Do we got straight to Heaven Or Hell something new to read

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
jezzer
Familiar Member

Do we got straight to Heaven Or Hell something new to read

Post by jezzer »

I was just doing a search and came across this what do you think of it all im now :econfused:

http://www.roadtobetterliving.com/HTML/StateOfDead.html
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Do we got straight to Heaven Or Hell something new to re

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is important to realize that the Hebrews had different notions of life after death and life AFTER life after death.
The Saudacee didn't believe in life after death or the resurrection.
The Pharissee and the Essen did.
Jesus taught life after death and the resurrection.
WLC's view:
http://www.reasonablefaith.org/transcri ... hen-we-die
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:It is important to realize that the Hebrews had different notions of life after death and life AFTER life after death.
The Saudacee didn't believe in life after death or the resurrection.
The Pharissee and the Essen did.
Jesus taught life after death and the resurrection.
WLC's view:
http://www.reasonablefaith.org/transcri ... hen-we-die
Very good article Paul from Craig...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
DRDS
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by DRDS »

Awesome article from WLC! :D
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

The afterlife from the OP was a 7th day Adventist article which I seen David Asscherick "Discover Prophecy" ... good material. I firmly believe that Enoch and Elijah are not in heaven currently also.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

When Jesus was dying he promised the repentant criminal that he would be with him in Paradise that day. When a believer dies he goes immediately to be with Christ.

This isn't our final destination. The last part of the Bible describes the creation of a new earth which will be the final residence of all who are saved. We were made to live on this earth. Sin brought death and as a result we go someplace else when we die but in the end there will be new earth which is populated by the people who have become new as a result of their faith in Christ.

When an unsaved person dies he goes to a place called Hades. In Luke 16:19-31 Jesus tells of a man who ended up there. But there will be a final judgment after which all those in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire, which is Hell.
And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:13-14 ESV)
The translators of the King James Bible used the word "hell" to translate two different words in the New Testament, "Hades" and "Gehenna." This has caused some people to be confused about what happens after we die.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

The KJV translates 3 words as "hell" Gehenna, Hades, and Tartaroo in the NT and a 4th from the OT Sheol. I would strongly have any person search the bible for the doctrine of "immortality of the soul" Only Jesus has ascended to heaven, and our hope as saved Christians is not to become disembodied spirits (ghosts) it is for a resurrection to happen and it is at that 7th trumpet we put on immortality not before.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is no "immortality of the soul" in the bible, it is clear that the soul can be killed.
Of course, IF by immortality you mean come thing that can't die.
If, however, you are coming at it from the "highlander" immortality world, where one is immortal UNLESS one is KILLED, then yes there is an immortality of the soul doctrine in the bible, angelic beings being a prime example.
Unless of course one believes that angels do NOT have a soul.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Man is body, soul, and spirit. Just a thought, the spirit is the eternal "part" of man. Not eternal without beginning like God. But eternal, without end, once created by God for an eternal(outside time when this space-time universe is gone) relationship with the Creator.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Man is body, soul, and spirit. Just a thought, the spirit is the eternal "part" of man. Not eternal without beginning like God. But eternal, without end, once created by God for an eternal(outside time when this space-time universe is gone) relationship with the Creator.
Indeed, it was the Hellenistic influence that causes a "confusion" or "mixing" of soul and spirit.
Most of the time when people talk about soul, they mean spirit (going to heaven, being immortal)
One can possibly argue that they are the same thing or we can't have one without the other.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

I am not mixing up spirit and soul. I stated in my post that it is not our Christian hope to become disembodied "spirits" (ghosts) This is also something that was heavily influenced by the Hellenistic ideology. The bible does not teach that we have a divine inner "ghost" spirit that is a conscious entity apart from the body. This would imply that the second coming is of little importance or none at all. The last trumpet is when immortality happens for us, not before.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Spirit is not a 'Ghost", that is a Hellenestic view that caused the Apostles Like Paul and the apostolic fathers after him, to try to "fuse" soul and spirit.
In the greek world soul was good but spirit (which was to them a "ghost) was bad.
The spirit is given to Us by God, that is was makes us unique from all other living beings.
The soul is material, the spirit is heavenly, as Paul stated.
The spirit returns to God upon the death of our bodies and our bodies are resurrected when the spirit returns to it.
Our spirit is all that we are, our mind, our conscience.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

1stjohn0666 wrote: I would strongly have any person search the bible for the doctrine of "immortality of the soul"
The Bible doesn't teach the immortality of the soul but it does teach that our souls are eternal and continue to function after the body has died. In fact, anyone who hasn't repented of his sins and put his faith in Christ is already spiritually dead even though his body is alive.
And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.
(Ephesians 2:1-2 ESV)
Eternal life isn't a continued state of existence but a state of having our sins forgiven and knowing God, not just knowing about him.
And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
(John 17:3 ESV)

Only Jesus has ascended to heaven, and our hope as saved Christians is not to become disembodied spirits (ghosts) it is for a resurrection to happen and it is at that 7th trumpet we put on immortality not before.
Only Jesus has ascended bodily but the souls of all the saved people who have died are with him in Heaven.
I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
(Philippians 1:23 ESV)
But but salvation includes not only the salvation of our souls but the resurrection of our bodies.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are two different issues here:
Life after death - what happens after we die ( what happens to the soul and to the spirit)
Life AFTER life after death- the resurrection of the body.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

God's breath that sparks the life in us, is not a conscious entity apart from the body. The body without the spirit is dead. One could argue that only Jesus ascended to heaven bodily but some of those people also say Enoch and Elijah did that very same thing prior to the ascension of Jesus. I do not agree that the "spirit" of men returns to God, but rather it is the breath of God that returns to him as it was God breathed the life into us so that "man BECAME a living NEPHESH/SOUL" Also when Paul states "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" is not a proof text that one does "not surely die" (remember the serpents lie) but goes to heaven and lives in bliss, making the 2nd coming little or of no importance. Immortality happens at the last trumpet not before. Immortality = eternal life. If we read on a little Paul states that he desires to be clothed and not naked. This a hope for a glorified body.