BIBLE: Literally or Not

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: BIBLE: Literally or Not

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, all I am reading here are contradicting stories about an extremely important event.
This actually adds to the validity of the Bible and does not detract from it, it is quite well established that it is normal if people see a certain situation and then write about it, some of the details are going to be different.

It would be quite strange and unrealistic if all accounts were exactly the same without any errors.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:This actually adds to the validity of the Bible and does not detract from it, it is quite well established that it is normal if people see a certain situation and then write about it, some of the details are going to be different.

It would be quite strange and unrealistic if all accounts were exactly the same without any errors.
I would say without any variance. Two people can witness the same event and give different testimony yet both be without error.
We have established that scripture has to be taken with a grain of salt. If we can't literally trust the Bible, the inspired word of God. What basis is there for establishing my lifestyle from it?
We have? Wow! Now if 'grain of salt' means proper exegesis then Amen. Otherwise, we, haven't established anything such. I would establish that claim as, "poppycock."

The gospel of Peter is just a giant straw man. Seems absurd to bring it up amongst a group of people who outright reject it as having any association with the four Gospels.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, all I am reading here are contradicting stories about an extremely important event.
This actually adds to the validity of the Bible and does not detract from it, it is quite well established that it is normal if people see a certain situation and then write about it, some of the details are going to be different.

Have you read the studies about eye witness testimony?

http://www.innocenceproject.org/underst ... cation.php

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20 ... versky.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_testimony

There have been several cases of hundreds of people reporting a UFO siting in one night that turned out to be the planet Venus:

http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/Venusufo.htm
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

snorider wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Have you read the studies about eye witness testimony?

http://www.innocenceproject.org/underst ... cation.php

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20 ... versky.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_testimony

There have been several cases of hundreds of people reporting a UFO siting in one night that turned out to be the planet Venus:

http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/Venusufo.htm

So you are saying we cannot trust anything anyone says, hmmmmmmm right, well I reject what you say based on your assumption that nothing is trust worthy.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

jlay wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:This actually adds to the validity of the Bible and does not detract from it, it is quite well established that it is normal if people see a certain situation and then write about it, some of the details are going to be different.

I would say without any variance. Two people can witness the same event and give different testimony yet both be without error.
We have established that scripture has to be taken with a grain of salt. If we can't literally trust the Bible, the inspired word of God. What basis is there for establishing my lifestyle from it?
We have? Wow! Now if 'grain of salt' means proper exegesis then Amen. Otherwise, we, haven't established anything such. I would establish that claim as, "poppycock."

The gospel of Peter is just a giant straw man. Seems absurd to bring it up amongst a group of people who outright reject it as having any association with the four Gospels.
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Leviticus 24:16

16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 13:5-10

5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you.

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. 9 You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29)
"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" .

Yes, with a grain of salt. I would prefer that my kids are not killed for being disobedient.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Oh dear ....... the law was not written for us....it was writen for the Israelites....maybe you should read what the new testament has to say about the law....in particular what Jesus has to say.... the law was literal but not designed for us.

I really can't stress it enough, CONTEXT is very important and sound EXEGESIS is required to gain an understanding of the texts.

Dan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Oh dear ....... the law was not written for us....it was writen for the Israelites....maybe you should read what the new testament has to say about the law....in particular what Jesus has to say.... the law was literal but not designed for us.

I really can't stress it enough, CONTEXT is very important and sound EXEGESIS is required to gain an understanding of the texts.

Dan

Are you serious? That is your reply?

The bible is the inspired word of GOD is it not?

Exegesis (from the Greek ἐξήγησις from ἐξηγεῖσθαι 'to lead out') is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially a religious text. Traditionally the term was used primarily for exegesis of the Bible; however, in contemporary usage it has broadened to mean a critical explanation of any text, and the term "Biblical exegesis" is used for greater specificity.

What a cop out, it's written in BLACK AND WHITE, the inspired word of God.

We know how subtle the child mind is, if an adult is influenced by certain ideas, if Exegesis is required to fully understand anything why should we expect children to?

Child perception: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 44A#t=168s

Context, would you like me to post the entire chapter for every verse? How does it make it right? It's disgusting in context or without.

That's a serious problem here, this or that MAKES IT RIGHT to commit atrocious crimes against humanity because of religious CONTEXT?

I suppose if I was a Christian, had the "feeling" I would interpret this differently. If you are a Christian and disregard the statement's above you are picking an choosing what you like.

The time when I was a Christian I've never heard a Priest talk or interpret the negative parts of the Bible unless it was to reinforce the idea of hell.

My overall point here is for children, the Bible is full of ugly passages.

We should not be baptizing, mutilating children without their consent.
We should not be pushing ANY religion on them, let them choose for themselves.

Thanks,
Jordan
Last edited by snorider on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I think someone needs a big hug. y>:D<

My time talking with you sno is done, because you have ears yet do not hear, you have eyes but do not see.

Why are you wasting your time here, what is your purpose here, what do you hope to acheive, you need to ask yourself these question and maybe read the board guidelines and ask your self is this the place for me.

You just seem to repeat yourself over and over, kinda reminds me of Magsolo, are you Magsolo??

Dan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I think someone needs a big hug. y>:D<

My time talking with you sno is done, because you have ears yet do not hear, you have eyes but do not see.

Why are you wasting your time here, what is your purpose here, what do you hope to acheive, you need to ask yourself these question and maybe read the board guidelines and ask your self is this the place for me.

You just seem to repeat yourself over and over, kinda reminds me of Magsolo, are you Magsolo??

Dan
You posted almost immediately after this post, so you haven't even looked at the video I posted about the subject of children perception. Do you not care?

"My time talking with you sno is done, because you have ears yet do not hear, you have eyes but do not see."

Eloquent but not much substance. You could have simply not responded at all.

Hugs for you too
Jordan
Last edited by snorider on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Any view whether it be religious, atheistic, political, social, ecological will be pushed onto children. It's a fact of life get over it.
Firstly your complaint about Child baptism is riddiclues, should we also not send children to school until they can decide if they want to go for themselves.

Secondly the circumcision was for the Jewish nation (possibly because of hygine issues) not for us and I agree that people should leave childrens genitils alone, but this is not restricted to just religious people, I know many an atheist that has had their own children done. As I have stated earlier, circumcision became popular after the two great wars because of hygine and not due to religious practice.

Dan
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

u posted almost immediately after this post, so you haven't even looked at the video I posted about the subject of children perception. Do you not care?
There is nothing of substance to reply to in your posts, you have a beef with religion and i get that, other than that there is nothing to respond to.
Being a father I do care about my children and others children, that is why I think it is imperative that they know about Christ and his sacrifice for them.

Dan
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

so you haven't even looked at the video
I clicked on the link read the title and didn't want to waste 42 minutes of my life listening to atheistic rhetoric.

Dan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Any view whether it be religious, atheistic, political, social, ecological will be pushed onto children. It's a fact of life get over it.
Firstly your complaint about Child baptism is riddiclues, should we also not send children to school until they can decide if they want to go themselves.

Secondly the circumcision was for the Jewish nation (possibly because of hygine issues) not for us and I agree that people should leave childrens genitils alone, but this is not restricted to just religious people, I know many an atheist that has had their own children done. As I have stated earlier, circumcision became popular after the two great wars because of hygine and not due to religious practice.

Dan
"Firstly your complaint about Child baptism is riddiclues, should we also not send children to school until they can decide if they want to go themselves."
WOW, children are curious be default, they learn and experiment AS children.

"When you teach children that the world was created in 6 days, they lose that Scientific motivation, well that question is answered. Let's move on"

How can you compare the two? Cutting a child and putting them in a school? Are you serious?

"Secondly the circumcision was for the Jewish nation (possibly because of hygine issues) not for us and I agree that people should leave childrens genitils alone, but this is not restricted to just religious people, I know many an atheist that has had their own children done. As I have stated earlier, circumcision became popular after the two great wars because of hygine and not due to religious practice. "

Yes, there are health benefits for circumcision BUT that isn't why it was done, religious driven. The REASON for circumcision is the point. Circumcision has been practiced for centuries, it isn't until recent studies that showed the benefits.

The fact that recent studies show that it can be beneficial in preventing disease does not justify centuries of religious based circumcisions. A convenient coincidence for your argument.

I know you posted immediately after my post, have you/are you watching the video I posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 44A#t=168s
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

WOW, children are curious be default, they learn and experiment AS children.
Guided by an adult.
"When you teach children that the world was created in 6 days, they lose that Scientific motivation, well that question is answered. Let's move on"
You need to go to Bible school, because you have been told multiple times that the Bible does not say the Earth was created in 6 Literal days, the word in ancient hebrew is yom which has a few different meanings depending on context.
How can you compare the two? Cutting a child and putting them in a school? Are you serious?
I was talking about baptism not circumcision.
Ok lets see one is teaching about the natural world the other is teaching about the spiritual world, now lets see what do they have in common........ TEACHING!!!!

Yes, there are health benefits for circumcision BUT that isn't why it was done, religious driven. The REASON for circumcision is the point. Circumcision has been practiced for centuries, it isn't until recent studies that showed the benefits.
Pretty sure an all knowing God would know the benefits for a people without proper sanitation, like I have said multiple times in western culture it is not always a religious practice.

The fact that recent studies show that it can be beneficial in preventing disease does not justify centuries of religious based circumcisions. A convenient coincidence for your argument.
Again in western culture babies are cimcumcised by religious and non-religious alike, it is not confined to just religious organisations.
I know you posted immediately after my post, have you/are you watching the video I posted?
Nope, not going to watch 42 minutes of my life waste away, I would rather watch paint dry.

Dan
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Any view whether it be religious, atheistic, political, social, ecological will be pushed onto children. It's a fact of life get over it.
I can't let this pass, it's cynicle and outrageous.

I'm flabbergasted. If this is your attitude, our children do not have a future.
Religion CAN be seperate, JFK a devout Christian understood this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAvHHTt2czU