Do you have Faith?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Do you have Faith?

Post by RickD »

I've never seen...
how can you...
What in the world...

Snorider, I don't know what to say. Honestly. Rarely am I at a complete loss for words. oh wait, I do have one word: exegesis.

I think I need a drink. :shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

You say you haven't claimed any extraordinary feelings of being saved? I'm non religious now, but grew up catholic, being saved is wonderful, but it doesn't make it true. How can you say "I have no extraordinary "feelings" brought about by my being saved? I don't understand. You obviously have never been saved if it's just blah.
Being saved is wonderful?
It sounds as if you are saying you were truly "saved," yet out of the other side of your mouth that there is nothing true at all about being saved. Surely you can see the contradiction here. You claim that feelings like the one's you experienced determine true salvation, and if one is just 'blah' then they weren't truly saved. Yet again, being saved isn't really real according to you. And you expect us to take you seriously. You have been confronted with your error. It's obvious. Will you continue to go on with this line of thinking or do the wise thing and abandon it. I hope you understand that to claim to have been really saved, is to claim that salvation is real, not just a feeling. If you claim to have had a feeling, then you've already been shown that 'feelings' do not determine salvation in the Christian religion. Maybe you are talking about some other religion. Can you show us anything from the Bible where feelings determine salvation?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by snorider »

RickD wrote:I've never seen...
how can you...
What in the world...

Snorider, I don't know what to say. Honestly. Rarely am I at a complete loss for words. oh wait, I do have one word: exegesis.

I think I need a drink. :shock:
Absolutely, I look at it from a logical point of view. It's written in black and white, how are people suppose to interpret it?

This is God's word, is it not? How should it be interpreted? With a feeling that makes it OK? That makes it true?

Our young people are reading this and told to believe or have faith, how does this not trouble you as an educated adult?

Faith is to trust that something is true without evidence.

If it isn't God or Jesus, should someone have faith in another idea? Why does religion make it OK?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Absolutely, I look at it from a logical point of view. It's written in black and white, how are people suppose to interpret it?
Interperet with context.
This is God's word, is it not? How should it be interpreted? With a feeling that makes it OK? That makes it true?
Jesus is God's word, the Bible is divinely inspired but written by humans.
Our young people are reading this and told to believe or have faith, how does this not trouble you as an educated adult?
Not the young people I know, 1 Thessalonians 5:21
You have been shown numerous times that the definition of faith has a different meaning for a Christian, read back through this thread to find it.
If it isn't God or Jesus, should someone have faith in another idea? Why does religion make it OK?
You can have faith in whatever you want, choose wisely.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote: Interperet with context.
I provided full context here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 2&start=15
Genesis 4 for starters.
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Jesus is God's word, the Bible is divinely inspired but written by humans.
Did you not read my question?

Let me try what you did:
Muhammad is God's word, the Qur'an is divinely inspired but written by humans.
Joeseph Smith is God's word, the Book of Mormon is divinely inspired by humans.

Danieltwotwenty wrote: Not the young people I know, 1 Thessalonians 5:21
You should not preach about context when you cannot uphold the rule yourself. This is regarding prophecies, most of this is pertaining to individuals, but what you quoted is out of context and incorrect.

Full Context:
1 Thessalonians 5
New International Version (NIV)
The Day of the Lord

5 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Final Instructions

12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

25 Brothers and sisters, pray for us. 26 Greet all God’s people with a holy kiss. 27 I charge you before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers and sisters.

28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Danieltwotwenty wrote:You have been shown numerous times that the definition of faith has a different meaning for a Christian, read back through this thread to find it.

The definition of Faith is very clear.
There is a standard that ALL humans agree on, math is not different between cultures. Do not expect the rest of the world to adhere to your "Christian dictionary".
Danieltwotwenty wrote:You can have faith in whatever you want, choose wisely.
Or what? Is that what you tell your children? "choose wisely."?

I'm trying to be as polite as possible, you told me in another thread that your children were going to a secular school and free to choose.

Your statement "choose wisely" is threatening and contradictory to what you said in another thread.

Thanks,
-Jordan
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Your statement "choose wisely" is threatening and contradictory to what you said in another thread.
There are no theats involved in this statement, there is no contradiction, you are reading something in that just isnt there.

I try to instruct my kids as best as possible but ultimately it is up to them to decide for themselves and yes I do hope they use their wisdom and choose wisely.
There is no threat I just hope that they do.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
There are no theats involved in this statement, there is no contradiction, you are reading something in that just isnt there.

I try to instruct my kids as best as possible but ultimately it is up to them to decide for themselves and yes I do hope they use their wisdom and choose wisely.
There is no threat I just hope that they do.

Dan
Cherry Picking again, do you just read the end of every thread and respond to one question?
Last edited by snorider on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

The only other thing above was what you quoted me saying, and no I didn't read it because I wrote it.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Ok I see, you have inserted your questions into my quote so they look one in the same. Please learn how to use the quote function properly to save on confusion.

Once you have sorted it put so it is properly ledgible and I will respond to it.

The best way to do it is to open another Tab to G&S then copy the part you want to respond to, highlight it and click the quote button

Then type your response below like this, see how there is now a distinction between what I wrote here and above.

Once you have done that I will respond.