Morality Without God?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Icthus
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Morality Without God?

Post by Icthus »

Butterfly wrote:Addressing the question of the title of this thread, “Morality without God?”, I find it quite easy to trace out the origins of morality without the need of a divine source.

Once consciousness arose in animals the next step was self-consciousness, the state of being aware of oneself...from the point that humans became aware they naturally connected the idea of right and wrong using themselves as the model for morality.

When one is aware of disliking something done to their own selves, one then projects that dislike onto others, hence the birth of the "Golden Rule" or "Morality". Self-consciousness is the state from which morality was born, that is what sets us apart from all the other animals...the ability to project our own feelings and desires onto another being and know that it is either right or wrong because of our own awareness.

Self-awareness also gave birth to the idea of purpose and beginnings. Naturally when one is aware of their own existence, the question emerges...where did I come from, and what is my purpose? Thus, the idea of a creator who formed us for a purpose naturally arose, since our origins are hidden from our understanding.

Sin, like morality is a concept, not an “objective fact”, which emerged out of the consciousness of man. Without the self-awareness of the human animal “sin”, like morality does not exist; it is not a law or principle upon which life is built. The concept of sin arose solely from the state of self-awareness of our own selves, and the idea that somehow the desires of our humanity are innately bad.

If morality exists as a “truth” in the universe in the same way as say the Pythagorean Theorem does then why has mans concept of what is moral continued to change with time, and consciousness level? Take for instance the biblical passage in Numbers 31, where Moses orders the Hebrew soldiers by command from God to kill all the male children and women who are not virgins, and then proceeds to give the remaining 32,000 virgins girls to the Hebrew soldiers to keep for themselves…by today’s moral standards killing women and children and taking people as slaves is totally unacceptable and immoral, yet the Hebrew’s in biblical times seemed to think God allowed such behavior.

Num.31:1-2 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people. Num. 31:18-19 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

There are countless other examples in the Bible where acts that are considered immoral by today’s standards are commanded and condoned by its God. Morality appears to come solely from the emergence of self-awareness and the ability to reason, there is no need of a “Divine Source” as the author of morality.
Um, did you happen to read the previous discussion before making this post? I don't want to sound rude, but the topic focuses mainly on the arguments from evil many atheists make about God's supposedly immoral behavior and how they often seem to assume either that God as portrayed in the Bible is evil (which requires that morality exists with which we can judge him) or that God contradicts himself by declaring something to be evil and then doing it himself. The topic has never been about how concepts of morality could arise in the human mind without God putting them there.

On a somewhat related note, the examples of extermination of other nations such as those you've just pointed out have already been mentioned, as has the rather simple answer that when God, for instance, ordered the destruction of the inhabitants of Palestine, he was not doing evil.

I don't mean to nitpick, but your question "If morality exists as a “truth” in the universe in the same way as say the Pythagorean Theorem does then why has mans concept of what is moral continued to change with time, and consciousness level?" doesn't make sense to me. If objective morality exists, then human understanding of it has no bearing on whether it exists or not. Humanity has understood physics in different ways through the years, but that doesn't mean that the laws of physics themselves are inconsistent or don't hold outside the human mind.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
Butterfly
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Butterfly »

Icthus wrote:
Um, did you happen to read the previous discussion before making this post? I don't want to sound rude, but the topic focuses mainly on the arguments from evil many atheists make about God's supposedly immoral behavior and how they often seem to assume either that God as portrayed in the Bible is evil (which requires that morality exists with which we can judge him) or that God contradicts himself by declaring something to be evil and then doing it himself. The topic has never been about how concepts of morality could arise in the human mind without God putting them there.
If you don't want to sound rude, then don't make rude statements. As I stated in my opening sentence, I am addressing the title of this thread "Morality Without God?", not other peoples ideas. The topic is anything to do with morality existing without God.
Icthus wrote:On a somewhat related note, the examples of extermination of other nations such as those you've just pointed out have already been mentioned, as has the rather simple answer that when God, for instance, ordered the destruction of the inhabitants of Palestine, he was not doing evil.
Who are you to say it wasn't evil? Of course killing innocent people and taking others as sex slaves is evil! Who told you differently?
Icthus wrote:I don't mean to nitpick, but your question "If morality exists as a “truth” in the universe in the same way as say the Pythagorean Theorem does then why has mans concept of what is moral continued to change with time, and consciousness level?" doesn't make sense to me. If objective morality exists, then human understanding of it has no bearing on whether it exists or not. Humanity has understood physics in different ways through the years, but that doesn't mean that the laws of physics themselves are inconsistent or don't hold outside the human mind.
Just because it doesn't make sense to you has no bearing on it accuracy. Human understanding has everything to do with whether or not objective morality exists. Without self aware humans there is no morality. The laws that govern the physical world are unchanging, which has nothing to do with how people have understood them.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Butterfly wrote:Addressing the question of the title of this thread, “Morality without God?”, I find it quite easy to trace out the origins of morality without the need of a divine source.

