Nueroscience

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
hopefulskeptic
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Nueroscience

Post by hopefulskeptic »

I would say I am a christian, and I sincerily desire to be. But I am also someone who must look deeply into everything I believe to make sure that it is true. There are many things that make me think that there is no God and life's meaning is ambiguous. I will start with the idea that scares me the most, that we have no free will. Many nueroscientists believe that the conscience mind is nothing more than a filter for the 'unconscience', which is where all our decisions are truely made. For the full arguement look up Jerry A. Coyne. Can anyone refute this? The thought of free will being an illusion rattles me greatly, and I would love for someone to refute. But, again, I can't just ignore it.
Last edited by hopefulskeptic on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Nueroscience

Post by bippy123 »

hopefulskeptic wrote:I would say I am a christian, and I sincerily desire to be. But I am also someone who must go look deeply into everything I believe to make sure that it is true. There are many things that make me think that there is no God and life's meaning is ambiguous. I will start with the idea that scares me the most, that we have no free will. Many nueroscientists believe that the conscience mind is nothing more than a filter for the 'unconscience', which is where all our decisions are truely made. For the full arguement look up Jerry A. Coyne. Can anyone refute this? The thought of free will being an illusion rattles me greatly, and I would love for someone to refute. But, again, I can't just ignore it.
Hello hopefull, welcome to the forum :)
Here is an article that seems to do a pretty good job of refuting Coyne on this. http://www.uncommondescent.com/intellig ... will-dead/

,but what I like even more is the compelling evidence that favors the human consciousness living even when the brain stops functioning, as has been experienced by people that have had veredical near death experiences and regular near death experiences: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =6&t=37962
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

hopefulskeptic wrote:I would say I am a christian, and I sincerily desire to be. But I am also someone who must go look deeply into everything I believe to make sure that it is true. There are many things that make me think that there is no God and life's meaning is ambiguous. I will start with the idea that scares me the most, that we have no free will. Many nueroscientists believe that the conscience mind is nothing more than a filter for the 'unconscience', which is where all our decisions are truely made. For the full arguement look up Jerry A. Coyne. Can anyone refute this? The thought of free will being an illusion rattles me greatly, and I would love for someone to refute. But, again, I can't just ignore it.
Then keep this in mind, if there is no God then free will is most certainly an illusion brought on by nothing more than pure chance and chemical reactions. Fatalistic determinism.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I guess you are wired that way. :pound:
Well, if there is no free will, then your being rattled is also a result of this. Would you say that your concerns are really your concerns or just the result of unguided natural processes?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

EVERYTHING is subject to our perception of reality, including what ANY neuroscience says.
hopefulskeptic
Newbie Member

Post by hopefulskeptic »

bippy123 wrote:
Here is an article that seems to do a pretty good job of refuting Coyne on this. http://www.uncommondescent.com/intellig ... will-dead/

,but what I like even more is the compelling evidence that favors the human consciousness living even when the brain stops functioning, as has been experienced by people that have had veredical near death experiences and regular near death experiences: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =6&t=37962
Thank you! I greatly enjoyed the links, I am no longer rattled. :D This is a great forum.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

hopefulskeptic wrote:
bippy123 wrote:

Thank you! I greatly enjoyed the links, I am no longer rattled. :D This is a great forum.
Your very welcome my friend. God bless you always
If you ever have any more question please don't hesitate to post them. :)