Science and Religion

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Science and Religion

Post by snorider »

Science allows us to question everything, it changes.

Religion is static, it does not allow change.

Prove me wrong?
Jordan
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Science and Religion

Post by RickD »

1 Thessalonians 5:21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;

Scripture tells us to examine everything carefully.
What's your point, Snorider?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

snorider wrote:Science allows us to question everything, it changes.

Prove me wrong?
Jordan
Jesus brought NO changes to the OT view of religion and God ??
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

My point is, the bible cannot be changed or challenged.
Last edited by snorider on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Give me an example where the Bible has adapted and changed.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLR ... age#t=455s

Justification of murdering children:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUMzYA3XSEc&

God on Trial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5caAug5n8Zk

Recap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0PDuUdhAc

Did we invent God?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm971ltF44A

Praise the lord, my sickness is healed! Do not praise the doctors.

Praise the lord I won the Olympic race!, If the lord decided who won, he also chose the losers.
Praise the lord! How about Praising your Doctors and Coaches that did the work that allowed you to win.

Praise Science for finding the cancer and getting rid of it.

Prayer has no effect, studies have found. We automatically praise the lord.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/healt ... wanted=all

What has religion done in the last thousand years to progress the human race?
What has Science done to progress the human race?

Think about that.

Science saves lives, it flies us to the moon.
Religion causes conflicts between nations and flies us into buildings.
One last video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsAZSz2Yb_8 - Eviden3nc3

Thanks and love,
Jordan
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

snorider wrote: What has religion done in the last thousand years to progress the human race?
What has Science done to progress the human race?

Think about that.

Science saves lives, it flies us to the moon.
Religion causes conflicts between nations and flies us into buildings.
One last video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsAZSz2Yb_8 - Eviden3nc3

Thanks and love,
Jordan
Lol at religion only causing conflicts. Religion helped lay the foundations for science itself. The great ancient philosophers and scientists (like Aristotle, for example) believed in the concept of God and employed it at the heart of their philosophies. Some of the greatest scientific minds of the last thousand years have been monks, bishops, theologians, etc. The idea of a wise and constant God as the creator and sustainer of the universe was fundamental to the development of science as we know it today.

Not to degrade science, but in addition to saving lives and flying us into the moon, it has also resulted in widespread destruction and increasingly efficient ways to kill people. Most conflicts are not caused by religion, and even those that are have other factors as well. Religion is good for the world. Christianity, for example, has made enormous contributions to fighting poverty and disease, encouraging learning, and funding research. Your characterization of science and religion is entirely to simplistic.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

First you said:

Then you changed your statement to:
snorider wrote:My point is, the bible cannot be changed or challenged.

The verse I showed you, tells us from the bible itself, that we are to test all things:
1 Thessalonians 5:21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;
So, your point is wrong. Interpretations of the bible are supposed to be challenged. And, when those interpretations don't line up with the rest of scripture, and what we can see in the world around us, then those interpretations need to be changed.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

snorider wrote:Science allows us to question everything
What about that statement? Does science allow us to question whether or not science questions everything?

What you have here is a self-refuting assertion. Not uncommon among adherents of scientism.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

First off, the whole "religion causes conflicts: has been shown to be incorrect even by atheists !
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... r?page=0,2
Moreover, the chief complaint against religion -- that it is history's prime instigator of intergroup conflict -- does not withstand scrutiny. Religious issues motivate only a small minority of recorded wars. The Encyclopedia of Wars surveyed 1,763 violent conflicts across history; only 123 (7 percent) were religious. A BBC-sponsored "God and War" audit, which evaluated major conflicts over 3,500 years and rated them on a 0-to-5 scale for religious motivation (Punic Wars = 0, Crusades = 5), found that more than 60 percent had no religious motivation. Less than 7 percent earned a rating greater than 3. There was little religious motivation for the internecine Russian and Chinese conflicts or the world wars responsible for history's most lethal century of international bloodshed.

Indeed, inclusive concepts such as "humanity" arguably emerged with the rise of universal religions. Sociologist Rodney Stark reveals that early Christianity became the Roman Empire's majority religion not through conquest, but through a social process grounded in trust. Repeated acts of altruism, such as caring for non-Christians during epidemics, facilitated the expansion of social networks that were invested in the religion. Likewise, studies by behavioral economist Joseph Henrich and colleagues on contemporary foragers, farmers, and herders show that professing a world religion is correlated with greater fairness toward passing strangers. This research helps explain what's going on in sub-Saharan Africa, where Islam is spreading rapidly. In Rwanda, for example, people began converting to Islam in droves after Muslims systematically risked their lives to protect Christians and animists from genocide when few others cared.
Second, the bible's teachings have been challenged over the centuries, many times from within, does the reformation mean anything to you?
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

snorider wrote: Prove me wrong?
Jordan

Science is wrong; prove me wrong without using science.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Posting one piece of scripture is not a valid response to the original post.

I would like you to stop paying your electric bill, when your lights go out due to non payment, sit in your room, do not contact anyone or do anything other than pray until the power to comes back on. When that happens come back here and post.

Thanks,
Jordan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

PaulSacramento wrote:First off, the whole "religion causes conflicts: has been shown to be incorrect even by atheists !
Moreover, the chief complaint against religion -- that it is history's prime instigator of intergroup conflict -- does not withstand scrutiny. Religious issues motivate only a small minority of recorded wars. The Encyclopedia of Wars surveyed 1,763 violent conflicts across history; only 123 (7 percent) were religious. A BBC-sponsored "God and War" audit, which evaluated major conflicts over 3,500 years and rated them on a 0-to-5 scale for religious motivation (Punic Wars = 0, Crusades = 5), found that more than 60 percent had no religious motivation. Less than 7 percent earned a rating greater than 3. There was little religious motivation for the internecine Russian and Chinese conflicts or the world wars responsible for history's most lethal century of international bloodshed.

Indeed, inclusive concepts such as "humanity" arguably emerged with the rise of universal religions. Sociologist Rodney Stark reveals that early Christianity became the Roman Empire's majority religion not through conquest, but through a social process grounded in trust. Repeated acts of altruism, such as caring for non-Christians during epidemics, facilitated the expansion of social networks that were invested in the religion. Likewise, studies by behavioral economist Joseph Henrich and colleagues on contemporary foragers, farmers, and herders show that professing a world religion is correlated with greater fairness toward passing strangers. This research helps explain what's going on in sub-Saharan Africa, where Islam is spreading rapidly. In Rwanda, for example, people began converting to Islam in droves after Muslims systematically risked their lives to protect Christians and animists from genocide when few others cared.
Second, the bible's teachings have been challenged over the centuries, many times from within, does the reformation mean anything to you?
Why am I unable to find this published anywhere other than the personal profiles of those that wrote it? Why isn't it published in anything of credibility?

I'll go ahead and do the same thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX-Aldx-LM0
Last edited by snorider on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I would like you to stop paying your electric bill, when your lights go out due to non payment, sit in your room, do not contact anyone or do anything other than pray until the power to comes back on. When that happens come back here and post.

You are presuming that God answers all prayers with a yes, sometimes the answer is no, especially when you are able to do that something yourself. :shakehead:

Dan
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

snorider wrote:Science allows us to question everything, it changes.

Prove me wrong?
Jordan

Please define religion and change.

As others have stated doctrines constantly change, why do you think we have so many denominations, ergo "religion" "changes".
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.