How concerned should we be towards stubborn lost people?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: How concerned should we be towards stubborn lost people?

Post by jlay »

Anyway, I can only think of one salvation testimony in the Bible: Paul's. Can you think of others?
There are testimonies of those who were saved. Philippian jailer, Ethiopian.

There are many testimonies that have touched me deeply. But yes, I've also heard what you are speaking of.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:FL, I understand what you're saying. So given that, you can pm me your testimony.
PM my testimony?! Get a LIFE!
jlay wrote:There are testimonies of those who were saved. Philippian jailer, Ethiopian.
Well, I don't really see the jailer's or the Ethiopian's stories as testimonies; they are more stories told by a third person, and they omit a lot of detail. In any event, I now remember a second testimony told to my by another ex-con. I'm leaving for the weekend but when I return, I'll type up each of my ex-cons' testimonies in the apropriate thread...because they are really unusual, and both men were profoundly transformed by God's grace.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

I once saw the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast, and later that day I found a five dollar bill. Does that count? :mrgreen:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:FL, I understand what you're saying. So given that, you can pm me your testimony.
PM my testimony?! Get a LIFE!

FL
FL, spending my days and nights cooped up in an asylum, I get a little bored. Humor me.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jlay wrote:I once saw the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast, and later that day I found a five dollar bill. Does that count? :mrgreen:
Only if you charged admission, especially if the toast wept :mrgreen:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

jlay wrote:I once saw the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast, and later that day I found a five dollar bill. Does that count? :mrgreen:
In Provincetown, Massachsetts, I saw a gizmo that allowed you to imprint the Virgin Mary on toast. I really wanted to buy it but then I remembered that we are not to make sport of heavenly beings. So I didn't buy it. In the same store, I did buy a bumper sticker that reads,

How's My Driving?
Dial 1-800-EAT-SH{edit}T

...but I have yet to stick it on my car because it doesn't seem right. I mean, it does reflect my attitude towards driving, but it doesn't seem WWJD correct.

Sanctification is a process.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

In Provincetown, Massachsetts, I saw a gizmo that allowed you to imprint the Virgin Mary on toast. I really wanted to buy it but then I remembered that we are not to make sport of heavenly beings. So I didn't buy it. In the same store, I did buy a bumper sticker that reads,

How's My Driving?
Dial 1-800-EAT-SH{edit}T

...but I have yet to stick it on my car because it doesn't seem right. I mean, it does reflect my attitude towards driving, but it doesn't seem WWJD correct.

Sanctification is a process.

FL
How's My Driving?
Dial 1-800-FOR-GIVE

WWJD?
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

B. W. wrote:WWJD?
What Would Jehosaphat Do. No, no, that's What Would Jeconiah Do. Or is it What Would Jeroboam Do?

The 1-800-FOR-GIVE would be a great bumper sticker but what are the chances of finding it in Baal Peor?

FL

+ + +

+ + +
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by snorider »

RickD wrote:
snorider wrote:
cubeus19 wrote:Hello everyone, I've got something very serious on my mind. With all the "new atheist" garbage still going around, I noticed that recently it has taken hold in the area where I live and just recently a close friend of mine became an atheist. Not to mention, a few of my family members are considering it as well.
I grew up in a heavily Catholic family, communion at 12, confirmed at 17.
cubeus19 wrote: What's very scary is that when someone becomes an atheist it is extremely difficult to get them back. And more and more I'm noticing that many nonbelievers will refuse to listen no matter what. And it seems that no matter how hard we try or how hard we pray nothing seems to work.
Personally, I've read the Bible twice through, off and on when I was was younger. I've read the Quran once all the way through, I've also studied Buddhism.
I became an Atheist when I read the Bible through the first time, however, I didn't know it at the time, it took a long while for my mind to process.
I'm not sure how anyone is able to read the bible cover to cover and not become an Atheist.

So, regarding the lost people who refuse to listen, are we as believers supposed to continue to argue with them, pray for them, worry about them and drive ourselves nuts over them going to hell or should we just let them be and not let the fact of them going to hell bother us anymore?

Refuse to listen to what exactly? Your superstition that isn't backed by any evidence? What of the superstitions of others? Islam? Zues? Apollo? There is as much evidence for Zues as there is for your God.

Because on one end, we are told to pray without ceasing, but in another area of the New Testament the apostles were told to "shake the dust off their feet" to any village or people that refuse to listen to what they have to say.

The new testament also requests you to do the following, are you going to carry out the following?:

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD's name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother's name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD's will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, "Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD's name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD's name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

1) Suppose there are prophets among you, or those who have dreams about the future, and they promise you signs or miracles, and the predicted signs or miracles take place. If the prophets then say, 'Come, let us worship the gods of foreign nations,' do not listen to them. The LORD your God is testing you to see if you love him with all your heart and soul. Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. The false prophets or dreamers who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Since they try to keep you from following the LORD your God, you must execute them to remove the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

2) But any prophet who claims to give a message from another god or who falsely claims to speak for me must die.' You may wonder, 'How will we know whether the prophecy is from the LORD or not?' If the prophet predicts something in the LORD's name and it does not happen, the LORD did not give the message. That prophet has spoken on his own and need not be feared. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, 'Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.' (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

I mean, for me I really am very sensitive to lost people and I really hurt for them and for myself especially for my lost friends and loved ones. But in all honesty, should we as Christians care so much? Because on one end Christ tells us to love others as we love our self, but love people too much God says they we are not worthy of Him.

