Why no more miracles?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: Why no more miracles?

Post by MAGSolo »

I have to admit, I laughed out loud at that
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

The shroud has some pretty compelling evidence of a miracle.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Does it count as a miracle, when my son does his homework?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
amyjo5995
Acquainted Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by amyjo5995 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:The shroud has some pretty compelling evidence of a miracle.

Dan
Agreed! I been doing some reading on the shroud and find it fascinating!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Last night my virgin mary turned into a bloody mary. And I don't even have vodka in my house. This is a miracle.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Hey if Catholic miracles count I have proof of about 300,000 of them every day. :esurprised:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:I have to admit, I laughed out loud at that
Glad to hear it :)
Miracles are different things to different people of course.
The shroud of Turin that was mentioned is a fascinating thing that, depending on your view of what a miracle is, may be viewed as miraculous.
Personally, I have no knowledge of any miracles ( what is an act that defies scientific or logical explanation).
Does that mean they don't happen? perhaps even everyday?
Of course not, it just means I don't know of any.
tdybas2

Post by tdybas2 »

deleted on user's request
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

So what says everyone else? Are people being raised from the dead in the name Of Jesus, even in this day and age?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Why do you seek a miracle Mag?

Mark 8:12 (KJV) And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith,
Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you,
There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

And it was not given because of their unbelief.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

Because in my lifetime I have never seen anything occur that was outside of the physical laws of nature. So for me to believe that the supernatural events that repeatedly occurred in the bible are possible, I would like some proof that supernatural events can occur. Otherwise the supernatural events of the bible can be seen as nothing but fanciful, completely made up stories. I have never seen anything supernatural, so I have no reason to believe that it can occur or that it has ever occurred at any time in human history.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:Because in my lifetime I have never seen anything occur that was outside of the physical laws of nature. So for me to believe that the supernatural events that repeatedly occurred in the bible are possible, I would like some proof that supernatural events can occur. Otherwise the supernatural events of the bible can be seen as nothing but fanciful, completely made up stories. I have never seen anything supernatural, so I have no reason to believe that it can occur or that it has ever occurred at any time in human history.
Gotta be careful with that view dude, I have never seen you change your underwear ( or want to) but that doesn't mean you don't ( At least I hope, LOL).
Nature tells us that something can't come from nothing, correct?
So if something were to come from nothing, that would be supernatural, correct?
I give you the Big Bang.
Nature tells us that man and women have sex to procreate, correct?
If a woman was to get pregnant without SEX, that would be supernatural, correct?
I give you artificial insemination.

We must be careful when we choose to define "supernatural".
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

This is the problem with Christianity, and religion in general, in that it seems to be based around the notion that not knowing how something occurs seems to automatically equate to it being supernatural. You dont know how the universe appeared, so it must have been a supernatural event right? This is the same as ancient people saying that lightning and earthquakes were supernatural, because they didnt understand what caused them.

Nature does not tell us that men and woman have sex to procreated. Nature and science tell us that conception occurs when a womans egg is fertilized. Artificial insemination is a method of egg fertilization. That really was a rather poor example for you to use. Artificial insemination does not occur outside of the physical laws of nature so why would it be supernatural.
Last edited by MAGSolo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:This is the problem with Christianity in that not knowing how something occurs seems to automatically equate to supernatural. You dont know how the universe appeared, so it must have been a supernatural event right? This is the same as ancient people saying that lightning and earthquakes were supernatural, because they didnt understand what caused them.

Nature does not tell us that men and woman have sex to procreated. Nature and science tell us that conception occurs when a womans egg is fertilized. Artificial insemination is a method of egg fertilization. That really was a rather poor example for you to use. Artificial insemination does not occur outside of the physical laws of nature so why would it be supernatural.
Kind of missed the point dude.
What we may view as "supernatural" now, or even a miracle, may not be so in the future, just was what was viewed as a miracle 2000 years ago, may not be viewed as such today.

My point is careful how YOU define supernatural and miracle, that's all.
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

No, there is plenty of stuff in the bible that clearly violates basic physical principles.