Romans 5:18-21

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Romans 5:18-21

Post by 1over137 »

Romans 5:18-21:
"18Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. 19For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. 20Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

You can also look at http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInte ... f/rom5.pdf.

What those verses say to you? What does the expression 'made sinners' mean?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Re: Romans 5:18-21

Post by 1over137 »

20 views and still nothing

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hana, I think overall, this is a good commentary on Romans 5. While there are bits of it I don't agree with, the overall commentary is pretty good.
http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/romans/romans5.htm
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

So, made = were constituted. May be.
There is one thing I do not understand. How come that Adam's children were dead in sin, with heart which was evil? See Gen 6:5.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:So, made = were constituted. May be.
There is one thing I do not understand. How come that Adam's children were dead in sin, with heart which was evil? See Gen 6:5.
At that time, man had hardened his heart against God so much that every thought was evil. It was Adam's descendents, not his children, as in those directly born of Eve.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I have a great word study on Romans that breaks it down v. by verse. When I have time I'll post. We need to make sure we read the word "made" correctly.
The word gives the idea of conveyance. Take the example of chattel slavery. Black people in America are free today. The freedom given to their forefathers is conveyed.
Basically a lot has been discussed over the last 2,000 years about the sin nature of man.
There are really only two options for a person.
1) In Adam. This is inherited, and I would say biologically true. We all inherit from Adam, in this case the fact that we are sinners. We aren't good people who sin, but we sin because we are sinners. That doesn't mean we aren't culpable. The human, by nature, knows good and evil, another inherited trait.
2) In Christ. Sin problem solved, and person stands righteous before God. Period, end of story.

I'm in an in-depth study of Romans now, and we need to understand that Romans is building a case and answering objections as the text moves along. I have found the Middletown site to be very good as well, from past experience.

It is true that without God's help no one would be saved. Any Christian who denies that is a Pelagian, which is aberrant. It makes a mockery of the cross of Christ. If anyone could be saved apart from God's work, then the cross is just a sick joke.

The one act of condemnation: Disobedience in the Garden. Made sinners.
The one act of obedience: The cross of Christ. Made sinners.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
At that time, man had hardened his heart against God so much that every thought was evil. It was Adam's descendents, not his children, as in those directly born of Eve.
So, also Adam has hardened his heart that much? At the beginning he was made perfect. Then he sinned and then he hardened his heart.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:
So, also Adam has hardened his heart that much? At the beginning he was made perfect. Then he sinned and then he hardened his heart.
Hana, what do you mean when you say Adam was made "perfect"? Adam was certainly sinless, but remember, he needed the tree of life to live forever. He was made of the same flesh we have. Flesh that decays over time. Just like everything else in this physical universe.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:Hana, what do you mean when you say Adam was made "perfect"? Adam was certainly sinless, but remember, he needed the tree of life to live forever. He was made of the same flesh we have. Flesh that decays over time. Just like everything else in this physical universe.
I think I saw it somewhere written in the Bible. Cannot find it. Nevermind. I meant, he was good and so.
I am not talking about the flesh decay, but about the change in the heart. He obeyed God and so, and then he sinned. And from that time on, has he hardened hhis heart that much?

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

jlay wrote:It is true that without God's help no one would be saved. Any Christian who denies that is a Pelagian, which is aberrant. It makes a mockery of the cross of Christ. If anyone could be saved apart from God's work, then the cross is just a sick joke.
What about Noah? See Gen 6:9.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
jlay wrote:It is true that without God's help no one would be saved. Any Christian who denies that is a Pelagian, which is aberrant. It makes a mockery of the cross of Christ. If anyone could be saved apart from God's work, then the cross is just a sick joke.
It wasn't anything that NOAH did that made him righteous, it was GOD that viewed Noah as righteous.
That is the point of the Cross, that what makes us righteous is what God has done/does for Us, not what we do.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Hana,
Noah walked with who?

"By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith."
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:So, also Adam has hardened his heart that much? At the beginning he was made perfect. Then he sinned and then he hardened his heart.
I agree with the middle sentence in boldface but have reservations about the other two. I'll deal only with the middle sentence tonight:

The Bible doesn't specifically say that Adam was made perfect - like Lucifer - but Adam's perfection can certainly be inferred from the text. Adam, like Lucifer, represent God's highest creations in their respective realms. That they were created perfect and yet went against God's will. In Adam's case, he was created intelligent, immortal, had the Spirit of God within him, and he walked and talked with God face-to-face. (This brief description is remarkably similar to what the Eternal State will be like.) The only motivation for Adam's sin is a freewill choice on his part to go against God's will.

Since this subject seems to interest you, I suggest you get yourself a copy of Augustine's City of God. Adam's original sin and its imputation to all his descendents is masterfully explained by Augustine. Here are my suggestions:

City of God, Book XII, Chapter 21, dealing with the imputation of sin to all of Adam's descendents.
City of God, Book XXI, Chapter 12, dealing with the nature of the original sin and explaining why eternal punishment is due to all who are not covered by the Savior's grace.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:
It wasn't anything that NOAH did that made him righteous, it was GOD that viewed Noah as righteous.
That is the point of the Cross, that what makes us righteous is what God has done/does for Us, not what we do.
I think he was viewed rigtheous because he was faithful.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

jlay wrote:Hana,
Noah walked with who?

"By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith."
Noah walked with God. Yes, he had faith. The point?

#foreverinmyheart