Jesus

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Icthus
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Jesus

Post by Icthus »

snorider wrote:
Icthus wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Jesus was quoting psalm 22:1 for those that could hear Him and understand.
This. Psalm 22 is a messianic psalm that ends triumphantly. By invoking it, you could say, Jesus was actually claiming victory.
Psalm 22[a]

For the director of music. To the tune of “The Doe of the Morning.” A psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, but I find no rest.
3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the one Israel praises.[c]
4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried out and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
“let the Lord rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.”
9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10 From birth I was cast on you;
from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted within me.
15 My mouth[d] is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce[e] my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.
19 But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save me from the horns of the wild oxen.
22 I will declare your name to my people;
in the assembly I will praise you.
23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.
25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
before those who fear you[f] I will fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
those who seek the Lord will praise him—
may your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the Lord
and he rules over the nations.
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
declaring to a people yet unborn:
He has done it!

What part of this exactly were you talking about? Jesus crying out why Lord?

Why would the Lord, creator of the entire universe first of all need to send a mortal son?

He created the entire Universe, whoops forgot about that whole creating man with free will sin thing need to create a mortal son that dies unknowingly to correct it.

We were talking about the whole psalm actually. Giving the first phrase was a way of invoking the psalm in its entirety, a psalm that was believed to be Messianic. I have no idea why you persist in claiming that Jesus died "unknowingly" when we've said repeatedly that he clearly did know what was up. Your suggestion that his words on the cross mean he didn't know what was going on don't even make sense. Why would the authors of the NT include that phrase if they thought it proved he wasn't divine? As for your remarks about grown men and the Easter Bunny, I suppose I am a "grown man" at 22, and no, I do not believe in the Easter Bunny. There is no comparison between believing in Jesus and believing in magical rabbits that come around on Easter and give out eggs. Jesus was clearly a historical person, as just about everybody accepts, and certain facts agreed upon by a solid majority of historical scholars (such as that he was crucified, that his tomb was likely found empty, that his disciples and even some enemies like Paul had experiences that they believed were sightings of a physically resurrected and transformed Jesus, and that within a very short time a religion focused on these highly public claims emerged) strongly suggest that he physically rose from the dead and alternate theories have failed spectacularly to account for these facts.

Also, Jesus was not "created" as he is God. He existed before sin did.

I'm sorry to say so, but you are not provoking thought. Most of us (I know I have) have heard the objections you've made before and consider them to be easily answered. I don't want to label you without actually knowing you, but to me you sound like dozens of other skeptics I've met, who seem to believe that they exist in a Biblical knowledge vacuum and that all they need to refute thousands of years of thought from some of the greatest minds in history is a copy of the Bible in English, the great wasteland that is the internet, and a sufficient amount of self assurance. They think they can enter the debate with an amateurish understanding of the Bible, little to no knowledge of context, and no regard for the work of those who know better, when, quite unsurprisingly, they can't. Arguments like "believing in Jesus is like believing in the Easter Bunny" or "Jesus says in the Bible that God has given up on him: he clearly didn't know what was going on" are the sort of thing peddled endlessly by New Atheist types like Dawkins or Harris that have no more credibility in the religious arena than Hovind and Ham have in the scientific arena.

Your question about whether or not we share the faith of our siblings/family is teetering on the edge of the genetic fallacy. The fact that many people share the beliefs of those around them does nothing to prove them false, nor does the existence of multiple viewpoints prove that one isn't correct. Christians have many reasons for considering our beliefs to be correct. Number one is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (for which we have quite a bit of evidence and don't have to take on blind faith). In addition, we have numerous archaeological finds confirming details of the Biblical world and the work of great textual critics, which shows that the New Testament is textually reliable. From a philosophical point of view, we have arguments developed over thousands of years that attempt to demonstrate the metaphysical necessity of a God whose nature is like that of the Christian God. If you care to look, there's actually quite a lot of evidence for Christianity (and I don't even accept design arguments, presuppositional apologetics, or arguments from inerrancy).
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by snorider »

Byblos wrote:
snorider wrote:Most of you probably grew up among the faith of your siblings, most Christian's grew up around Christians, most Muslims grew up around Muslims. Are you the same religion of your siblings? Why is this?

I assume, most of you are grown men. Do you also believe in the Easter Bunny? What makes your Christian God "more legitimate" than other gods worshipped throughout human kind?

A personal relationship, is a common answer, throughout the world.
You pose a question, you get several answers, ignore all of them, come back with more questions that have nothing to do with the original questions you asked, make false assumptions about God's intentions and what everyone's background is here, then you wonder why your posts are deleted? Try engaging in a meaningful conversation first.

