Education today ?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
twinc
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Education today ?

Post by twinc »

via google search out [What are your children being taught today] in USA and UK - click on creation today and be amazed and surprised - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Education today ?

Post by RickD »

Oh goodie! Eric Hovind. I can't wait to see what he has to say. :sleep: :xxpuke:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

not a lot, it is Paul Taylor as highy qualified science teacher who does most of the saying - comments - twinc
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

twinc wrote:not a lot, it is Paul Taylor as highy qualified science teacher who does most of the saying - comments - twinc
Oh joy! I just happened to post an article by Paul Taylor in another thread. Here's the article that made me want to choke my dog:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... 4/six-days
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

Yeah, but I have never heard someone emphatically say "wooow" as many times as Hovind does in this video.

There are quite a few mistakes they make (likely intentionally) regarding science and science teaching in general. The most glaring to me was the assertion that evolution follows a "conclusion first, evidence later" approach. I couldn't disagree more. Evolution began as a collection of hypotheses developed mainly by Charles Darwin. The overarching Theory of Evolution was set, though it lacked a large amount of fossil evidence and the understanding of hereditary traits from genetics. Nevertheless, Darwin did predict that such things would be found.

As scientists discovered genetics and inheritance of traits, this wasn't "evidence after the conclusion" in the sense that Hovind and Taylor make it out to be. While a conclusion had already been reached many years earlier, hardly anyone regarded it as a fully-formed theory of science. Only after genetics and fossil evidence turned out to back the proposed mechanisms and conclusions of evolution was it fully accepted. As far as fossil evidence today goes, they say that when scientists say it is "reasonable" to expect transitional forms to be found, they are wrong in saying that is bad science. It is a prediction, not hard evidence. Darwin and other scientists predicted that fossils would be found that back evolution. So far, they haven't really been wrong.

And yeah, I almost felt like hurting myself after he started talking about the "evidence" for a global flood and a young Earth in the video and the article rick posted. ou want bad science? That's what you should be looking at.
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

Ivellious wrote:Yeah, but I have never heard someone emphatically say "wooow" as many times as Hovind does in this video.

There are quite a few mistakes they make (likely intentionally) regarding science and science teaching in general. The most glaring to me was the assertion that evolution follows a "conclusion first, evidence later" approach. I couldn't disagree more.
I am turned into a sort of machine for observing facts and grinding out conclusions. (Charles Darwin)

"Why, if species have descended from other species by fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? . . . Why do we not find them imbedded in countless numbers in the crust of the earth?" ( The Origin of Species, 1859, Masterpieces of Science edition, 1958, pp. 136-137).
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

The first quote by Darwin is actually helping me out...He bluntly states that he sees things, and concludes what they mean. Which is the proper order, is it not?

The second quote is explained in more detail if you actually read the rest of the chapter, or at least the segment on fossils, where he briefly says that he expects not to find every possible transitional state because the circumstances for creating an intact fossil from a living organism are rare. Also, since the book was written, paleontology has advanced greatly and fossil evidence has been found in droves. Just because at the time we hadn't done a ton of discovering in that field doesn't mean he was wrong to predict that more fossils would be found.
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Ivellious wrote:The first quote by Darwin is actually helping me out...He bluntly states that he sees things, and concludes what they mean. Which is the proper order, is it not?

The second quote is explained in more detail if you actually read the rest of the chapter, or at least the segment on fossils, where he briefly says that he expects not to find every possible transitional state because the circumstances for creating an intact fossil from a living organism are rare. Also, since the book was written, paleontology has advanced greatly and fossil evidence has been found in droves. Just because at the time we hadn't done a ton of discovering in that field doesn't mean he was wrong to predict that more fossils would be found.
by the way according to pseudo,con,fake,fraud scientists droves = missing links are still missing - twinc
twinc
Established Member

Post by twinc »

Ivellious wrote:Yeah, but I have never heard someone emphatically say "wooow" as many times as Hovind does in this video.

There are quite a few mistakes they make (likely intentionally) regarding science and science teaching in general. The most glaring to me was the assertion that evolution follows a "conclusion first, evidence later" approach. I couldn't disagree more. Evolution began as a collection of hypotheses developed mainly by Charles Darwin. The overarching Theory of Evolution was set, though it lacked a large amount of fossil evidence and the understanding of hereditary traits from genetics. Nevertheless, Darwin did predict that such things would be found.

As scientists discovered genetics and inheritance of traits, this wasn't "evidence after the conclusion" in the sense that Hovind and Taylor make it out to be. While a conclusion had already been reached many years earlier, hardly anyone regarded it as a fully-formed theory of science. Only after genetics and fossil evidence turned out to back the proposed mechanisms and conclusions of evolution was it fully accepted. As far as fossil evidence today goes, they say that when scientists say it is "reasonable" to expect transitional forms to be found, they are wrong in saying that is bad science. It is a prediction, not hard evidence. Darwin and other scientists predicted that fossils would be found that back evolution. So far, they haven't really been wrong.

And yeah, I almost felt like hurting myself after he started talking about the "evidence" for a global flood and a young Earth in the video and the article rick posted. ou want bad science? That's what you should be looking at.
naturally of course according to pseudo,con,fake,fraud evolution science droves of transitional forms = missing links are still missing and according to how I read it genetics refutes evolution that never was or could be - twinc
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

My science teachers in virginia were actually very good at teaching evolution. They always started with something like "i am not up here to change your beliefs or force you to believe something, i'm not challenging what you're taught on sunday". And my oceanography teacher went to my church and was a very kind godly man, teaching evolution does not make anyone less of a christian, it just means they may believe god works in different ways.

Honestly you cannot teach creation, it's largely faith with a base in some portions of science. Teaching creation would require teachers to say "god created us" which of course with school being government funded would violate the 1st amendment.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte