Animal Wildlife encounters

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Animal Wildlife encounters

Post by B. W. »

Have you had an encounter with nature's wild side?

My wife I and go day hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park often. Our hikes usually are 8 to 10 miles round trip, short ones.. Half up hill and half down. In the Rockies you'll encounter many animals, usually Elk and Dear, We've been chased off a trial last Fall by to Fighting Bucks. We turned a corner along the trail and there they were. Saw us and thought were were there for a fight. We left right quick.

Last week before I left out of town for a few days, along Sand Beach Lake Trail, my wife and I were resting along a stretch of trial on the side of a canyon. There was about a 75 degree slope going up hill and about a 45 degree downhill side of trial. We were sitting there eating some grapes, resting. My wife jumps up with a start and ask - what's that. About 50 feet up the trial coming out of tree laden turn, came along an ambling Moose. Moose are bigger than Elk. First one I saw that close. My wife took off down the trial and left me holding the gear. Here come the moose so I grabbed the gear and told her run up that steep canyon side in the loose pine needles toward some trees. Here came the moose, stopped to look at us, snorted a bit, then ambled off. Never thought I'd see a Moose where there was no water, walking along a canyon trial - but what the heck - they live there.

Now today, we went to Crosier Mountain Trail, a 9 mile round trip. Little over two miles up the trial, beautiful place to hike outside the National Park, we again decided time to take a break. Sure enough we were eating grapes, wind was blowing. My wife heard a noise. With the wind and a little hard of hearing I did not hear it. So I asked her to describe it. I said that is the kind of sound big cats make. Yes there was big kitty up there. He did not like us. So we politely conceded and withdrew back down the trial. The beast, can't describe this sound other that a yelp - like how cats yak up a hair ball, we heard the underbrush and twigs breaking. We couldn't see it due to the steep slope and trees but it was making sure we were leaving, or maybe wanted some grapes.

I found out later that big cats, Mountain Lions make that yelping sound and a soft cat screeching noise to ward away anyone approaching its kill. Guess it didn't want the grapes. Nevertheless we decide to hike another trail miles away from this one just to get a little exercise on a fine day. I know some of you probably wished the Big Kitty made a snack out of me but I had grapes, a big stick, and a hefty walking staff. Made sure my wife stayed close and that I was between the Mountain Lion and her. With big cats like this, best to stay in a group and and not scatter or run. Learned a new meaning to 1 Peter 5:8 though, yes, they make noise, rather quiet warnings, so if you don't heed or recognize the sound you end up blundering into one and then you're lion food.

Here I am more nervous to take a walk in town this time of year due to the bears...Geeze... not anymore...

You all have any Animal Wildlife encounters you would like to share - please do...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Animal Wildlife encounters

Post by Philip »

Whenever you are going into areas with dangerous animals - especially large carnivores - always, ALWAYS carry - AND KEEP IT IN YOUR HAND or an easy to access pocket - a canister of pepper spray that has a range of 15-20 feet. Only canisters that are EPA approved can guarantee your survival in the event of a large bear attack. And if a canister doesn't have an EPA stamp of approval, don’t buy it. I'd also recommend that you actually carry TWO canisters, just in case of the unlikely failure of one, you'd have a backup.

Here's some common-sense advice concerning hiking in habitats with dangerous animals: http://www.keystoneconservation.us/keys ... users.html
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Good advice Phil.
I hear those CO2 noise cans work well too.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

B. W. Wrote:
You all have any Animal Wildlife encounters you would like to share - please do...
I stepped on a fire ant mound the other day. Does that count?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Kenzel »

My family and I live right by Grand Teton National Park, so we've seen a lot of wildlife. We've never encountered a bear or a mountain lion while walking on a trail, though (thankfully!). My dad always gets really nervous about running into bears while hiking. One time, he and my mom were hiking up a trail, when my dad thought that he had suddenly seen a bear. He screamed and started running down the trail (he left my mom in the dust, too :lol: ). Mom thought it was suspicious to see a bear around considering there were so many people hiking that day, so she looked to see what my dad saw and it turned out to be a big dog. My dad still carries around a can of bear spray, just in case...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenzel wrote:My family and I live right by Grand Teton National Park, so we've seen a lot of wildlife. We've never encountered a bear or a mountain lion while walking on a trail, though (thankfully!). My dad always gets really nervous about running into bears while hiking. One time, he and my mom were hiking up a trail, when my dad thought that he had suddenly seen a bear. He screamed and started running down the trail (he left my mom in the dust, too :lol: ). Mom thought it was suspicious to see a bear around considering there were so many people hiking that day, so she looked to see what my dad saw and it turned out to be a big dog. My dad still carries around a can of bear spray, just in case...
Who said chivalry is dead? :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I came across a bunyip one day while I was down at the billabong near my home, I sat and chatted with it for awhile because it was lonely and sad.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I came across a bunyip one day while I was down at the billabong near my home, I sat and chatted with it for awhile because it was lonely and sad.
Bunyip? Kangaroo? Dingo? Wallaby? Koala? Ostrich? Your wildlife seems like it was designed by Disney. (I guess that's why they call your country Oz.) Why don't you guys have real animals like the rest of the world: elk, deer, bear, wolves, cougar, et al...?

FL y3:-O
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I came across a bunyip one day while I was down at the billabong near my home, I sat and chatted with it for awhile because it was lonely and sad.
Bunyip? Kangaroo? Dingo? Wallaby? Koala? Ostrich? Your wildlife seems like it was designed by Disney. (I guess that's why they call your country Oz.) Why don't you guys have real animals like the rest of the world: elk, deer, bear, wolves, cougar, et al...?

You just jelly. :razzing:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:You just jelly.
Nice picture of yourself with your kangaroo friend! ...but please explain why your profile says that your favorite animal is a Labrador? Why didn't you choose one of those freak animals from Oz as favorite? ...like a platypus or something else local???

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:You just jelly.
Nice picture of yourself with your kangaroo friend! ...but please explain why your profile says that your favorite animal is a Labrador? Why didn't you choose one of those freak animals from Oz as favorite? ...like a platypus or something else local???

FL y:-?

I grew up watching skippy the bush kangaroo ....see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHY6n907OE

But I do love my labs.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:
B. W. Wrote:
I stepped on a fire ant mound the other day. Does that count?
Barefooted? Yes that counts a little, laying down on one to sunbathe counts a bit more...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys