian pastor wouldn't believe "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". That's the first verse of the bible.
Darwinian Evolution says that every living being evolved from a common ancestor, or a first living organism. It does not say anything as to where this organism came from.
Darwins book the Origin of Species doesn't specify where the initial ancestor of all living things came from, but that may be because of the prominent " anti anti-theism" sentiment of Darwins day. Anyone who does his research, will clearly see that Darwin was a materialist.

-Edward R Murrow