Once consciousness arose in animals the next step was self-consciousness, the state of being aware of oneself...from the point that humans became aware they naturally connected the idea of right and wrong using themselves as the model for morality.

When one is aware of disliking something done to their own selves, one then projects that dislike onto others, hence the birth of the "Golden Rule" or "Morality". Self-consciousness is the state from which morality was born, that is what sets us apart from all the other animals...the ability to project our own feelings and desires onto another being and know that it is either right or wrong because of our own awareness.

Self-awareness also gave birth to the idea of purpose and beginnings. Naturally when one is aware of their own existence, the question emerges...where did I come from, and what is my purpose? Thus, the idea of a creator who formed us for a purpose naturally arose, since our origins are hidden from our understanding.

Sin, like morality is a concept, not an “objective fact”, which emerged out of the consciousness of man. Without the self-awareness of the human animal “sin”, like morality does not exist; it is not a law or principle upon which life is built. The concept of sin arose solely from the state of self-awareness of our own selves, and the idea that somehow the desires of our humanity are innately bad.

If morality exists as a “truth” in the universe in the same way as say the Pythagorean Theorem does then why has mans concept of what is moral continued to change with time, and consciousness level? Take for instance the biblical passage in Numbers 31, where Moses orders the Hebrew soldiers by command from God to kill all the male children and women who are not virgins, and then proceeds to give the remaining 32,000 virgins girls to the Hebrew soldiers to keep for themselves…by today’s moral standards killing women and children and taking people as slaves is totally unacceptable and immoral, yet the Hebrew’s in biblical times seemed to think God allowed such behavior.

Num.31:1-2 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people. Num. 31:18-19 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

There are countless other examples in the Bible where acts that are considered immoral by today’s standards are commanded and condoned by its God. Morality appears to come solely from the emergence of self-awareness and the ability to reason, there is no need of a “Divine Source” as the author of morality.

I think you have a few assumptions there which is normal.
First off, the "golden rule" is a starting point and while most agree with it, not all agree that it is applicable to all people.
Viking marauders had issues with their women being raped but most certainty didn't have issues raping the women of others, so the "golden rule" may have worked amongst themselves but it certainly wasn't applied to outsiders.
Self- awareness is great, but you have to define it and explain why it would lead to any moral view at all that is consistent.

While its fine to comment on what we view as immoral, it should be asked on what grounds we do view it as immoral.
Icthus
Established Member

Post by Icthus »

Butterfly wrote:
Icthus wrote:
If you don't want to sound rude, then don't make rude statements. As I stated in my opening sentence, I am addressing the title of this thread "Morality Without God?", not other peoples ideas. The topic is anything to do with morality existing without God.
Icthus wrote:On a somewhat related note, the examples of extermination of other nations such as those you've just pointed out have already been mentioned, as has the rather simple answer that when God, for instance, ordered the destruction of the inhabitants of Palestine, he was not doing evil.
Who are you to say it wasn't evil? Of course killing innocent people and taking others as sex slaves is evil! Who told you differently?
Icthus wrote:I don't mean to nitpick, but your question "If morality exists as a “truth” in the universe in the same way as say the Pythagorean Theorem does then why has mans concept of what is moral continued to change with time, and consciousness level?" doesn't make sense to me. If objective morality exists, then human understanding of it has no bearing on whether it exists or not. Humanity has understood physics in different ways through the years, but that doesn't mean that the laws of physics themselves are inconsistent or don't hold outside the human mind.
Just because it doesn't make sense to you has no bearing on it accuracy. Human understanding has everything to do with whether or not objective morality exists. Without self aware humans there is no morality. The laws that govern the physical world are unchanging, which has nothing to do with how people have understood them.
Rude statements? All I was trying to do was point out that this topic had a specific focus. Generally, when one posts in a topic in which discussion has being going on, he or she responds to the questions or statements being made in it.