"God is Mysterious." Cop out.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

See what I did there?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

snorider wrote:See what I did there?
No you did nothing here -

You need to learn to answer peoples questions as we discussed before in our own emails...

Can you try to actually answer the questions and stay on topic?

I am going to avoid answering you in your post as we have been thru this before and like I mentioned about this forum, you'll get a wide array of responses that should help you sort things out in your mind. I only posted here - to remind you that you should stay on topic and answer questions posed.

Most people don't see anything you did on this thread because you did nothing. Please help the readers out and explain yourself more and stay on topic.

Thank You..
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

This is exactly why I believe that atheism is an emotional world and not an intellectual one. Here the mind is closed and cannot accept anything but his emotional worldview. Seems like a carbon copy of Christopher Hitchens. I wonder if he's enjoying his extra well done steak sandwich?
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

snorider wrote:Now, if Jesus knew he was the son of God, why would he have a fear of dying?
Byblos wrote:Because he emptied himself and wanted to fully feel what it's like to be human.
Why did he say this when he died?: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Did he forget why he was here? It doesn't sound like he wanted to be sacrificed according to Matthew 27:46
What would have happened if he wasn't sacrificed and died of natural causes, would have the gates of Heaven still have opened?
"Because he emptied himself and wanted to fully feel what it's like to be human."? How do you know this?
snorider wrote:God's son seemed to act and question God's authority before his death.
Byblos wrote: Where? He fully submitted to the Father's will even though he was terrified of it.
This relates to the above quote: from Matthew 27:46
snorider wrote:God did not save his son from dying on the cross, why would he save someone from cancer?
Byblos wrote: The latter has temporal consequences while the former eternal ones.
LUKE 12:10, "And everyone that says a word against the Son of Man, that will be forgiven; But he that blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will not be forgiven
MARK 3:29, "Whoever blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of everlasting sin."
MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".

A child rapist, a serial killer may be forgiven but there is no chance for someone that is a non-believer, is this correct?

Thanks,
Jordan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Icthus wrote:
snorider wrote:
Icthus wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Jesus was quoting psalm 22:1 for those that could hear Him and understand.
This. Psalm 22 is a messianic psalm that ends triumphantly. By invoking it, you could say, Jesus was actually claiming victory.
Psalm 22[a]

For the director of music. To the tune of “The Doe of the Morning.” A psalm of David.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, but I find no rest.
3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the one Israel praises.[c]
4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried out and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
6 But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the Lord,” they say,
“let the Lord rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
since he delights in him.”
9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10 From birth I was cast on you;
from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
11 Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me;
strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted within me.
15 My mouth[d] is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce[e] my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
and cast lots for my garment.
19 But you, Lord, do not be far from me.
You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
save me from the horns of the wild oxen.
22 I will declare your name to my people;
in the assembly I will praise you.
23 You who fear the Lord, praise him!
All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or scorned
the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
but has listened to his cry for help.
25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
before those who fear you[f] I will fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
those who seek the Lord will praise him—
may your hearts live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth
will remember and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the Lord
and he rules over the nations.
29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
declaring to a people yet unborn:
He has done it!

What part of this exactly were you talking about? Jesus crying out why Lord?

Why would the Lord, creator of the entire universe first of all need to send a mortal son?

He created the entire Universe, whoops forgot about that whole creating man with free will sin thing need to create a mortal son that dies unknowingly to correct it.

Icthus wrote:We were talking about the whole psalm actually. Giving the first phrase was a way of invoking the psalm in its entirety, a psalm that was believed to be Messianic. I have no idea why you persist in claiming that Jesus died "unknowingly" when we've said repeatedly that he clearly did know what was up.

We as in, Christian's as a group, how do you know for sure? Because you believe it in numbers?

Jesus regularly claimed being "lifted up", this is a generic answer that would apply to death in general.

When he was going to go to Jerusalem he knew the possible penalty in advance, this is not a prediction:
Matthew 20:18–19 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death, 19 gand deliver Him to the Gentiles to hmock and to iscourge and to jcrucify. And the third day He will krise again.”

Icthus wrote: Your suggestion that his words on the cross mean he didn't know what was going on don't even make sense. Why would the authors of the NT include that phrase if they thought it proved he wasn't divine? As for your remarks about grown men and the Easter Bunny, I suppose I am a "grown man" at 22, and no, I do not believe in the Easter Bunny. There is no comparison between believing in Jesus and believing in magical rabbits that come around on Easter and give out eggs.

