God, Zeus, and Odin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: God, Zeus, and Odin

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ultimate777 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Are too many of you intentionally or unintentionally coming across as self-righteous?
Hi Pot, your looking very black today, said the Kettle.

I think if I were being self-righteous I would not acknowledge that you are a jerk, would I?

However, if this were not a family forum I would have pointed out at least one other thing you are instead, which you know even better than I.

Don't mess with me, Kettle. If you do, family forum or no family forum.........remember the kiddies.

I think your behaviour is very far from what Christ would like, people here try to help you and all you do is call them names.

I was sincere in my response of to read through revelation, but all you do is call me names.

I am baffled by your hateful outbursts.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by cheezerrox »

ultimate777 wrote:I think if I were being self-righteous I would not acknowledge that you are a jerk, would I?

However, if this were not a family forum I would have pointed out at least one other thing you are instead, which you know even better than I.

Don't mess with me, Kettle. If you do, family forum or no family forum.........remember the kiddies.
Ultimate, I literally have never seen you accept any answer on these forums without being belligerent. You've never been happy with anything anyone's ever said to you on here, and you always try to make it look like everyone's just out to get you or that everyone but you has some kind of problem with self-righteousness. You consistently act in an unkind, aggressive, and frankly immature way to all the members of this forum. I honestly find it hard to believe you consider yourself a Christian, and at times have called out the other members of this forum for being un-Christlike, when I've never seen you say one edifying or loving thing on these boards, and you constantly offer sarcastic and negative responses to people who try to give Biblical answers that you obviously just don't want to accept.
And I'm sure you'll say I'm being self-righteous and hypocritical too, and that you're being persecuted or something, but think for a moment what it means when almost every single person you've interacted with on these forums has pointed out that you're always hard to deal with and contentious.

Proverbs 17:10
"A rebuke goes deeper into one who has understanding
Than a hundred blows into a fool."
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ultimate777 wrote:
See my reply to narnia4, you could learn from it.

As for the word substain. Do you deny that you knew all the time I meant the word sustain and had mispelled it by one letter?
Ultimate, you made an original post, and as best I understood your point, I made my reply. You then went on a rant, accusing someone of being self-righteous. If you're not getting answers to your posts, can't you see it may be because your posts aren't written in a way that is easy to understand? You use words that aren't even words, and you even made a double post that I'm guessing, should have some quotes in it, because it makes no sense as it is written. And, since it is a double post, it's double the confusion of one of your posts. If you need help with putting the words of someone else inside quotes in your post, someone here can help you with that. It goes a lot smoother here if you don't assume the intentions of people. Sometimes people give answers as best they can with the way your question is worded.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

ultimate777 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 am

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Are too many of you intentionally or unintentionally coming across as self-righteous?

I think if I were being self-righteous I would not acknowledge that you are a jerk, would I?

Was this some funny you learned at home or school? Cause its pathetic at the pun you might have it intended for.
Obviously the experiment shows you did not understand me or chose to act as if you did not.
Which was it? I suspect the latter.
What makes you think you are so special that we'd single you out on the forum?
What about you?
No doubt the ways some of you express your indignation will prove my point better than my poor means to do so.
Oh, cut me and then accuse me of bleeding? wow! fantastic measures for proving your point. Its crap actually. Sorry had to say it.
If you must, proceed, you know you want to.
Whatever.
However, I would love to be PROVEN wrong about the character of most of you all who bother to respond.
What about your character? prove me wrong what I think about your character, then we'll see if you deserve the courtesy in return.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

Woaaah, let's keep in mind that there are Biblical principles in how to handle disputes with brothers in Christ, right?

ultimate777 wrote:
narnia4 wrote:Well there's lots of evidence that the Greek and Norse gods weren't real. Multiple metaphysical reasons, the fact that Greek and Norse gods were described as doing things that can pretty well be proven that they don't do.
I am having trouble understanding that. Can you give me more details?
Well we don't have a lot of positive evidence for Greek gods, no accounts that seem to be historically trustworthy or written with the intention of providing a reliable account. There are reasons that polytheism doesn't seem to be the best option, or at the very least you'd have to have a "God" and not just "gods". If you have a divinely simple perfect being its hard to see how there could be two or three or more. Not to mention if Christianity is true, then you can turn to Scripture which is, despite a little controversy, pretty clear about there being one God... and if Christianity is true you can rule out the subset option.

As far as what I meant about Greek gods not doing what they're supposed to, well the Greek gods did physical things and had different tasks. They lived on a mountain, for example, had children with humans. I think the "god of the gaps" argument is overrated and really strikes out when it comes to the Christian God, but it could apply pretty well to the Greek gods. What need is there to appeal to a god of thunder now?
But this doesn't seem to me to be a correct view of divine intervention. I think God intervenes all the time, particularly the Holy Spirit. God has provided Scripture and lays things on the hearts of both Christians and non-Christians and provides opportunity for non-believers to trust in Him.
I honestly think this has nothing to do with what I am trying to say.
If you have some specific Scripture in mind it might be easier if you lay it out there. Are you talking about Revelation?
No specific scripture. In case the End Times don't come for a long time, and please people, lets not get diverted into discussing that, I will even post another topic where we can discuss that in a minute, I think unless God does something drastic faith in him may fade away.

Will He do what the non-existent Greek and Norse gods could not do, prevent that by taking a hand in preventing it?
So you aren't talking about Revelation. But I don't understand how what I had to say above could have nothing to do with what you're saying. The reason being, I don't think God will let faith fade away. If you say "what if He does?" I would respond that its not in God's nature to twiddle his thumbs and wait and see what happens. That's why any thought experiment that begins with the implicit idea that God goes from being passive in this world to active is wrong from the get-go because our God is an active God! There's even arguments that its only through God that the world continues to exist at any moment.

The way you're talking it sounds more like a scenario with a deistic God who sets up the dominoes, sets off the first one, and watches them fall without interaction. But he sees faith fading and he has to decide whether to get involved again.

Finally, if you're thinking of the rise of skepticism in the modern age, I don't really know that its so different from other days. Things get worse in some ways, but its not so far gone that no righteous, upright men are to be found. Percentage wise things are looking up compared to almost two thousand years ago if you're talking about percentage/number of adherents!
Young, Restless, Reformed
Zionist
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Zionist »

ultimate777 wrote:
Zionist wrote:@ultimate
i believe daniel's answer is a very adequate answer to your question but i'll touch on it a bit more for you and i do suggest you read revelation more thoroughly along with matthew 24, 2nd thessalonians 2, 2nd timothy 3, 2nd peter 3 this is just to name a few but there are more in the NT and a lot in the OT as well and i will provide the rest if you need just let me know. all events leading to Christs return is the culmination of peoples unwillingness to come to God which ultimately leads to the events described in the book of revelations. Christ himself warned of people falling away from the faith as did paul. Matthew 24: 10-12 2Thessalonians 2:1-17. the events described are for people to turn from their ways but unfortunately we know from scripture that people are unwilling even til the end. even with all the signs, the prophecies and warnings that God has laid out for us many still will not turn to the faith and sadly many will fall away from it because of lawlessness abounding. all this leads to Christ coming and eventually to judgment. as you can see God has provided the answers for you in the scriptures it just takes a little time to read through and see. i hope this answers your questions...

Funny, I have recently been to several sermons on Revelation. Are you saying that it's going to be God's divine intevention when an inevitable falling away of the faith ensues?
no that is not what i am saying at all. did you read my post thoroughly? what i am saying is God provided the answers to your questions in scripture. im not saying people falling away is what makes God intervene what i am saying is that people falling away and other events described in revelation is the culmination of lawlessness abounding in the world and ultimately will not affect God's plan in any way. none the less God is always active and always revealing himself and there will always be a remnant even when it seems as though nobody believes remember Elijah? 1Kings 19:9-19. you see even if it seems lost or you're the only one left God has his people his remnant and always will even when we don't see it. as a believer we dont need to worry about such things when God has made it so clear for us. if we believe he will establish the kingdom on earth then why would we worry about something like that? simply put that is what i said
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

narnia4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 am

Woaaah, let's keep in mind that there are Biblical principles in how to handle disputes with brothers in Christ, right?
Narnia, if by that you meant my last post, then let me clarify that I am not questioning anything on any personal quarrel, but I believe everyone should get a chance of looking down their own collar, me included but that doesn't exempt anyone else to not do the same. Unfair call is what it is, an unfair call and I think Ultimate's response to Dan was totally uncalled for. Or else he perhaps didn't understand the meaning of what Dan wrote.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

neo-x wrote:
narnia4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 am

Narnia, if by that you meant my last post, then let me clarify that I am not questioning anything on any personal quarrel, but I believe everyone should get a chance of looking down their own collar, me included but that doesn't exempt anyone else to not do the same. Unfair call is what it is, an unfair call and I think Ultimate's response to Dan was totally uncalled for. Or else he perhaps didn't understand the meaning of what Dan wrote.
I was only thinking that things in general were getting a little testy.
Young, Restless, Reformed
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I think your behaviour is very far from what Christ would like, people here try to help you and all you do is call them names.

I was sincere in my response of to read through revelation, but all you do is call me names.

Dan

I'll try to explain. It takes very little thought to simply accuse someone of being the same thing they accuse others of being with snappy sayings. Seven year olds do it all the time. I sorrow that Christ seems so often to be represented by such lack of thinking and origionality.

If Christ is against my behavior then obviously I was wrong, but are you entitled to speak for Him?

And too much people here are being unhelpful and at times it is hard to believe it is not being done on purpose because my protests so often seem to be disregarded.

That is a very sore spot with me. Thus my outbursts.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
Ultimate777 wrote:
See my reply to narnia4, you could learn from it.

As for the word substain. Do you deny that you knew all the time I meant the word sustain and had mispelled it by one letter?
Ultimate, you made an original post, and as best I understood your point, I made my reply. You then went on a rant, accusing someone of being self-righteous. If you're not getting answers to your posts, can't you see it may be because your posts aren't written in a way that is easy to understand? You use words that aren't even words, and you even made a double post that I'm guessing, should have some quotes in it, because it makes no sense as it is written. And, since it is a double post, it's double the confusion of one of your posts. If you need help with putting the words of someone else inside quotes in your post, someone here can help you with that. It goes a lot smoother here if you don't assume the intentions of people. Sometimes people give answers as best they can with the way your question is worded.
The double post was a mistake, as I am sure you knew. And the sustain thing I have already explained. The rest of your charges are baseless.

See my reply to danieltruworthy if I remember his name right. If I don't, try to cope and find it anyhow.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

neo-x wrote:
ultimate777 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 am

Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Was this some funny you learned at home or school? Cause its pathetic at the pun you might have it intended for.
Obviously the experiment shows you did not understand me or chose to act as if you did not.
Which was it? I suspect the latter.
What makes you think you are so special that we'd single you out on the forum?
What about you?
No doubt the ways some of you express your indignation will prove my point better than my poor means to do so.
Oh, cut me and then accuse me of bleeding? wow! fantastic measures for proving your point. Its crap actually. Sorry had to say it.
If you must, proceed, you know you want to.
Whatever.
However, I would love to be PROVEN wrong about the character of most of you all who bother to respond.
What about your character? prove me wrong what I think about your character, then we'll see if you deserve the courtesy in return.
See my reply to Danieltwotwenty.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

ultimate777 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Dan

I'll try to explain. It takes very little thought to simply accuse someone of being the same thing they accuse others of being with snappy sayings. Seven year olds do it all the time. I sorrow that Christ seems so often to be represented by such lack of thinking and origionality.

If Christ is against my behavior then obviously I was wrong, but are you entitled to speak for Him?

And too much people here are being unhelpful and at times it is hard to believe it is not being done on purpose because my protests so often seem to be disregarded.

That is a very sore spot with me. Thus my outbursts.

You can continue to accuse me of whatever you fancy, making false assumptions and accusations is not in the spirit of Christ.

Your petty name calling has no effect on me, I shall just turn my cheek and walk away knowing that I have behaved in a correct manner.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.