Your claim that "Human understanding has everything to do with whether or not objective morality exists. Without self aware humans there is no morality" still doesn't make sense as an argument. Morality exists, for instance, if God exists, regardless of whether or not self aware humans exist. If objective morals exist, they simply exist, even if we don't know them.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Point to consider...

Human beings are moral creatures (knowledge of good and bad) and have no idea what objective morality is or states unless revealed to them from a perfect objective moral source outside of themselves...

So would it be bad to deny this source or good to deny this source?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Butterfly
Established Member

Post by Butterfly »

PaulSacramento wrote:

I think you have a few assumptions there which is normal.
First off, the "golden rule" is a starting point and while most agree with it, not all agree that it is applicable to all people.
Viking marauders had issues with their women being raped but most certainty didn't have issues raping the women of others, so the "golden rule" may have worked amongst themselves but it certainly wasn't applied to outsiders.
Self- awareness is great, but you have to define it and explain why it would lead to any moral view at all that is consistent.

While its fine to comment on what we view as immoral, it should be asked on what grounds we do view it as immoral.
I think you have misunderstood the Golden Rule by the example you gave. You said the Vikings had issues with their own women being raped but had no problem raping other women; the Golden Rule has to do with treating others as you wish to be treated. An appropriate question to ask the Vikings who were raping other women, is if they themselves would want to be raped? The answer is most certainly NO. The Golden Rule must be applied to ones self and how you treat others.

Self awareness is a fact that leads to morality and is always consistent, because the mere fact of being aware of ones own feelings and knowing other humans have those same feelings, invariably leads to the idea of treating others as you wish to be treated. It's a very simple idea and it applies universally, that is why so many great teachers like Confucius and Jesus taught it as the commandment that trumps all others.
Butterfly
Established Member

Post by Butterfly »

Icthus wrote:
Rude statements? All I was trying to do was point out that this topic had a specific focus. Generally, when one posts in a topic in which discussion has being going on, he or she responds to the questions or statements being made in it.
I posted as a reply to the thread, not to an individual post, and my post was entirely ON TOPIC, which was Morality Without God?
Icthus wrote:Your claim that "Human understanding has everything to do with whether or not objective morality exists. Without self aware humans there is no morality" still doesn't make sense as an argument. Morality exists, for instance, if God exists, regardless of whether or not self aware humans exist. If objective morals exist, they simply exist, even if we don't know them.
My point is that morality has everything to do with human existence, and nothing to do with whether or not God exists. Morality does not exist unless self-aware humans exist, regardless of God's existence. If one looks at the universe up until the point of human existence, no such object called "morality" existed, even if you believe God created everything up until that point. Morality is totally dependent upon self conscious agents.
Butterfly
Established Member

Post by Butterfly »

B. W. wrote:Point to consider...

Human beings are moral creatures (knowledge of good and bad) and have no idea what objective morality is or states unless revealed to them from a perfect objective moral source outside of themselves...

-
-
-
It's not a matter of denying a source, but rather stating that a source is not needed for self-conscious agents to be aware of morality. Morality does not need to be revealed through an outside source, when it emerges from within through the realization of treating others as oneself.
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Butterfly wrote:

-
-
-
It's not a matter of denying a source, but rather stating that a source is not needed for self-conscious agents to be aware of morality. Morality does not need to be revealed through an outside source, when it emerges from within through the realization of treating others as oneself.
That makes morals subjective.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Butterfly wrote:It's a very simple idea and it applies universally, that is why so many great teachers like Confucius and Jesus taught it as the commandment that trumps all others.
Have to correct you there. That is a common misconception trying to align the teaching of Jesus and Confucius, especially when Confucius said that he never claimed to be holy. Jesus did not teach the Golden Rule as the commandment that trumps all others. This is what Jesus said when he was asked what the greatest commandment was that trumps all others:

Matt 22:36-38 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

So how are we supposed to love God if we do not know what love is supposed to be in the first place? I mean, if the thoughts in my mind are simply the motions of atoms in my brain and my brain is the result of a mindless, unguided process, why should I believe anything it tells me, including that it is made of atoms?

In contrast to belief in God, the atheists' presuppositions must be constantly changing, and subjective and they do not demand love, patience, and the welfare of others. Instead, since the great majority of atheists are evolutionists, their morality, like evolution is the product of purely natural and random processes that become self-serving.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Butterfly wrote:

Then all human moral judgement is built upon nothing and only needs self...

Hitler and the Nazi's were not wrong, then, as getting rid on certain segments of population was built upon treating others as oneself, like removing a cancer because the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few...

How then is the Islamic oppression of women, children, non-Muslims and imposing Shria law morally wrong when Islamic men think it is in their personal best interest to subjugate all thru means of oppression and removal of due process of law?

There needs to be an outside source to help and aid human beings what right and wrong is. Without this, then we are all oppressed by our own moral subjective best interest of self relativism which only boxes one in a corner one cannot get out of.

Fact is - the absolute fact is this - people do not treat others as they themselves wish to be as this personal of view of this principle is subject to personal change, definition, and taste. Subjective Morality twist the definition of treating others as oneself in various intelligent ways to justify one's point of view.

Why do you think this is - Our Subjective Morality twisting right and wrong based upon personal self interested alone -that - what's best for me?

What's best for me may not be the best for you - How can you draw a line without an outside perfectly neutral objective source intervening, a mediator, an arbitrator? Would it be the state which can out law your existence at a whim? A group of fallible human beings?

This brings up another point - human beings are not perfect - how do we derive that absolute judgment statement?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

To many people, even if they don't admit this to themselves, "treat others as you would have them treat you" is more correctly " treat others as you think they should be treated".
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:Too many people, even if they don't admit this to themselves, "treat others as you would have them treat you" is more correctly " treat others as you think they should be treated".
People cannot live this way with this being their moral guide. It breaks down through the use of human reasoning in many various ways and means. For example:

Some people truly hate themselves, true or not?

Some people love to have pain inflicted upon themselves in various ways, abusive relationships, religious masochistic works, drug/alcohol addictions, mental oppression, etc… True or not?

So would such self loathing be morally wrong in the ways it effects others when the perpetrators don’t mind doing so to themselves?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Butterfly
Established Member

Post by Butterfly »

Katabole wrote:
Butterfly wrote:It's a very simple idea and it applies universally, that is why so many great teachers like Confucius and Jesus taught it as the commandment that trumps all others.
Have to correct you there. That is a common misconception trying to align the teaching of Jesus and Confucius, especially when Confucius said that he never claimed to be holy. Jesus did not teach the Golden Rule as the commandment that trumps all others. This is what Jesus said when he was asked what the greatest commandment was that trumps all others:

Matt 22:36-38 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

This is the first and great commandment.
You forgot to include the rest of the statement spoken by Jesus in which he likened the first to the second, and concluded that upon both hung ALL the law and the prophets.

Matt.22:39-40 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Katabole wrote:So how are we supposed to love God if we do not know what love is supposed to be in the first place? I mean, if the thoughts in my mind are simply the motions of atoms in my brain and my brain is the result of a mindless, unguided process, why should I believe anything it tells me, including that it is made of atoms?
The only way we can know how to love others is by loving ourselves first. If a person hates themselves they would be unable to love God, or anyone else for that matter. Loving oneself comes with being self-aware, which then allows a person to love another as themselves.
Katabole wrote:In contrast to belief in God, the atheists' presuppositions must be constantly changing, and subjective and they do not demand love, patience, and the welfare of others. Instead, since the great majority of atheists are evolutionists, their morality, like evolution is the product of purely natural and random processes that become self-serving.
Morality is the product of rising consciousness levels, as people increasingly become more and more aware of their own humanity, and realize that the humanity of others is on par with their own. This of course includes treating all people with equality regardless of race or gender, which is sadly absent from most of the Old Testament and much of the New. It seems like it is God's position on morality that has changed, much of what was considered moral in the Old Testament like slavery, and viewing women as property is considered immoral by today's standards.
A small flutter of butterfly wings, causes a great disturbance...
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lets not confuse CASUAL laws with PERMISSION to do something.
God may have accommodated His laws to the Hebrew understanding BUT that in no way = condoning an act.
That is like saying that murder is Ok because you only go to jail where you have all your needs met.
Look at it this way, the Laws God gave the freed slaves from Egypt were, for them, hard enough to keep, can you image if they would have bothered even TRYING to keep them if they were more strict?
The Laws of the OT were actually more moral than their neighbour counterparts.
The NT view on morals i very clear in the writings of the Gospels and you won't find more "superiour moraliity" than Christ's teachings and that is why western morals and laws are based on them.
As Paul Said: There is no male or female, no slave nor master under Christ.