What evidence do you have for the Easter bunny and what evidence do you have for the existence for God?
Please don't say the Bible, the Bible was written by men. Look at Mormonism, Joeseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon less than 200 years ago, look at how many Mormons believe that Joeseph is on par with Jesus and that the garden of Eve was in Missouri...
14.1 million Mormons believe this, as of 2010, pretty impressive for only 200 years. Imagine what 2000 years can do.

Icthus wrote: Jesus was clearly a historical person, as just about everybody accepts, and certain facts agreed upon by a solid majority of historical scholars (such as that he was crucified, that his tomb was likely found empty, that his disciples and even some enemies like Paul had experiences that they believed were sightings of a physically resurrected and transformed Jesus, and that within a very short time a religion focused on these highly public claims emerged) strongly suggest that he physically rose from the dead and alternate theories have failed spectacularly to account for these facts.

Many humans were sacrificed, I'm not denying that Jesus didn't exist and was a good person.
What evidence is there that he was the son of God and that the Christian God is the one God among the thousands of others that have been known throughout human kind? http://ancienthistory.about.com/library ... _index.htm Just a few, and no not all.

Icthus wrote:Also, Jesus was not "created" as he is God. He existed before sin did.

Ah, why did he pray to the father? Oh right, the Trinity.

Icthus wrote: I'm sorry to say so, but you are not provoking thought. Most of us (I know I have) have heard the objections you've made before and consider them to be easily answered. I don't want to label you without actually knowing you, but to me you sound like dozens of other skeptics I've met, who seem to believe that they exist in a Biblical knowledge vacuum and that all they need to refute thousands of years of thought from some of the greatest minds in history is a copy of the Bible in English, the great wasteland that is the internet, and a sufficient amount of self assurance. They think they can enter the debate with an amateurish understanding of the Bible, little to no knowledge of context, and no regard for the work of those who know better, when, quite unsurprisingly, they can't. Arguments like "believing in Jesus is like believing in the Easter Bunny" or "Jesus says in the Bible that God has given up on him: he clearly didn't know what was going on" are the sort of thing peddled endlessly by New Atheist types like Dawkins or Harris that have no more credibility in the religious arena than Hovind and Ham have in the scientific arena.

I respect your opinion.

Icthus wrote:Your question about whether or not we share the faith of our siblings/family is teetering on the edge of the genetic fallacy. The fact that many people share the beliefs of those around them does nothing to prove them false, nor does the existence of multiple viewpoints prove that one isn't correct. Christians have many reasons for considering our beliefs to be correct. Number one is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (for which we have quite a bit of evidence and don't have to take on blind faith). In addition, we have numerous archaeological finds confirming details of the Biblical world and the work of great textual critics, which shows that the New Testament is textually reliable. From a philosophical point of view, we have arguments developed over thousands of years that attempt to demonstrate the metaphysical necessity of a God whose nature is like that of the Christian God. If you care to look, there's actually quite a lot of evidence for Christianity (and I don't even accept design arguments, presuppositional apologetics, or arguments from inerrancy).

I was a confirmed Catholic, I became a skeptic when I read the Bible.
I am still open even though I don't seem like it.

Thanks for taking time to respond,
Jordan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

bippy123 wrote:
This is exactly why I believe that atheism is an emotional world and not an intellectual one. Here the mind is closed and cannot accept anything but his emotional worldview. Seems like a carbon copy of Christopher Hitchens. I wonder if he's enjoying his extra well done steak sandwich?
First of all, I'm not an Atheist, second of all you are judging an entire group based on one person? What is that called?
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

snorider wrote:
bippy123 wrote:
First of all, I'm not an Atheist, second of all you are judging an entire group based on one person? What is that called?
You are actually using a tired and intellectually bankrupt argument that is used by most militant atheists. If your comparing Jesus to the easter bunny then you really are ignorant about the historicity of Jesus Christ and Christianity alltogether. Trust me, this isnt the first time I heard such a rediculous argument and it isnt the last. It shows me that your appealing to emotions moreso then reason or logic. Hence the comparison to the typical militant atheistic argument.
And we wonder why Inte3llects like William Lane Craig are exposing these arguments for what they are and doing it quite easily I might add. :mrgreen:
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

You are actually using a tired and intellectually bankrupt argument that is used by most militant atheists. If your comparing Jesus to the easter bunny then you really are ignorant about the historicity of Jesus Christ and Christianity alltogether. Trust me, this isnt the first time I heard such a rediculous argument and it isnt the last. It shows me that your appealing to emotions moreso then reason or logic. Hence the comparison to the typical militant atheistic argument.
And we wonder why Inte3llects like William Lane Craig are exposing these arguments for what they are and doing it quite easily I might add.

