Only 2 daughters in 70 souls?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: Only 2 daughters in 70 souls?

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Hannah had for example soul
Appropriate, isn't it? ;)
And today is my nameday. :)
Lol, I think very few cultures understand what that means so congrats!. Is it because it is a saint's name Hana?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

In Gen 35:18; 2Kings 4:27; 1Sa 1:15; there is Hebrew word napsah. Is that a word for soul? Or from Gen 2:7 is nismat the right word? My atheist friend says that napsah can be translated as herself. And he also claims that if I want to look what is really in OT I should look at Torah.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:In Gen 35:18; 2Kings 4:27; 1Sa 1:15; there is Hebrew word napsah. Is that a word for soul? Or from Gen 2:7 is nismat the right word? My atheist friend says that napsah can be translated as herself. And he also claims that if I want to look what is really in OT I should look at Torah.
The Torah IS the OT, it's the first 5 books.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Nephesh is the word for soul. There is no other. That's why I said earlier your friend needs to explain his position before he asks people to critique his so-called argument. And the word in Gen 2:7 is not nishmat. That one means "breathed." The last phrase, "And the man became a living soul," uses nephesh.

As far as arguing against 1 Sam. since it doesn't come from the Torah, he's just moving the goalposts (ANOTHER problem in his argument. That's what . . . four or five logical fallacies now?). On what basis would he assert that the author of Samuel has a different theology than the author of the Torah?

But if you are going to keep playing his game, then refer him to the passages in Genesis and Numbers I referred to earlier.

Lastly, yes, nephesh can refer to the self. It is a figure of speech called a metonymy, in which you refer to the whole by pointing to a part. For instance, in English we have a saying, "All hands on deck!" The captain certainly wants more than the sailors' hands on the deck. Or my father used to say, "Get your butt in here!" He wanted more than just my posterior present! So when the OT uses nephesh to refer to the self, that is because that there is a part of the person called a nephesh (a soul) that can be used to refer to the entire person.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

To echo what other have said:
The Torah is the Pentateuch - the first 5 books of the OT, the ones "authored" by Moses ( traditonally).
And the hebrew word nephesh means soul or life or creature:

http://www.logosapostolic.org/hebrew_wo ... soul_1.htm
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

All: do you know of some passage from OT from which it follows that women have soul?
Not from the OT, but I could argue that Aretha Franklin definitely has soul. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Do you know of some website where on can search words in Torah?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:Do you know of some website where on can search words in Torah?
The one I posted is one and so is the blueletterbible website.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Blueletterbible is awesome. I use it all the time. Hana, when you use it, click the C button beside any verse and you'll see the Greek or Hebrew (cool bonus: if it's an OT passage, it'll give you the Hebrew AND the LXX!) words behind each of the verses.

I'd also strongly suggest downloading e-sword. You can do a lot there, too.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Jac3510 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Blueletterbible is awesome. I use it all the time. Hana, when you use it, click the C button beside any verse and you'll see the Greek or Hebrew (cool bonus: if it's an OT passage, it'll give you the Hebrew AND the LXX!) words behind each of the verses.

I'd also strongly suggest downloading e-sword. You can do a lot there, too.
I use it too, it is one of the better sites for comparing versions, translations and to see the "interlinear" of the verses and see how the different translations decided to go with one definition of a word over another.

A great example is Genesis 35:18 mentioned above.
The Hebrew word is soul but some translations decide to use "breath" and while that could be a correct translation, under the context of the verse, soul is by far, more correct (IMO).
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

My friend finally saw that Gen 35:18 implies that woman has soul.
He is now asking that what is soul according to the Bible.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:My friend finally saw that Gen 35:18 implies that woman has soul.
The word "soul" or the theological concept of "soul"?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:My friend finally saw that Gen 35:18 implies that woman has soul.
Better both. (According to the OT, or Torah)

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The word soul in the OT is from the hebrew word Nephesh, which means/is used to describe:

1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion

a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man

b) living being

c) living being (with life in the blood)

d) the man himself, self, person or individual

e) seat of the appetites

f) seat of emotions and passions

g) activity of mind

1) dubious

h) activity of the will

1) dubious

i) activity of the character

1) dubious

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 315&t=NASB
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:My friend finally saw that <a href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Gen%2035.18" class="lbsBibleRef" data-reference="Gen 35.18" data-version="nasb95" target="_blank">Gen 35:18</a> implies that woman has soul.
Better both. (According to the OT, or Torah)
Like all things theological, it depends on who you ask. The most important objective fact is that the word nephesh is not exclusively applied to human beings. Animals are also said to have nepheshim (souls). See Gen 1:20, for instance. The OT view of the soul is best summed up, in my opinion, as the animating principle of the body. If a thing is alive, it is alive because it has a soul. From there you can branch out into some broader studies of the OT view of life, both spiritual and physical. Something's life is closely associated with its breath (look up the word for spirit or wind--ruach) as well as with the blood. For this reason, animals were not considered alive--at least not in the same sense that animals, including humans, are.

Check out this book (you can read the important part online here). Starting on page 27 is a discussion on OT exegesis and the words nephesh and ruach. Good stuff.