William Lane Craig podcast about Christian/atheist stats

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

William Lane Craig podcast about Christian/atheist stats

Post by DRDS »

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/is-athei ... -of-theism

Don't let the title fool you though. It's mostly positive, or at least for me, I found it mostly positive, but not so much positive for places such as the UK.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: William Lane Craig podcast about Christian/atheist stats

Post by Ivellious »

I'd like to see the information about the stats, how the poll was done, etc. I'm not necessarily doubting the trends, but it seems somewhat low to say that only 2.5 % of the US is non-theistic. Perhaps in Texas or Florida, but much of the US is less religious. Age ranges could impact this as well depending on who was polled.

I also found it interesting that Craig is extremely happy about "theism" being on the rise without pointing out that many of the increases in theism are likely more Muslim than Christian movement, especially in Europe. I doubt that would make him all that happy.
Stygian
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Stygian »

For everyone who doesn't feel like looking up the statistics themselves: http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/ ... of-theism/
Ivellious wrote:I also found it interesting that Craig is extremely happy about "theism" being on the rise without pointing out that many of the increases in theism are likely more Muslim than Christian movement, especially in Europe. I doubt that would make him all that happy.
And personally, I think WLC's apparent joy for the increase of theism comes from the fact that it's a 'stepping stone' of sorts to philosophical and logical understanding regarding God, and (bad analogy time!) maybe a bit like how a libertarian might enjoy more people are rejecting communism, even though it might be in favor of becoming a republican, a democrat, an anarchist, and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

DRDS wrote:http://www.reasonablefaith.org/is-athei ... -of-theism

Don't let the title fool you though. It's mostly positive, or at least for me, I found it mostly positive, but not so much positive for places such as the UK.
Sounds about right though, those stats I mean.
Of course for some reason they left out some heavily populated areas like Brasil and China, not to mention Africa.