William Craig vs Sam Harris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg

The History Channel Presents:

Banned from the Bible PI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMNE7IE6bM

Banned from the Bible PII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpHmpD62BW4
Last edited by snorider on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

snorider wrote:
And we wonder why Inte3llects like William Lane Craig are exposing these arguments for what they are and doing it quite easily I might add.

Banned from the Bible PI

Do you have a point with those videos?
By the way, the views expressed on those "banned from the bible" clips have been debated over and over and I am still surprise that ANY still subscribes to them.
The gnostics got left behind simply because they were wrong in their view of Christ and were never viewed as authorative by the apostolic Chruch.
They were older than the NT books and letters, they were NOT authored by any apostle AND they had views that were obvioulsy NOT Judeo-Christian views and went against what was plainly stated in the books that were accepted by ALL churches as authoritative.
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

snorider wrote:

Banned from the Bible PI

Lol at thinking you can get accurate history from the History Channel.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Debates are funny too, I sat through enough to know that the majority of people that go to them have already made up their minds one way or another and, regardless of what happens in the debate, they will see that THEIR view "won out".
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Do you have a point with those videos?
By the way, the views expressed on those "banned from the bible" clips have been debated over and over and I am still surprise that ANY still subscribes to them.
The gnostics got left behind simply because they were wrong in their view of Christ and were never viewed as authorative by the apostolic Chruch.
They were older than the NT books and letters, they were NOT authored by any apostle AND they had views that were obvioulsy NOT Judeo-Christian views and went against what was plainly stated in the books that were accepted by ALL churches as authoritative.
The Craig William video was a response to the previous post.

Obviously you hold the church in high standing, I suppose men of "authority" hold weight for you.
The church believed the Earth was the center of the Universe, they prosecuted the man for proving otherwise. You might know him. Galileo.

The pope is automatically given power in his position, what he says is taken seriously by most uneducated believers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7952829.stm

There is direct murder and indirect murder (manslaughter). How many people took the pope literally? How many died or are still dying because of what he said?

I believe that Christianity is outnumbered now isn't it? How many Muslims are there? Christians view billions of Muslims as crazy, all the other religions are simply crazy? Am I wrong?

How do you feel about people that believe in something other than Jesus Christ?

Isn't the one unforgivable sign the denial of the Holy Spirit? Not Murder, not child molestation, but not believing - unforgivable.

Let's say Heaven is real, that means Hell is real. As a Christian, are you ok with spending an eternity in Heaven knowing there are people burning in Hell? If so, that's the sickest thing I can think of. How can a Christian enjoy Heaven knowing there are people in terrible agony for all of eternity? Especially those that lived good lives but denied Jesus and chose another religion?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Obviously you hold the church in high standing, I suppose men of "authority" hold weight for you.
The church believed the Earth was the center of the Universe, they prosecuted the man for proving otherwise. You might know him. Galileo.
I do not hold organized religion in high standing and "the church" is made up of ALL believers and Galileo was supported by the church until he decided to get "cute" and insult his benefactor, or didn't you know about that part?
He was NOT persecuted at all, and the issues was that he couldn't prove it at the time.
The pope is automatically given power in his position, what he says is taken seriously by most uneducated believers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7952829.stm
People should know better. A fallible man can NOT be infallible.

There is direct murder and indirect murder (manslaughter). How many people took the pope literally? How many died or are still dying because of what he said?
Manslaughter is indirect murder? I though it was murder that was NOT premeditated?
People die and kill because of what their leaders say all the time, stupid I agree.

I believe that Christianity is outnumbered now isn't it? How many Muslims are there? Christians view billions of Muslims as crazy, all the other religions are simply crazy? Am I wrong?
I am a christian and do NOT view muslims as crazy or all other religions as crazy.
How do you feel about people that believe in something other than Jesus Christ?
That is their right and I am sure they have their reasons.

Isn't the one unforgivable sign the denial of the Holy Spirit? Not Murder, not child molestation, but not believing - unforgivable.
Nope, to blasphemy the HS is the unforgivable sin.
Let's say Heaven is real, that means Hell is real. As a Christian, are you ok with spending an eternity in Heaven knowing there are people burning in Hell? If so, that's the sickest thing I can think of. How can a Christian enjoy Heaven knowing there are people in terrible agony for all of eternity? Especially those that lived good lives but denied Jesus and chose another religion?
We have a choice, WE HAVE a choice, it has never been taken away from us and we all have the choice to be "with God" or not.
As CS Lewis said:
Either we say to God, Thy will be done, or God says to Us, Thy will be done.

No I am NOT ok with ANYONE being lost from God and not because of Hell or any possible torment, but because to be lost from God is to be lost form a love that one can't even begin to fathom and I would NOT wish that loss on ANYONE.