The bible. Should we it take it literally ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
rodrigoeleuterio
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The bible. Should we it take it literally ?

Post by rodrigoeleuterio »

Should we take every passage of the biblie literaly, or think that they are stories with a meaning that will guide us to a better life and a better interaction with god?

God bless you all!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The bible. Should we it take it literally ?

Post by RickD »

rodrigoeleuterio wrote:Should we take every passage of the biblie literaly, or think that they are stories with a meaning that will guide us to a better life and a better interaction with god?

God bless you all!
It depends. What do you mean by, "literally". A literal reading doesn't always mean literal and concrete. A passage's literal meaning might be symbolic. A passage's literal meaning has to be understood in its proper context. When a law in deuteronomy for example, says"Thou shalt not...", should we take that literally? We need to know the context in which the verse was written. If it was written to a specific people at a specific time, then that's its literal meaning.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

The Bible is a revelation of the things God wants us to know. Many parts are a record of historical events and should be interpreted literally, just as we would interpret any other historical account. It uses figures of speech and parables that aren't to be interpreted literally and poetical parts, such as the Psalms, sometimes use figurative language but if we simply apply common sense and interpret the Bible as we would any other kind of literature we can tell which part aren't literal.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

rodrigoeleuterio wrote:Should we take every passage of the biblie literaly, or think that they are stories with a meaning that will guide us to a better life and a better interaction with god?

God bless you all!
A literal interpretation of the Bible is the best unless the context clearly suggests otherwise.

On the other hand, a mystical/allegorical interpretation allows you to stuff the Bible with whatever meaning you see fit.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

It really does depend on the specific scripture that you are looking at, there are areas of scripture which are best interpreted in a poetic sense and there are also areas which are best interpreted in a literal sense. I guess this is where the main issue of interpretation of Biblical scripture lies, what exactly do we take as literal/poetic and do the results of your interpretation line up with other scripture in the Bible also.

God bless,

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Sam1995 wrote:It really does depend on the specific scripture that you are looking at, there are areas of scripture which are best interpreted in a poetic sense and there are also areas which are best interpreted in a literal sense. I guess this is where the main issue of interpretation of Biblical scripture lies, what exactly do we take as literal/poetic and do the results of your interpretation line up with other scripture in the Bible also.

God bless,

SB
What do you mean by a ''poetic'' interpretation???

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Sorry, you're right - I didn't make that clear at all! It's a term I've heard used again and again and again by my philosophy teacher, I guess the best way to actually define it would be a liberal approach to scripture, that it isn't all literal historical accounts, but that parts of biblical scripture are actually metaphoric language and symbolic of a greater meaning than the actual words on the page, whether or not you could ever classify that as being "poetic," well, at least it sounds clever! ;)

SB
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Sam1995 wrote:I guess the best way to actually define [poetic interpretation] would be a liberal approach to scripture, that it isn't all literal historical accounts, but that parts of biblical scripture are actually metaphoric language and symbolic of a greater meaning than the actual words on the page, whether or not you could ever classify that as being "poetic," well, at least it sounds clever!
OK...then that sounds like the Allegorical Method of interpretation, where words & phrases do not carry the meanings they commonly have. Instead, they are infused with new and ''deeper'' meanings according to the whim of the interpreter.

The main advantage to this method is that you can have the Bible say whatever you want it to say.

FL :twisted:

+ + +

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Sam1995 wrote:I guess the best way to actually define [poetic interpretation] would be a liberal approach to scripture, that it isn't all literal historical accounts, but that parts of biblical scripture are actually metaphoric language and symbolic of a greater meaning than the actual words on the page, whether or not you could ever classify that as being "poetic," well, at least it sounds clever!
OK...then that sounds like the Allegorical Method of interpretation, where words & phrases do not carry the meanings they commonly have. Instead, they are infused with new and ''deeper'' meanings according to the whim of the interpreter.

The main advantage to this method is that you can have the Bible say whatever you want it to say.

FL :twisted:
Very good point my friend, I guess that's where these "interpretors" must be very careful that they don't take what is written and totally defy the actual meaning of it, so there as you'd already know is where they would have to look at context and things like that. But yes, leaving it open to more interpretation allows more room for "creativity" <-- there's a nice way to put it! :lol:

SB y>:D<
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

When I was a teenager, I used to have an English teacher from Londonderry...Mrs Paula McCafferty...do you know her???

FL :mrgreen:

+ + +

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

What school did you go to mate? I've heard of a number of people by that surname, so figuring out what school she was a part of may help!

SB 8)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

I was joking, Sam! How could you possibly know an old lady from Londonderry who emmigrated to Canada 40 years ago?!

FL 8-}2

+ + +

+ + +
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I was joking, Sam! How could you possibly know an old lady from Londonderry who emmigrated to Canada 40 years ago?!

FL 8-}2
Oops, didn't realise the Canada bit! That's a bit awkward isn't it...

It's a small world ;)

SB
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:When I was a teenager, I used to have an English teacher from Londonderry...Mrs Paula McCafferty...do you know her???

FL :mrgreen:
FL, I think I know her. I believe we met at a teacher's convention on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, back in the mid 1990's. Very nice old lady with a strange accent. Does that sound like her?

On that note, I had a childhood friend who moved to the Montreal area. He's about 5 ft 11 inches tall, 180 lbs. Brown hair, brown eyes. Do you know him?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:FL, I think I know [Paula McCafferty]. I believe we met at a teacher's convention on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, back in the mid 1990's. Very nice old lady with a strange accent. Does that sound like her?

On that note, I had a childhood friend who moved to the Montreal area. He's about 5 ft 11 inches tall, 180 lbs. Brown hair, brown eyes. Do you know him?
Well, Paula was young and pretty when I knew her but she would be an old lady by now. And what were you doing at a teacher's convention????? As for your childhood friend, well, if he moved to Canada, you know he's a dope.

FL :bag:

+ + +

+ + +