As a Christian, you believe in Heaven, so you also believe in Hell, so yes you should care.
As a Christian how can you enjoy Heaven knowing that many are burning in hell?

I starting to think I really shouldn't waste my time with people who refuse to listen. Instead of crying and being depressed about the stubborn lost wouldn't it be better to refocus my energy on reaching the lost who will still listen?

You are suffering needlessly, welcome to religion.
cubeus19 wrote: Also, I'm really concerned about the afterlife. If I make it into heaven and hardly any of my friends and loved ones make it in, how will I or others who are in the same situation, be able to be happy and enjoy anything while knowing that their friends and loved ones are suffering in hell? I used to think in the past before this new atheism garbage became popular that I wouldn't be put in that situation and most if not all my friends and family would be saved, but now I think the opposite is true.
EXACTLY. "How can I enjoy heaven when my friends are in hell." You are at the first step of Atheism. It doesn't make sense.

There is no evidence for heaven or hell, most people are groomed by their family into their belief via the fear of hell. Do not give into the the fear of hell dogma. A relationship with Jesus feels good, but because it feels good does not mean it is true. Before I became an Atheist I converted to Buddhism, I felt the same feelings for Jesus as I did for the new religion.

What do you think I and every other believer should handle these questions? Thanks and GB.
Experience more than one religion, you will understand.
snorider, this is from the board guidelines:
This board is not for those who have strongly made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to put down, debate, and argue against essential Christian beliefs. As such, those who are Christian, have not made up their minds, or desire civilised discussions on Christianity are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged and will be heavily moderated.

This is a warning. Continued posting of this nature will be met with disciplinary actions.
[/quote]

RickD,
My Apologies if I have broken any site rules, that was not my intention. As a former Christian I know what it feels like to be saved, I didn't want to give it up for anything.
Feeling good does not mean it's true, I would be happy to accept Jesus in my life again if the evidence can be provided. I do not believe in anything blindly, nor should you. I will try to be more respectful and understanding.

-Jordan
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD,
My Apologies if I have broken any site rules, that was not my intention. As a former Christian I know what it feels like to be saved, I didn't want to give it up for anything.
Feeling good does not mean it's true, I would be happy to accept Jesus in my life again if the evidence can be provided. I do not believe in anything blindly, nor should you. I will try to be more respectful and understanding.

-Jordan
I often ask this of people when they ask for evidence:
What evidence would be proof enough for you?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

B. W. wrote:WWJD?
What Would Jehosaphat Do. No, no, that's What Would Jeconiah Do. Or is it What Would Jeroboam Do?

The 1-800-FOR-GIVE would be a great bumper sticker but what are the chances of finding it in Baal Peor?

FL
...chances of finding it in Baal Peor?

None - they did not have cars...
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

As a former Christian I know what it feels like to be saved, I didn't want to give it up for anything.
Can you direct us to the bible where it talks about "feeling saved" and how that defines being a Christian?
I'm always amazed that people don't see the contradiction in claiming to have been a 'genuine' Christian, and in the same breath say there is nothing genuine about it. And then expect us to take them seriously.

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

snorider wrote:As a former Christian I know what it feels like to be saved, I didn't want to give it up for anything.
I hate to tell you this snorider, but there is no such thing as a former Christian. It would be more correct to say that you formerly lived as a Christian, just as I formerly lived as an American when I was in the USA. But I was never an American, and you were never a Christian.

Sorry.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Yeah...former christian isn't really right, perhaps a former follower of a christian denomination.
If a person is a Christian (and I hate to use the word "true" before it), then it means the HS is dwelling withing Him/Her.
I think that many people believe that, because they follow a Christian denomination, that makes them "automatically" Christian, like being born in a country makes you a citizen, but that isn't how it works and, to be honest, I don't know of any denomination that teaches that...
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Yep - HUGE difference between merely BELIEVING in Jesus, and in making Him LORD! And you'll never know what being a Christian is until you have done that. And that requires a leap of faith - but certainly not a BLIND faith. God has given us ample reasons and powerful evidences that we need to receive Jesus as Lord - but WE still have to do that. MERE belief is not enough.

Belief that you ACT on to receive Jesus, through faith, that's a far different thing. God makes that possible, initiates, prompts and completes that faith in He who RESPONDS with ACTIVE, OBEDIENT faith. But if one is looking for faith through absolute proof that they can touch and hold - that's not available. Yet God has given us such an overwhelming amount of evidence that He exists and that Jesus is His Son, that you can keep intensely staring at the tiny snowflakes of "counter evidences" that keep you in doubt, OR you can embrace God's avalanche of truth and evidences that are totally unreasonable to deny. And the more you know about such evidences of truth, the MORE unreasonable doubt and resistance will make. But for the one who is SINCERELY (very key, that word) searching, it will become increasingly difficult to deny Jesus, and in fact will be come ever-more-difficult work!