Olympic weirdness

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Olympic weirdness

Post by Gman »

I always find it interesting when watching the Olympics how much money goes into the production... All the props and all...

Imagine giving such a show in honor of the creator of the Universe? But no... Man takes the spotlight instead.. All "his" achievements. I find it all rather selfish in a way. y[-(

Oh and then there is this goofy spook with all his demon buddies running around.. Oh yes, give him credit too... :roll:

Coool...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Olympic weirdness

Post by Kenzel »

Is that a giant Voldemort?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Olympics

Post by Ivellious »

Well, it's not like the leaders of the Christian world are hurting for cash...if they wanted to create a giant presentation for God, I'm certain they could pull it off.

While I don't necessarily agree with the amount of money put into these opening ceremonies, I have no problem with celebrating the spirit of the Olympics. Unifying the world in the spirit of competition is something to celebrate, in my opinion.
Gman
Old School

Re: Olympics

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:While I don't necessarily agree with the amount of money put into these opening ceremonies, I have no problem with celebrating the spirit of the Olympics. Unifying the world in the spirit of competition is something to celebrate, in my opinion.
It's more Greek thinking than anything... The center of their ancient cities were usually situated around the stadiums where entertainment in physical sports were worshiped along with their gods..

Hebrew thinking is much different where the synagogue became the center of the village and where people would come together..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Kenzel wrote:Is that a giant Voldemort?
Yes, I believe so.. Him and his buddies...

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Yeah, so the Greeks invented the Olympics...Is that a problem? Is every brainchild of a pagan or non-Christian faith some kind of blasphemy? And despite them taking the name of the ancient Olympics, today's Olympics have really nothing in common with the ancient Greeks aside from the core idea of great athletes competing.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:Yeah, so the Greeks invented the Olympics...Is that a problem?
It's just a different mindset.. Greek thinking was always centered around the power and mystique of the body. A type of holiness. Whereas the Hebrew mindset was usually the spirit within created in the image of G-d.
Ivellious wrote:Is every brainchild of a pagan or non-Christian faith some kind of blasphemy?
The question to me is where is G-d in all this?
Ivellious wrote:And despite them taking the name of the ancient Olympics, today's Olympics have really nothing in common with the ancient Greeks aside from the core idea of great athletes competing.
I really don't see anything that different from then from today's Olympics. Sure you could argue that they are not worshiping any deities per say, but it still would boil down to the worship of self and self achievements. The worship of the creation over the creator. It's really just the same old stuff repackaged...

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I really don't see anything that different from then from today's Olympics. Sure you could argue that they are not worshiping any deities per say, but it still would boil down to the worship of self and self achievements. The worship of the creation over the creator. It's really just the same old stuff repackaged...
G, this is a bit stretched. I mean would you like "G-d" represented at a cycling event? what would it matter? and why would it be even relevant?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Should all forms of competition, entertainment, socializing, etc. be eliminated if it does not explicitly relate to God? Or, if such things are allowed as long as they include God, how in the world would you have a Christian Olympics? I just don't see the point in bashing the origins of the Olympics. I mean, the whole point of today's Olympics are to bring together people of all faiths, backgrounds, and nationalities in a place void of political (or religious) conflict...why is that wrong?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:Should all forms of competition, entertainment, socializing, etc. be eliminated if it does not explicitly relate to God? Or, if such things are allowed as long as they include God, how in the world would you have a Christian Olympics?
All I'm saying it would be nice to see G-d get a little credit here. Like a prayer to G-d..
Ivellious wrote:I just don't see the point in bashing the origins of the Olympics. I mean, the whole point of today's Olympics are to bring together people of all faiths, backgrounds, and nationalities in a place void of political (or religious) conflict...why is that wrong?
Of course you don't see anything wrong with it... You have to look at it Biblically. When people get together and G-d is not part of it, silly things are going to happen like the Tower of Babel. Man's utopia will never work because the condition of man's heart is corrupt. Sure it's a great thought, but it will never work depart of G-d.

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Remind me again why the Tower of Babel was stopped by God?
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

And also, for the record, the Vatican had nothing but good things to say about the Olympics in their official newspaper, and in particular praised the opening ceremony...So clearly not even the Pope is bothered by this as much as you are.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

I believe some of the hymns sang by the children's choirs at the start were giving glory to God.
I didn't have a problem with the Voldemort thing. He's a famous children's bad guy of British origin and fit the theme. I didn't really think they honored him or honored evil or something. I mean, he got scared away by Mary Poppins for crying out loud!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

As Freud would say, sometimes a cigar is JUST a cigar.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Kenzel »

Rob wrote:I believe some of the hymns sang by the children's choirs at the start were giving glory to God.
I didn't have a problem with the Voldemort thing. He's a famous children's bad guy of British origin and fit the theme. I didn't really think they honored him or honored evil or something. I mean, he got scared away by Mary Poppins for crying out loud!
Voldemort vs Mary Poppins?! Ok, I gotta see this!!